A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lucinda Williams image transfer  (Read 17988 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

slick
« on: January 30, 2004 06:00:24 PM »

This omnigel stuff is so cool! http://www.houstonart.com/omnigel/omnigel.htm
You can transfer images onto any surface, including, as is shown here, copper.  All you do is:
1. Put 3 coats of omnigel on the picture
2. Let it dry an hour or so
3. Put it in a tray of water for 15 minutes
4. Pull it out, put it face down on wax paper, and carefully roll the paper off the back with your fingers.
5. Use omnigel to glue it onto any surface.
6. I think it's really cool because it gives you this flexible image that is shiny on one side, matte on the other side, and it's semi-transparent, so, in this case, the copper shines through.

So, that's what I did to get the image and then I glued it on the copper.  Used thin sheets of copper to cut out copper hearts and then a letter set to emboss her name and xo's, and then my cool mini-torch to color and darken the copper and glued it all on there.    I love omnigel!!  

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004 10:28:10 PM by slick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yousmellspecial
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004 03:11:52 PM »

that's amazing! i've heard about this process but never really saw the results... could you possibly post a step by step tutorial to familiarize us with the process?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004 10:19:16 PM »

that's amazing! i've heard about this process but never really saw the results... could you possibly post a step by step tutorial to familiarize us with the process?

Sure!  
1.  Cut out your picture.  Everything I've tried (laser printer ink, magazine photos, etc.) works, except for ink jet ink!  The ink doesn't hold from ink jets.  Then use a brush to coat it with omnigel--do 3 layers.  You brush it on vertically, then let it dry a few minutes.  Put on another diagonal coat, let it dry a few minutes.  Put on another diagonal coat going the other way with your strokes.  Let it dry for at least an hour.  

It will look like this:

2.  Let it soak in a shallow tray of water for 10-15 minutes.

3.  Pull it out and put it on wax paper on a hard surface and turn it face down.  Carefully roll off the paper with your fingers.  If it gets too dry, spritz with more water.  

That's it--it's ready to be glued onto almost surface!  It's semi-transparent and flexible.   It's okay if it tears--when you glue it on, you won't be able to tell!  But if you notice it tearing, maybe put the glue on thicker next time!  

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004 10:33:22 PM by slick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SilverBamboo

"Don't dream it... Be It."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004 03:31:06 AM »

I can't believe this, but yeah I can: the Siren image in your abover tutorial, slick? It's on that same coffee table-top I was decoupaging years ago... w/ that Frida image I told you about. Ah, synchronicity.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make something beautiful.
slick
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004 09:15:55 AM »

I can't believe this, but yeah I can: the Siren image in your abover tutorial, slick? It's on that same coffee table-top I was decoupaging years ago... w/ that Frida image I told you about. Ah, synchronicity.    

silverBamboo!  We have some kind of karmic connection going on!   Wink  That's very cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftypixie

opinions were like kittins, I was giving them away

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004 08:17:11 PM »

That's cool!
So will it stick onto glass? I'm thinking maybe you could use it for those tall candles that usually have saints on them , maybe using the ones with no picture and putting on your own...oohhh
must buy omnigel...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evenstar
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004 09:55:18 PM »

How much did the bottle cost you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004 10:08:45 PM »

How much did the bottle cost you?

That's cool!
So will it stick onto glass? I'm thinking maybe you could use it for those tall candles that usually have saints on them , maybe using the ones with no picture and putting on your own...oohhh
must buy omnigel...

It's about $9.00 at Houston Art, but lasts forever!  And, I think it's a great idea, craftypixie, to try it on a candle because it will stick to glass, and then the image will glow!  Try it out and post, please!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004 10:18:39 PM »

Thats is a very neat project  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susank
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004 01:08:41 PM »

holy hot damn.  Someone canonize slick.  Thank you soooo much for bringing this product to our attention, and esp for making a tutorial of how to use it!  OmniGel should give you a kickback.

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004 01:51:53 PM »

Ok guys, this is a fuzzy memory, so bear with me...
I think I saw on 'Changing Rooms' (the british version of Trading Spaces) the designer put the omnigel equivalent on a picture and then smacked it onto fabric (before it dried)  Then after drying did the soak, peel off paper thing.  The result was the picture directly on the fabric.  Would this work with  omnigel?  Or do you think it's an entirely different product?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004 01:58:55 PM »

Ok guys, this is a fuzzy memory, so bear with me...
I think I saw on 'Changing Rooms' (the british version of Trading Spaces) the designer put the omnigel equivalent on a picture and then smacked it onto fabric (before it dried)  Then after drying did the soak, peel off paper thing.  The result was the picture directly on the fabric.  Would this work with  omnigel?  Or do you think it's an entirely different product?

