A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 320,272
Currently Running With Scissors:
295 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First quilt- stashbusting log cabin I'm stil not sure about...  (Read 2694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 07, 2008 02:49:57 PM »

Okay, so i haven't sewn the blocks together yet, but i've layed them out some different ways and I'm still not sure if i love it or not.

I used all the weird fabrics in my stash, where i just have no idea what to do with them otherwise. I tried to group them into hot and cold or dark and light, but some of the hot colurs are light and some of the dark colours are warm, so its not as nice and clean cut as the many wonderful quilts i see on here all the time.

this is the block. at the start i was doing them one at a time and making them all slightly different, because i thought thats how you do it. I now do them ten at a time, and all the same, so I'm left with some oddments, but i think it'll blend in okay see what you think.

this one has one of the first few in it. its easy to spot when they're layed out like this but not so much the other ways.

This is my favorite so far i think, but i still have twelve yet to make so I'm open to suggestions still!

i have just realized that several are a bit smaller than the others. hopefully I'll be able to put them all in a row so they don't send the whole thing wonky.

what do you think guys? are the fabrics too weird together? I won't cry i promise, its my first one and thats when you're allowed to make all your mistakes isn't it? Wink

if any kind quilters have any advice for this quilt, or the next one I'm all ears! Cheesy

thanks for looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bronzfrog
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008 03:02:01 PM »

The fabrics look great.   My Mom did a quilt with weird fabric.    She called it the crazy house quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.etsy.com
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008 03:12:21 PM »

I really love all of the fabrics you used!!  The colors are amazing together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
sewcrazy4ever
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008 03:51:25 PM »

I LIKE it!!!  I think you did an awesome job categorizing all of the prints.  It tamed the busyness. yet left enough busyness to make it interesting.  Did that make sense?  A nicely chosen border  and binding will anchor everything together.  Find someone with a good eye for color and design to help you find something that will work.  I made a quilt for a friend and I found a proprietor at a small quilt shop that spent a good hour helping me find just the right border to tie everything together.

If there isn't a huge difference in size sometimes you can ease the fullness of the larger square into the measurement of the smaller square when you sew them together.  It takes some heavy pinning sometimes.  Hope that helps.  Again, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lefty33
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008 05:23:33 PM »

I liked the last arrangement you posted best too.  I like the "fence rail" pattern going through it when it's arranged like that. 

With the right borders and binding it will definitely pull together.  I recently made a quilt that I hated -- I was about to rip the quilt top back into its separate pieces and start over, but that was going to take more time than putting on the borders, so I went ahead and added borders and binding and it turned out to be one of my favorite quilts I've done so far.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A triumph of pure reason, or else a disaster of abstract thought.  You never can tell which will be which until you try."  Adam Gopnik, The King in the Window
thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008 05:47:12 PM »

i like the last arrangement best too. i adore the colors- for some reason it looks to me like art made out of rectangles of magazines or newspaper. i can't really figure out why. i think it is amazing, and the fact that it's a first attempt is even more astounding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jilly
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008 08:15:17 PM »

When I only saw the one block, I didn't like it so much, but when I see all the blocks laid out, I also think it looks like one of those photos-made-out-of-a-bunch-of-photos. I also like the last layout, because for some reason I think it accentuates that idea the best. I agree with finding some nice border fabric (possibly a solid to tame the business of all the prints? or a small scale print with lots of different colours?) to pull it all together.

I always hate my quilts and think they are going to look awful when I'm just laying out blocks or rows of strips and not looking at the whole thing, but somehow, when you've put it all together and bound it it looks fabulous, so don't be too worried. The main goal with your first quilt is just to finish a first quilt so you know you can do it, and to learn from your fabric choices and all the mistakes you make putting it together. Then you can make some really fantastic quilts later on, once you've got all that down.

I would also suggest that if the blocks are really skewed, you could cut some of the biggest ones down to match the smaller ones -- like, cut an 1/8 of an inch of each side or whatever. Or if I know there's a lot of crooked blocks (I fudge my quilts a lot, can you tell?) I'll sew them into rows, matching the centers of the blocks rather than the edges, and then line up my cutting ruler with the smallest block, squaring it along the top edge of a block, and just trim them all down to the same size. Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Linnybelle
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008 12:35:22 PM »

I also think the fabrics go together well and the first and last arrangements of the squares on the bed have good overall patterns too, the red pieces set off the middle of the quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
b16aGirl
If you see me wandering the streets staring at the sky, remind me that clouds aren't quilted.

I got nuthin.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008 11:02:43 AM »

I really like all your fabrics. They look like someone with finger paints went crazy! It's really fun and it looks great in all the ways you laid it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a beautiful day!
Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008 03:22:42 PM »

wow thanks for all the encouragement everyone!
I had to put my quilting stuff away when i had people visiting, but when i get back to it i will keep you all up to date! I'm so pleased so many of you like it, i also had forgotten until i saw the photo's again, how bright and cheery the colours are.

Where would we be without Craftster hey? Imagine all the projects abandoned because people couldn't keep up their enthusiasm. I love this place! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Homemade Sauerkraut
@Home This Weekend: Stained Chairs
Tute Tuesday: Box of Chocolates Wreath

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...