A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 315,253
Currently Running With Scissors:
364 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rasta Tam Dreaddie Hats w/bills attatched!  (Read 36291 times)
Tags for this thread: tam  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2005 08:50:54 AM »

These hats were all made by moi, and I knew how to make a tam, but needed help on the bill part, so I went to this website that I somehow lost track of =0( 
  It was a site much like this one, but it was specifically for design type stuff.  Like mostly making your own patterns, and girls helping eachother achieve the desired look with their projects.  So I asked how to make a bill, and a bill pattern I received! here's that:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/stitchn/13716.html **edit-> this link is out of date!  but I have put up the bill pattern for all to see!  just scroll down this page!**
And here's the pix, there's a few, so hold on!
Thanks!
Sarah

Let me know what you think!  I'm just surprised I can fit all my hair inside!  It's down to my BUTT, now! Shocked
THANKS AGAIN!  &PEACE!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005 03:37:25 PM by patchworkarmy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

betony
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005 09:43:32 AM »

Awesome job! Nothin like creating your own head wear to hold your home grown dreaddies! I am sporting something similar~ a crocheted open top billed had thing my SnB girlie made for me. Hoorah!

Can't wait to see your other creations!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Planting kindness in the far corners of the multiverse.
Ravelry: woodbetony
sewstrange
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005 09:57:12 AM »

Those are beautiful. I would love to see your dreadies. I've been thinking about doing that to my hair for some time now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gretelgrrl
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005 10:35:10 AM »

That's beautiful!  Great stitching and colors.  It's really well-shaped, too.
Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005 12:19:36 PM »

I've seen patterns for tams b4 and never fully liked them...but yours are amazing!!! Wink  Love your color combos too!
Ive always wanted one especially with a rim
I just started pulling my dreads out, its been painful on the scalp, but Im almost done (dont want to cut my hair off so Im enduring it)
happy crafting,     ~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005 03:40:23 PM »

Thanks, man!  My dreads are Here!:

I started growin' em when I met my BF about 4 and half years ago!  I think when I cut em off, I"ll go for a MO-HAUK!  So awesome....
Thanks,
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzah
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005 04:43:07 PM »

i really LOVE your tam!  and your dreads are beautiful!  would you mind sharing your pattern for the tam?  and i tried to view the pattern for the bill, but it said i didnt have permission to view the page...   

thank you so much,
Z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love itself is the actual form of God."
Sri Ramana Maharshi

"Keep Quiet Here and Now. 
You are Happiness, you are Peace, you are Freedom.
Do not entertain any notions that you are in trouble. 
Be kind to yourself.
Open to your Heart and simply Be."

Poonjaji
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005 05:37:28 PM »

Nice work. You have AMAZING eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005 02:03:38 AM »

OK, now I'm blushing....damn. Quit that! 
  Heh, Ok.  Let me think.  Oh yeah.  The tam pattern is super easy and really adaptable to any gauge or kind of yarn.  And when I write it out, you're gunna go- Dooohhhh!  It's so obvious once you think it through.  Something I don't really do often.. =0)  I used to just feel things out and add increases and decreases whenever it looked like I needed them, but I find you get a much better shape when you pay attention to them and put them in at regular intervals. 
  So, for the tam, just
  --make a small circle (chain 3 or 4 usually) and join with slip stitch, then
  --chain up to whatever stitch you like to use if you like crocheting in rounds.  If you like to just go and go like I do in a spiral, you can kinda just start stitching.  I mainly use sc, and hdc I think it's called?  Where you do *yo, insert hook, pull up a loop, yo, and pull through all loops on hook*.  Anyway, then once you've got your circle,
   --do as many stitches as you can fit inside the circle- just working into the big hole there.  You'll probably get like, 6-12 maybe.  Try to get an even number.  Cause even numbers are cool and also divisible by 2. duh.  Ok, then.
  --Then the first time around, you're pretty much swatchin it- to see how many increases you'll need for the gauge and yarn you've got. Start out like this:  (use whatever stitch you want- I'll just use sc as an ex. and don't forget to mark the beginning of the rounds with something)
  --2 sc in every sc around.  then
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt st*, repeat from * to * across.
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt 2 st*;  repeat **
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt 3 st*; repeat **
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt 4 st*; repeat **
ETC. Keep going like this
  --until you can either tell that it's going to lay flat, or you can see that it's getting ripply (too many increases) or it's cupping into a dome shape (too few increases). 
  --If you have too few or too many increases, rip it back until you're at the part where you're stitching into the big circle opening, and if you have too many increases, do fewer stitches in the circie.  If you have too few increases, put more stitches into the circle.  Then rinse and repeat until you get it to lie pretty much flat. 
  -- then keep increasing like that, adding one more sc between increases every round, until the frizbee thing is pretty big- depends on the amount of dreads going in how big you want it.  Mine end up being about 12-13 inches for hats that fit a lot of dreads like mine.  Smaller for someone without dreads. 
  --Then do a few rounds even- no increases.  I do about 3 or 4 I think.  Then start decreasing.
  --Decrease in the same way as you increased.  Look at the last row on increases- how many sc were between increases? 12? 15?  Use that for the # of stitches between decreases, and work your way back down.  15, then 14, then 13, each round.  with the decreases between.  OK?
  Then once it fits your head, stop and work a couple rows even again.  then add the bill if you want. 
  ***I realize the page I linked to is gone or having issues, so here's that pattern.  I didn't write it, and I give mad props to the mama who did.  She rocks the house and was super kynd to share! 
  Adding the Bill:
   "used a worsted weight yarn and 5mm hook (size H?)

