A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
185 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the Look At It Disease  (Read 3609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

WitchCatXeen

life's a joke, so make fun of it!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2008 08:07:39 PM »

I figured this fit in Stitch in Botch because in a way, it IS a botch when you don't craft.

I found this site the other day http://trishbee.co.uk/techniqueszone/lookatitdisorder.html describing the Look At It Disease.  Its very similar to one I have. 

I don't take out my pretty things and look at them.  First of all, I can't afford pretty papers and yarns and such, but what I'm really talking about here is something similar she says in the article about saving every little thing for its perfect purpose.  I have NO money.  If I use my supplies, I'll have to buy more, right?

So there my supplies sit.  Collecting dust and begging to be used.

Other than the Having No Money Disease, I have the It Could Be Used So Many Ways disease.  Come ON... you KNOW what I'm talking about, right? Its like... you want to use it for something but you can't because you only have one of it, or very little of it.  And if you use it and you mess up (I fail 99.9% of every project I start) then it will likely be a complete waste of whatever it was you just HAD to use.

A really nice lady from an altered books group I'm on sent me a HUGE package of supplies she had collected for altered books. How awesome! There's a TON of stuff she sent that I've been dying to get my hands on (like photos on transparencies).  I had to literally FORCE myself to cut up a handwriting transparency last night for an altered canvas project only to find out that that canvas wasn't going to work with the little inchies I made with the transparencies.  So yeah, that was a botch, too.  The inchies look AWESOME and I MIGHT be able to incorporate them somewhere eventually, but I only had one of those handwriting transparencies.

I NEED to hear from others who are suffering from this! How does one get past the annoyance of holding on to everything? I need to learn to let go, right? And when I use my stuff and create a vacuum, maybe some more stuff will find its way to me.  Right? There HAS to be some sort of psychological thing about all this!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008 08:24:24 PM »

I can totally agree and understand what you are saying. I keep everything and sometimes I'm not willing to use an item for years because I cannot afford to buy art supplies or fabrics.
A friend of mine once told me that I hoard things too much. By hoarding something, and not using it, you are stopping the flow of items that are actually coming to you.
It's kind of like the love idea (I think Grin ) . If you love someone let them go, if you're meant to be they will return... I think it's the same kind of idea.
I find that creating things and using what you have will teach you a lot, and give you lots of fresh ideas.
Also, it doesn't matter if you mess up "99.9%" of the time because you can constantly learn new ways of doing things and how to fix the problem in the future.

I'm not sure where you live but they probably have a group for it there too. It's called freecycle and there are groups all over the world where people constantly give away (yes for free) valuable items (including art supplies). Anything someone could get rid of, it can eventually be found on freecycle, and you can ask for items as well.
Here's a link to what I wrote about for craftsters Cheesy https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=201915.msg2149142#msg2149142
And here is the global freecycle link.
http://www.freecycle.org/groups/unitedkingdom/

Best wishes, happy hunting and crafting WitchCatXeen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WitchCatXeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008 08:38:56 PM »

A friend of mine once told me that I hoard things too much. By hoarding something, and not using it, you are stopping the flow of items that are actually coming to you.
This is completely true.  Every time I clear out my closet of old unwanted clothes, somebody ends up giving me a ton of "new" clothes!

Quote from: BonEsInspired
Also, it doesn't matter if you mess up "99.9%" of the time because you can constantly learn new ways of doing things and how to fix the problem in the future.
Good point! I always forget that.  I need to make that a sign in my crafting corner.

It's called freecycle and there are groups all over the world where people constantly give away (yes for free) valuable items (including art supplies).
I've been a member of my local freecycle group.  Nobody ever had any art supplies.  Maybe I'll be able to pass over my hoarding hump and when I do I'll re-join the freecycle group and hope something good comes through.

Best wishes, happy hunting and crafting WitchCatXeen!
Thanks, and for the reply... its always nice to see I'm not alone (well it sucks that you have the same problem, but you know what I mean!)
[/quote]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008 09:01:22 PM »

Cheesy
I'm so glad you found value in my reply! I went into it kind of blind, trying to look at my own problem at the same time.

Again, best wishes! We've found the best place to give us inspiration and lessons on how to make things... Yay Craftster!

