A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
JULY NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: It's time to enter FLIP FLOP FUSION! Enter your fab flip flop project now!
Total Members: 318,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rasta Tam Dreaddie Hats w/bills attatched!  (Read 34455 times)
Tags for this thread: tam  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2005 08:50:54 AM »

These hats were all made by moi, and I knew how to make a tam, but needed help on the bill part, so I went to this website that I somehow lost track of =0( 
  It was a site much like this one, but it was specifically for design type stuff.  Like mostly making your own patterns, and girls helping eachother achieve the desired look with their projects.  So I asked how to make a bill, and a bill pattern I received! here's that:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/stitchn/13716.html **edit-> this link is out of date!  but I have put up the bill pattern for all to see!  just scroll down this page!**
And here's the pix, there's a few, so hold on!
Thanks!
Sarah

Let me know what you think!  I'm just surprised I can fit all my hair inside!  It's down to my BUTT, now! Shocked
THANKS AGAIN!  &PEACE!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005 03:37:25 PM by patchworkarmy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

betony
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005 09:43:32 AM »

Awesome job! Nothin like creating your own head wear to hold your home grown dreaddies! I am sporting something similar~ a crocheted open top billed had thing my SnB girlie made for me. Hoorah!

Can't wait to see your other creations!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Planting kindness in the far corners of the multiverse.
Ravelry: woodbetony
sewstrange
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005 09:57:12 AM »

Those are beautiful. I would love to see your dreadies. I've been thinking about doing that to my hair for some time now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gretelgrrl
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005 10:35:10 AM »

That's beautiful!  Great stitching and colors.  It's really well-shaped, too.
Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005 12:19:36 PM »

I've seen patterns for tams b4 and never fully liked them...but yours are amazing!!! Wink  Love your color combos too!
Ive always wanted one especially with a rim
I just started pulling my dreads out, its been painful on the scalp, but Im almost done (dont want to cut my hair off so Im enduring it)
happy crafting,     ~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005 03:40:23 PM »

Thanks, man!  My dreads are Here!:

I started growin' em when I met my BF about 4 and half years ago!  I think when I cut em off, I"ll go for a MO-HAUK!  So awesome....
Thanks,
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzah
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005 04:43:07 PM »

i really LOVE your tam!  and your dreads are beautiful!  would you mind sharing your pattern for the tam?  and i tried to view the pattern for the bill, but it said i didnt have permission to view the page...   

thank you so much,
Z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love itself is the actual form of God."
Sri Ramana Maharshi

"Keep Quiet Here and Now. 
You are Happiness, you are Peace, you are Freedom.
Do not entertain any notions that you are in trouble. 
Be kind to yourself.
Open to your Heart and simply Be."

Poonjaji
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005 05:37:28 PM »

Nice work. You have AMAZING eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
patchworkarmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005 02:03:38 AM »

OK, now I'm blushing....damn. Quit that! 
  Heh, Ok.  Let me think.  Oh yeah.  The tam pattern is super easy and really adaptable to any gauge or kind of yarn.  And when I write it out, you're gunna go- Dooohhhh!  It's so obvious once you think it through.  Something I don't really do often.. =0)  I used to just feel things out and add increases and decreases whenever it looked like I needed them, but I find you get a much better shape when you pay attention to them and put them in at regular intervals. 
  So, for the tam, just
  --make a small circle (chain 3 or 4 usually) and join with slip stitch, then
  --chain up to whatever stitch you like to use if you like crocheting in rounds.  If you like to just go and go like I do in a spiral, you can kinda just start stitching.  I mainly use sc, and hdc I think it's called?  Where you do *yo, insert hook, pull up a loop, yo, and pull through all loops on hook*.  Anyway, then once you've got your circle,
   --do as many stitches as you can fit inside the circle- just working into the big hole there.  You'll probably get like, 6-12 maybe.  Try to get an even number.  Cause even numbers are cool and also divisible by 2. duh.  Ok, then.
  --Then the first time around, you're pretty much swatchin it- to see how many increases you'll need for the gauge and yarn you've got. Start out like this:  (use whatever stitch you want- I'll just use sc as an ex. and don't forget to mark the beginning of the rounds with something)
  --2 sc in every sc around.  then
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt st*, repeat from * to * across.
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt 2 st*;  repeat **
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt 3 st*; repeat **
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt 4 st*; repeat **
ETC. Keep going like this
  --until you can either tell that it's going to lay flat, or you can see that it's getting ripply (too many increases) or it's cupping into a dome shape (too few increases). 
  --If you have too few or too many increases, rip it back until you're at the part where you're stitching into the big circle opening, and if you have too many increases, do fewer stitches in the circie.  If you have too few increases, put more stitches into the circle.  Then rinse and repeat until you get it to lie pretty much flat. 
  -- then keep increasing like that, adding one more sc between increases every round, until the frizbee thing is pretty big- depends on the amount of dreads going in how big you want it.  Mine end up being about 12-13 inches for hats that fit a lot of dreads like mine.  Smaller for someone without dreads. 
  --Then do a few rounds even- no increases.  I do about 3 or 4 I think.  Then start decreasing.
  --Decrease in the same way as you increased.  Look at the last row on increases- how many sc were between increases? 12? 15?  Use that for the # of stitches between decreases, and work your way back down.  15, then 14, then 13, each round.  with the decreases between.  OK?
  Then once it fits your head, stop and work a couple rows even again.  then add the bill if you want. 
  ***I realize the page I linked to is gone or having issues, so here's that pattern.  I didn't write it, and I give mad props to the mama who did.  She rocks the house and was super kynd to share! 
  Adding the Bill:
   "used a worsted weight yarn and 5mm hook (size H?)

use a beret or tam recipe, something like this rasta tam or this granny beret might be neat.

When the crown of the hat is completed work the first two rows of sc for the band and tie off. (I started the band with a contrasting color.)

join yarn with a slip stitch about 15 sts from the center back.

row 1 - (working in the front loops only for this row) ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 24 sts turn

row 2 - ch 1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next 6 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 6 sts, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next st, turn

row 3 - ch 1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 9 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts, sc next 2 st tog, sc in next st, turn

row 4 - ch1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 13 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next sc, turn

row 5 - ch 1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 17 sc, 2 sc in next st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next st. tie off.

join yarn with a slip stitch to center back and work 3 rows sc around band and brim (last row can be in a contrasting color, if you want.)"
  In her own words, ladies.  You got it here!
OK, go be creative!! And post pics here when you're done!  I want to see, dammit!  Or at least send me a message and a link to your thread!
Peace!
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bagheraa

I'm not a llama! (I am a black leopard)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005 02:56:12 AM »

Your tams and your dreads are looking great. I am looking for a knitted pattern for mine though - don't know how to crochet.

bagheraa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bagheraa is on Ravelry Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 20th: National Moon Day
Tute Tuesday: Neapolitan Ice Cream Scrub
Finding Frida Kahlo

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...