use a beret or tam recipe, something like this rasta tam or this granny beret might be neat.

When the crown of the hat is completed work the first two rows of sc for the band and tie off. (I started the band with a contrasting color.)

join yarn with a slip stitch about 15 sts from the center back.

row 1 - (working in the front loops only for this row) ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 24 sts turn

row 2 - ch 1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next 6 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 6 sts, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next st, turn

row 3 - ch 1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 9 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts, sc next 2 st tog, sc in next st, turn

row 4 - ch1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 13 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next sc, turn

row 5 - ch 1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 17 sc, 2 sc in next st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next st. tie off.

join yarn with a slip stitch to center back and work 3 rows sc around band and brim (last row can be in a contrasting color, if you want.)"
  In her own words, ladies.  You got it here!
OK, go be creative!! And post pics here when you're done!  I want to see, dammit!  Or at least send me a message and a link to your thread!
Peace!
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bagheraa

I'm not a llama! (I am a black leopard)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005 02:56:12 AM »

Your tams and your dreads are looking great. I am looking for a knitted pattern for mine though - don't know how to crochet.

bagheraa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bagheraa is on Ravelry Wink
zzah
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005 03:07:40 PM »

oooooohh thank u so much sarah!  i can't wait to get started!  i will post pics when i am done for sure!  :^)

peace n luv 2 u!
Z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sri Ramana Maharshi

Be kind to yourself.

Poonjaji
frogsrock
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005 05:00:40 PM »

what yarn did you use in the first, company and color
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005 11:29:29 PM »

For the first pic (the pretty blue one) I used Lion Brand Homespun Yarn in a color called: waterfall.  It's the coolest yarn ever!  It automatically has really slow stripe patterns that emerge while you're crocheting or knitting.  And I think that rocks. Personally.  The second one (white and bluish) is Lily's  sugar n' cream in a denim color, I think?  And the last one is (I think) Caron Sayelle. Not sure of the color.  I made it a while ago with yarn I got at a Rite Aid near my house.  It's super cheap, and I was super poor.  But the yarn has this cool whisper silouette to it that's pretty fun...FYI!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzah
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005 05:38:50 PM »

hi sarah!  i just wanted to thank you again, and let you know i made the tam part of the hat...  and i LOVE it!  it is just perfect!  the problem i am having is with the bill part...  but i am getting ready to start working on that again.  i had to put it down for a while, cuz i was getting a little frustrated and not taking my time.  also i will post a pic of the tam later on tonite, when my sister gets home with the camera  Smiley

okay peace and luv 2 u!
Z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sri Ramana Maharshi

Be kind to yourself.

