A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is super awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 314,387
Currently Running With Scissors:
218 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with new wheel  (Read 745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

xampx

Nudge me in the direction of creativity!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 21, 2008 12:45:37 PM »

I was silly and chose this antique wheel on impulse for a Christmas present. The person I bought it from was using it for decoration, but the person SHE bought it from used to spin with it.

Its all moving and I have managed to get some yarn out of it, but it only seems to have one ratio - 6:1 and im having trouble keeping a steady speed.

So here are pics with what I think is wrong with it. Please could someone tell me whats missing and give me some tips?

Thanks

Nothing much wrong with this. Its a castle style wheel....

In this one, i'm wondering if the hole for the crank is meant to be this shape? Its a little loose and it makes a hell of a noise, and sometimes falls off mid spin. Should it be just round? I can easily fix it if thats the case.

It only came with one drive band, wrapped like this around the wheel and the flyer whorl. But as you can see, the bobbin has a groove too. Should the drive band wrap around this too? Is this for a brake band? If so, what else would the brake be attached to?

Also, the bobbins are tiny. 3in across. Does anyone know of another wheel that has these, or will I have to make them myself? (I'm pretty good at woodwork) It only came with one, or at least thats all the seller could find. This is what I've managed to make, but I've put it aside for a while as i'm sure it is meant to work better than it is.

Any input would be well received.
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pmpknpunk
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008 01:50:30 PM »

I also chose an antique wheel as a Christmas present from my husband and I am having second thoughts about it. It is BEAUTIFUL, but not very efficient... it is quite similar to your wheel, small bobbin, castle design, but mine is single drive, I also can't keep a constant speed, and mine wants to spin the other direction without notice, eeeek.
Here's my wheel:

I am guessing in your 2nd pic that the keyhole shape is like that in order for it to come into separate pieces (spli through the big part and hold in place in the little part) but if you don't plan on taking it apart I would fixate it to the little part of the hold.

Your yarn looks really even and pretty! I think we should form a support group for vintage wheel spinners, what do  you say?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xampx

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008 03:28:16 PM »

That sounds like a nice idea, although I don't think I can offer any support, as I only got my first drop spindle in November, and have no experience whatsoever. The antique wheels ARE really pretty, and mine is so tiny, its great for my tiny house. I think they should be kept 'alive' by spinners, and not just kept as ornaments.

I suppose another question I have is what fibers am I meant to spin at this ratio? I have tried short stapled fibers and long, and have got on better with the short, but I have been reading that long fibers need a lot of twist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008 10:11:35 AM »

I would add either a longer drive band making it a double drive OR add a brake to give you better control.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
xampx

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008 01:57:14 PM »

I should have said, I have tried using it as a double drive, and it works better. I would like to try the brake band, what would it be made from, and how would I attach it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Buster Small Bag
Save Your Place
Meatless Monday: Black Bean & Caramelized Onion Tacos

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...