I think that's a different product...but I'm not totally sure.  With omnigel, you can use it on fabric, but I haven't tried it, and I can't imagine that it would work to try and get the paper off afterwards....  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alea
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004 02:03:34 PM »

I always assumed that it meant that you can sew the omnigel transfer onto the fabric...

I think if you coated the picture, added extra omni gel to the fabric, and then slapped the picture on, it might work. I'm off to try that with my bottle, will post results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alea
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004 01:16:31 PM »

I attempted the picture on the fabric and it didn't really work. The image stuck to the fabric, but it looked like a bad iron-on transfer, where you can see that it's obviously stuck on the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadKittyUSA33

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004 02:01:57 PM »

that is like so pretty i luv it!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.' ).')     
.*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  * .      
(. '(.'**`'.)`'.)   Rock on!
BadKittyUSA33

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2004 02:03:31 PM »

that is so pretty i luv it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.' ).')     
.*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  * .      
(. '(.'**`'.)`'.)   Rock on!
monkeyrocker
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2004 10:26:10 AM »

You can do the same thing using acrylic gel medium (which is cheaper and comes in several different finishes, but may not dry as fast).  The only way I've been able to do transfers onto glass is by sanding the glass ahead of time.  I think there's a Japanese product that allows for easier glass transfers...I can't remember the name though.  I'll do a search when I have more time.  

I've used acrylic gel medium on fabric the way you saw it done on Trading Spaces (the end result is a little stiff, and I'm not sure I would trust it in the dryer, but is waterproof and cool looking).  Here are the steps to a perfect acrylic medium fabric transfer:

1. Get a mirror image (backwards) photocopy or lazer print of your image (inkjet wont work because the waterbased ink doesn't bond to the acrylic)

2. Paint a medium coat of acrylic on both the fabric and the front of the image.  Let dry completely (an hour or more depending on the humidity and heat--you can use a blow dryer if you're impatient like me).

3. Paint another medium coat of acrylic onto the front of the image and place onto the fabric.

4. Lightly burnish to remove any air bubbles.  Any acrylic medium that squishes out from between the image and the fabric can be wiped away gently with a damp sponge or towel.

5. Wait for the medium to dry completely--I usually let dry overnight.  If the medium is not dry as a bone, your transfer may tear.

6.  Wet the back of the image and rub off the paper.  To get all the paper off, I sometimes use a scrub brush--if the acrylic medium is thouroughly dry, a light scrubbing shouldn't rip the image.

7. To make the image totally impervious, coat with another thin layer of acrylic.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. --Mae West
monkeyrocker
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2004 10:35:56 AM »

The name of that transfer medium I was thinking of is Lazertran paper.  It's pretty expensive, but it does work on non-porous surfaces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stashia
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2004 02:05:47 AM »

This sounds like doing a gel medium transfer, and that works great on fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I judge art, I take my painting and put it next to a God made object like a tree or flower. If it clashes, it is not art." ~ Paul Cezanne
lupin.lupin

aren't we all great!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2004 10:14:48 AM »

does anyone know where you can get these products in england? shop, mail order, internet, any will do. cheers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2004 10:49:59 AM »

does anyone know where you can get these products in england? shop, mail order, internet, any will do. cheers

The first post has a link for where to buy omnigel...I think you can order gel medium at any art store online...not sure about the fabric stuff though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupin.lupin

aren't we all great!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2004 11:11:38 AM »

thanks, i've already been there and they only ship in the US, any other ideas anyone please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2004 03:27:47 PM »

oh, that stuff is cool.  I'll have to try and find some next time I'm home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2004 11:15:09 PM »

thanks, i've already been there and they only ship in the US, any other ideas anyone please?

try googling to find the actual website of the makers of the product. usually they have a "contact us!" e-mail, so you could e-mail them directly and ask them where it's available in the UK. i've had to do that in canada too, there's so many more fun products available in the US!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
monkeyrocker
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2004 10:43:42 AM »

You should be able to get acrylic medium at any craft or art supply store.  It will be in the painting aisle probably next to or below the acrylic paints.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stella_K
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006 05:50:35 PM »

ok, the process with the acrylic medium makes sense to me.
but i am totally lost on the "wax paper" step of the omnigel process.
does the image stay on the wax paper? that doesn't make sense, so i'm sure that's not what you mean, but... what happens? 
there must be a bubble in my brain somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
October 18, 2017 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Mix and Match Napkins
Tute Tuesday: Mini Top Hat

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...