Poonjaji
patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005 01:04:08 AM »

Cool, mama Z!  I'm SOOO glad it worked out for you!  The bill takes some more concentration what with all the counting and keeping track and all.  I like to avoid all that as much as possible, but alas. Sometimes, paying attention is inevitable.  Damn!
  Yeah, the bill patt. is for worsted weight, and I've found it to work really well!  When using other weights of yarn, or in different gauges, you'll have to adjust.  I haven't sat down to figure that out, yet. But I may havt to soon.  PLEASE post your pix here, or at least post up a link so we all (especially ME!) can see your beautiful creation(s?)!! 
  As a side note, I've just knit some felted slippers with my birthday yarn- lamb's pride worsted wool.  I've never worked with that before, and it's the best!  I hope to post pix of that soon!  I've felted 1 round in the washer, but they could stand to go again.  The pattern is from knitty, fyi.  OK, gotta run!
PEACE everybody!
<3Sarah<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzah
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005 11:26:34 AM »

sorry it has taken me so long to post these pics, but here they are...  Smiley

yeah i am going to slow it down and probably work on the bill again tonight...  i got kinda frustrated, so i started sewing instead to take a break...  Smiley  thank you so much for all your help sarah!  Smiley  and yeah paying attention sometimes isn't my strongest point!  hahahahahahahaha  ooooooh and i would love to see the slippers, if it's cool, when ur done...  i dont know if u have the book, hip to crochet, but they have this cool felted like messenger bag that is so beautiful to me... but the process of felting seems a little intimidating right now.  but i am sure i will be trying it soon.

ok, peace and luv sis Smiley
Z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sri Ramana Maharshi

Be kind to yourself.

Poonjaji
croshay
Hand made hats and accessories, original crochet patterns

the Original Croshay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005 08:35:54 PM »

Hey girl your hats look great! That was my pattern for a bill from my old Livejournal -- I'm glad you kept it I thought it was lost! So cool to see how you took off with it!!
I don't have dreads so I wear my tam more like a beret.. with the brim turned back..

cheers!!

-Laura
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005 08:41:17 PM by croshay » THIS ROCKS   Logged

patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005 03:42:04 PM »

croshay-  wow!! small world, huh?!?  THANK  YOU SO MUCH for that pattern!  I really do use it a LOT! =0)  And now all the kynd folks of craftster can use it, too!  And it will never be lost again! =0)

You were so cool to lend me a helping hand all that time ago, and I never forgot it!  Thanks again, mama! YOU ROCK!

Peace, Sarah~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pauly
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005 07:40:35 AM »

wow those are so hot, i wish i knew how to read patterns so i could make one.  Your dreads look really good too i can't wait till mine get that long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005 12:10:12 PM »

awh, thanks pauly!  You should learn how to read patterns- it's easy once you get the hang of it.  But I must admit- I winged it for quite a while before i started venturing out into the wide world of patterns!

And thanks for the dreadie comps!  Y'all just gotta be patient, patient, PATIENT!  I looked like a dork for months before I thought my dreads were even approaching cool. But that's what everyone has to go through.  So, buck up, man! =0)

peace!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RudOne
Lora

to begin again from the beginning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005 04:17:39 AM »

You're an absolute life saver!! My bf has dreads and I've made one hat for him but it just looks so much better with the bill, so I started a new one and I've spent half a day searching the net for a bill pattern that I can understand... I was sure I'd never get it done grrrrr. Thank you so much, your hats and dreads are beautiful by the way!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RudOne
Lora

to begin again from the beginning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005 06:24:04 AM »

here's the product (on me Smiley) The colors... well I think I'll use something else next time.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005 07:05:14 AM by RudOne » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2005 05:53:29 AM »

PatchworkArmy, thank you so much for the tutorial.  I made a hat from it and I love how it came out.  I am pretty proud of it and you can see it here

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67382.msg636539#msg636539

Thanks again for sharing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andy8715
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006 02:46:08 PM »

i can't get it to lay flat.  it's waayy ripply.  I suck at single crochet.  All i ever make are beanies in double.  Can you do this in double, do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest.com/andy8715
mommabear1963

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006 03:28:58 PM »

I have made several of these lately and do them mostly in *double crochet.  It works good.  In order to add some dimension I sometimes throw in a row of triple or single here and there, and maybe some clusters.  Keep experimenting, you will get something that works.  And if all else fails try steaming. 

*Sorry modify that to be half double crochet. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006 05:58:57 PM by mommabear1963 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

haloriot
S $ Millionaire

(too many cat friends)

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006 04:22:38 PM »

love the hat
and *sigh*
your dreadlocks are BEAUTIFUL.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What happened to Monday?"
"Irrelevant."
lvb56003
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006 10:00:40 AM »

You know I started growing locks and recently cut them off for a stupid reason but I was inspired by a girl who had a locked mohawk.  It was soooooo cute.  Your hat is awesome!

Leeanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andy8715
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006 12:58:57 PM »

I have made several of these lately and do them mostly in *double crochet.  It works good.  In order to add some dimension I sometimes throw in a row of triple or single here and there, and maybe some clusters.  Keep experimenting, you will get something that works.  And if all else fails try steaming. 