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your projects on the boards Cheesy
Cheers WitchCatXeen!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville still rocks

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008 07:08:02 AM »

It's true.... If you make stuff, you will definitely get better with experience and you'll no longer botch 99% of your projects! Wink

Also, most importantly, as people see that you make stuff (i.e., your creations actually get to leave the house with you and be seen), they begin giving you things they think you can craft with. IMHO, you shouldn't turn anything down, at least at first, until you get a good flow; plus, just because something doesn't look promising doesn't mean that it won't come in handy later on. Once you're experiencing more project success you'll have a better idea what you actually can and can't use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WitchCatXeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008 02:01:40 PM »

I took my question to answers.yahoo.com last night to the psychological section, out of curiosity (people and their thinking/reasoning fascinate me!) so here it is http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Au2UXDoR.32uPt2BXRnJ4_rsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080114203119AAlogiW

Also, most importantly, as people see that you make stuff (i.e., your creations actually get to leave the house with you and be seen), they begin giving you things they think you can craft with. IMHO, you shouldn't turn anything down, at least at first, until you get a good flow; plus, just because something doesn't look promising doesn't mean that it won't come in handy later on.

This is also very true! People have given me loads of stuff to work with.  Mostly old, disgusting dirty jewelry.  I want to tell them to stop giving me stuff because its been piling up over the last year or two and I can't figure out what to do with them! I haven't received anything nice or decent.  I really shouldn't complain but I've got very limited space :-/ Maybe I'll start a couple altered canvases and just glue 'em on with some random other random stuff :-p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buglady

Herding cats & chasing beads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008 09:59:18 PM »

I am in recovery from this terrible affliction Smiley For me, it was tied in with a lot of anxiety about living up to my own high standards (what if it doesn't come out right??) and also with some conflicts/shame/anxiety I had about my impulsivity. I would constantly worry that since I had already had so many ideas about what to do with [the beautiful fabric, silky yarn, gorgeous paper, etc], if I acted on one of those ideas I might miss the next idea that was even better.

I don't have an easy answer - for me, a lot of that stuff just went away as I worked through a life crisis with a really good counsellor. I've become a lot better at trusting myself to make interesting creative choices, and trusting the world to contain more materials for me to find later. One thing I did do, which may sound nuts, was to open up my stash boxes and talk to myself about what I had been saving. Letting it out in words helped me find answers and let some of the anxieties dissipate in the light of day. Maybe that is something you could try?

It was lots of fun "shopping the stash" to make Christmas presents this year Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bead Bugs, suncatchers & unique jewellery - www.theartfulsalamander.com
New Etsy shop! www.theartfulsalamander.etsy.com
PiratePanties
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008 12:39:55 PM »

I'm so very glad I'm not the only one that does this. I keep so much stuff, and never use it.

Mostly I think of things, and decide that the idea isn't good enough, or is stupid. When I try to think of something better,  I can't, so I chalk it up to "makers block" and end up not making anything. Then when I don't make anything, I feel uncreative. Then the questioning of the abilities sets in....

Gah. I've been having a whole lot of those little "life epiphanies" as of late, but I hadn't gotten around to thinking about my crafting life specifically. Maybe I'll make it part of my life revamp to just make something - anything - each day, and deal with the results as they come. I'm tired of having these several month long dry spells. I have some decent Valentine's day ideas for the husband, so maybe I can start there.

Edited to Add:

I am in recovery from this terrible affliction Smiley For me, it was tied in with a lot of anxiety about living up to my own high standards (what if it doesn't come out right??)...

I think you hit the nail on the head right there, at least in my case. =)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 12:41:41 PM by PiratePanties » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sleepybunny
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008 07:45:30 AM »

I know exactly what you mean!  I'm like a magpie - I hang on to pretty shiny things - sweet wrappers, shiny paper, fabric, beads, yarns, ribbons, buttons... and just can't throw them out... just in case I ever think of something to do with them.  But I rarely actually use them - it's like I'm waiting for the "ultimate project" or something  Roll Eyes 

I've had some of it for 20 years!!!  Jeepers - I really need to get my act together!!!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008 05:52:49 PM »

Oh man, LOL... I have those 2 related diseases: no money disease, and save it for a rainy day/in case I really need it (aka look at it) disease. It is a real chore trying to go through such massive stashes... I've resorted to giving some of it away, so it can bring joy to other people.
These are incurable, but they are tolerable, are they not. At least you'll never run out of [fill in here] that rare/pretty supply... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...