A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 320,815
Currently Running With Scissors:
134 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: homade dog cookies  (Read 1108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

shawnie
« on: January 13, 2008 09:43:11 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm writing this in the hopes that you can giive me some advice.  I would like to start making dog cookies to sell on the web.  Nothing fancy, simple treats.  However I don't want to take someone eles recipe or  " plagerize" them.  Can someone give me some ideas on where to start?

Shawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Shawn~ If your dog doesn't like somebody, maybe you shouldn't either.
yellowduckie
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008 11:50:30 PM »

You can try making a very basic plain tasteless cookie.  Then add things in like liver, cheese and such.

I did the same, but for a dog who was allergic to wheat and potatoes (the usual next choice for wheat-allergic dogs).  It took some experiencing to get a cookie that didn't crumble in my hand and that she could eat without getting hives (or the runs).

If you plan to sell, be sure of the regulations in your area for commerical baking, even for dogs you might have to be up to some code out there.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atheris
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008 06:38:16 PM »

I had this idea a while ago- and researched it. I found out that if I want to sell dog biscuits I must rent a commercial kitchen- which runs about $1000 for 3 hrs in my area (at that time- several years ago so maybe more now!). In addition to this- I would have to get a crude analysis done on each recipe PER YEAR. Also the regular business and tax licenses have to be purchased and kept up to date.

When I really looked at this, I realized that I could not even bake enough dog biscuits in 3 hrs to make the RENT - let alone the rest of teh fees plus pull a profit of any sort. I just gave up on that idea.

If you sell over the web- you have to pick the state with the strictest requirements and follow that- and you are fine. Apparently CA (where I live) is NOT the strictest either. If you sell over the web you have to follow the regulations in the state you are in plus the state you are selling to- so if you pick the strictest you are fine for those less strict.

Not to rain on the parade- but I went through this whole research project myself. You might decide you want to anyway or that you want to do it illegally (not recommended- as the fines are pretty harsh here). If you sell illegally you are more likely to get caught if you sell on the web than if you don't.

I wanted to use my own kitchen and even looked into getting a commercial kitchen license but found out that there was NO WAY a "home" kitchen would get a commercial license in CA unless we didn't live there, and had no kids or pets and even then it would be tough.

Hope that helps. I know it is not what you want to hear- because it was not what I wanted to hear way back when I was excited about it.

So- I have decided to write a book of my recipes instead- no commercial kitchen rental, no analysis, no business license - I just have to pay taxes on my profits! MUCH better for me.

I got most of my info from a Yahoo group called Dogtreat bakery- here is the link to the home page:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/dogtreatbakery/?yguid=11140136

There ARE people there that have gone through the process and rent a commercial kitchen or have set one up- but it is expensive to do it.

There is ONE loophole (at least here in CA) which I call the "bake sale loophole". This means if you are connected to a non-profit and make biscuits to raise money for a non-profit you may sell them without any of the requirements. You may also send to family and friends. but you would not be able to sell on the web with this at all. I do sell to friends and family and also do fund raisers (read- I don't make a profit when I raise money for the non-profit as they get the profit.)

I know this is disappointing news because I was SO excited when I thought of it- and then horribly disappointed when I found out how expensive it would be to actually do it.

Hope that helps!

Jo Biasi
www.camofish.com
new Toy Manchester puppy on the way!
Bug, rescue black cat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jo Biasi
www.camofish.com
camofishus.blogspot.com
Santa Rosa, CA
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: The Red, White, and Blue
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...