*Sorry modify that to be half double crochet. 

half double crochet you say.

interesting. that is one of my fave stitches.  I'm loopy.  So did you do the bill in that too or did you do it in single.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest.com/andy8715
mommabear1963

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2006 04:35:13 PM »

woop, did the bill in single crochet to make it stand out better/tighter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

croshay

the Original Croshay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2006 08:01:31 PM »

heres another tam with a soft brim I made recently, the "deluxe" model.. has a lil pocket on the inside!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommabear1963

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2006 04:31:20 AM »

Croshay, that hat looks great.  I love the little pocket.  What stitch did you use, I really like the look of it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

croshay

the Original Croshay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006 03:31:36 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley I used a combination of double, half double and single crochet stitches, the brim and pocket is done in single.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2006 05:35:51 AM »

that's so dope, croshay!  woah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2006 05:20:30 AM »

is there a knittig pattern that ppl know of to make one of these?, I have dreads and have been looking for a pattern for ages. I cant crochet, though my mom tryed to teach me once, i think I would rather knit it. So does anyone hve any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
abbynormal
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2006 02:14:38 PM »

Everyones tams look really great! I don't have dreads but I do hav thick hair! Great work and thnaks for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Good morning sunshine!
ladylinoleum
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2006 03:48:18 PM »

Love this and it's shaped perfectly.  Bravo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2006 03:38:49 AM »

there's a pattern in the stitch 'n bitch book nation book called: Headline news. It's a cabled newsboy hat with a bill attached.  Pretty damn cute.  It even says in the description, "...could double as a Rasta cap with a few minor tweaks." 

I'd suggest doing more increase and decrease rounds to make the overall hat bigger to accomodate for more hair.  The crocheted tams I've done are all just big huge disks on top with mirroring decrease rounds worked after you get to the size you want.  Do the decreases till the thing measures the size of the recipient's head where you want the hat to come to.  [[ or you could add a ribbing for the bottom band in which case it might look cool if you decreased so that it was a little bigger at the bottom than person's head so the ribbing (with smaller needles, of course) would sort of gather the bottom.  ]]

Just a thought...  =0)
BTW. thanks for the compliments! I'm amazed at how many posts this thread gets so long after it was written! It's great that it will always be here for new crocheters to learn from. Or for all the newbie heads out there who want to grow dreads and need some cool new hats to wear to show them off! 
****Long live craftster!****
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laneknees
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006 06:49:17 AM »

My boyfriend really wants one of these in rastafarian colours.
So do I ^ ^

I don't have dreads, but my hair is like 40" long, so I think I could use the space Smiley

everyone at my martial arts school either has or had dreadlocks, so it's pretty cool.

Speaking of other patterns, did any of you see the one in Knit 1 "the men's issue"? I modified it so it could fit more hair. and then about 4 people wanted me to make them one XD so of course I did

( I have some more pictures here https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=102701.0)

Now I have to make this one! fwee I love the pocket idea too. . . hmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swords and needles, they all make me happy

I will knit/crochet for sewed goods!

Yes, I now I have a blogggg

http://laneknees.blogspot.com/

Myspace
http://www.myspace.com/laneknees

DEVIANT ART!
http://www.slaymaker.deviantart.com
palerasta
schwing

taking the craft world one summer camp at a time

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2006 10:09:39 AM »

kick ass.  working on growing out my hair for dreds
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stop, don't shoot, biggity biggity boo.
Suburbanthrill
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2006 05:08:26 PM »

wow! i love this thread. I've wanted to dread my hair for a while now, but im not sure if i have the courage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dead End Girl made a promise to herself.
irish_chicky
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2006 05:21:44 PM »

i've had dreadlocks for a year and a bit now! Ilove them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2006 10:35:35 PM »

i've since cut mine off! and now I can wear all sorts of hats! yay!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stopthefacades
http://jecka.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2007 04:35:55 AM »

Thank you so much for sharing this. I'd been searching for a different kind of hat that I could make, & this one was just calling out to me, man. I don't have dreads, or even thick hair, but this hat is just awesome.

I decided against doing the bill because I'm too excited to take it off, & it's 4:30 in the morning here in California. Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Said he's on his own, but his own is you.

http://jecka.etsy.com
http://4474.blogspot.com
shescrafty209
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2007 06:29:54 AM »

Those hats are fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...