A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 319,837
Currently Running With Scissors:
286 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chanukah  (Read 3955 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

mamarose22
« on: January 24, 2008 02:40:06 PM »

I know this is really early, but Does anyone have any crafty ideas for Chanukah?  It is extremely hard to find any craft patterns with a Chanukah theme.  I like to crochet do plastic canvas and do some sewing. I know how to knit (but don't enjoy it as much as crocheting.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
bastet
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008 03:25:02 AM »

are you looking for gift-ideas?
-greeting cards for all occasions
-set of 8 candels plus an extra , maybe decorated with napkinpaper (ony 8 of the canleds, leve the ninth candle undecorated) and a set of the same napkins for decorating a table.
-a bowl or mug decorated or painted with porcelain/ ceramic-colours, filled with choclate-coins
- sentenced selfmade bath-oil
- make your own menorah, years ago I saw one made in a magazin. They had a six-pointed star from thin wood. Paint the star blue and add 9 large nuts (from the tool-box!). 8 nuts should be painted or sprayed in white or silver, the ninth should become blue. Glue the nuts to the star. It's only to use for very thin candles.

or are you looking decorations?
- patchworked cushions with Menorah or Dreidel-motif, in silver, blue and white
- crocheted potholders in blue and white with Dreidel or Menorah-motif
- blue, silver and white door-wreath from sweets or other material
- fill a large blue or white glas bowl with lots of chocolate-coins and blue/ white dreidel, you could even bake the dreidel with cookie-dough and fill a bowl full of sweets to eat troughout the season
- make a couple clay oil-lamps and set them in groups around the house instead of candles
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamarose22
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008 07:52:15 AM »

Thanks Bastet, for your ideas.  I am really looking for more craft type things to make.  There is very little printed leaflets with Chanukah or Jewish themed crafts.  I have one plastic canvas bookflet that I picked up years ago.  I don't want this so much for decorating my house, but to give as gifts.  I even tried googling for Hebrew/Jewish themed crafts and can't seem to come up with anything worthwhile. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
bastet
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008 01:46:33 AM »

yeah, it's a shame that there are so less craft-ideas for chanukkah. Otherwise, Chanukkah is not a day of presents, though I know that presents are given.
I have to admit, that I am christian myself, but at sunday-school I do teach jewish-traditions and the children love to meet the bible-stories with your festive traditions.

Therefore I just had another wonderful gift-idea.
I read a lot of jewish-themed websites myself and had to realize that a lot of traditions are lost in our generation, but people actually starting to remind those traditions. Maybe one could make up a game-set for Dreidel. Get a box filled with a dreidel, coins/chips and the rules. Its such a funny game for the family.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamarose22
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008 07:40:33 AM »

I have  young grandchildren and I like to make things for them.  Although I could probably buy a ready-made dreidle game I could try to figure out a way to make my own out of plastic canvas.  I have a pattern for a plastic canvas dreidle but it is a little too large for a game and I don't think the dowel would spin too well.  But I could probably use a store bought wooden dreidle.  Thanks, Bastet for your thoughtful suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aurytm
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008 05:45:16 PM »

Last year I cross stitched the chanukah cards, since it's hard to find charts I made my own. You can find it in mi blog here

http://aurytm.blogspot.com/2007/11/chanukah.html

Aury
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamarose22
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008 05:21:16 AM »

Thanks for the Chanukah chart.  It looks very nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008 05:34:23 AM »

You may be able to get some ideas from: hereSmiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
mamarose22
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008 06:27:32 AM »

Thank you all for your ideas.  Chanukah is quite a while off, but I want to start preparing myself with ideas. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008 09:05:41 AM »

If I could make a few suggestions.  Like Bastet suggested, clay pots are great gifts. Esp. with little handles and a spout.  The rougher the better.  I don't know which age group you wanted these gifts for but you can download coloring pages and then "make" crayons in Chanuka shapes.  You could also make window decorations by painting on glass the symbols of Chanuka.  You could take a box of Chanuka candles and personalize them.  Take olive oil and put them into personalized bottles.  Crochet suvganiot. Or even with the little ones, make with them a Chanukeya and little oil pots.  Each one can have his own.  You can also take pieces of colored cylophane and make the symbols of Chanuka on glass or flexiglass (I think It's called) With the plastic canvas(If I understand correctly) you could again make the symbols.  Crochet a dredel?? I hope this is of some help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Recycled Sweater Quilt
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...