A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
171 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Back yard garden. Small on space, hot weather almost yr round.  (Read 1673 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Happy*Hedgehog
Check me out at Etsy!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2008 11:34:13 AM »

I am looking for mostly a veggie type garden. I have always wanted one and I am sick of not having one. I literally have no space on my back yard. The place I am thinking of putting a garden is 11'X5' so really not that big at all. I would plant the rows lengh wise. I live in Tampa Fl so it stays hot most of the year.

Here are some ideas that I have so far
eggplant
tomoatoes (I love these I do have a pool area that I got a patio tomato plant for)
squash (but I think this needs space??)
peppers
parsely

I have a ton of fence and wall space so I was thinking of some vine veggies but not sure what. I have heard that scarlet runner beans are pretty and taste good so I might try those but have read that they do not fruit in temps that are over 90and in FL is gets to be that hot or hotter during the summer.

I am going to try my hand at some limas as well.

Does anyone know what sort of beans or peas would do well? Or anyother pretty veggie vine plants? Smiley

I also tend to have a black thumb. Sad My soil is crap so I am trying to add a bit of potting soil and compost to the soil that I do have in hopes that it will do well.

Any veggie growers that know what might do well in a small hot crappy soiled garden. With a lady who is nuts and really wants to eat fresh veggies but for some reason kills even weeds. Smiley

Also what are some cheaper ways to make a trellis? I was thinking of something but I have no idea what it is called but it has a open tirangle type thing in the middle and is made of thin small wood that crosses each other.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 12:29:46 PM by Happy*Hedgehog » THIS ROCKS   Logged

moonshinebluebird
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008 03:36:23 PM »

I've found that planting basil in with my tomatoes really helped them along.  Not sure if thats in your plans, but every year I wantonly sprinkle basil seeds in the tomato patch and soon I've got tomatoes and basil out my ears Smiley  They are companion plants and help each other thrive.

How about sugar snap peas? do you like those?  They are climbers and very pretty.  I've only tried them for the first time this last year and something destroyed them Sad but while they were there ... very pretty and nothing like eating those off the vine!

The squash might need a lot of room, I'm not sure... that was the other failure of mine thanks to vine borer beetles.

Peppers on the other hand!  Habanero, cayenne, and jalapeno seem to do so well and are hard to kill, but bell peppers for me seemed more sensitive.  (An old man once told me I needed to work the soil loose very deep for them when planting then fertilize a lot.. haven't tried that yet)

Good luck! Gardens are awesome, especially ones that give back things you can eat Smiley

We're hot here, but not year round... just too hot in the summer.  All my plants live through it though with the exception of the two I mentioned.

micky

p.s. my favorite tomato plant is sungold and can be grown in big pot or the ground!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An ACEO a day for a year
Flickr
Etsy
"A wise old owl lived in an oak..."
Happy*Hedgehog
Check me out at Etsy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008 11:57:06 AM »

Thanks! I bought some snap peas and some peppers. I have banana peppers, chili peppers, and jalapeno peppers. YUMMY!

Great idea on the basil, as I love nothing more than eating tomatoes with basil. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Smiley How did do you have to plant the basil seeds? Or do you just spread them on the soil and water?

I was able to clear out some of my fence room and I put up a lattice (I think that is how it is spelled??) So I have a row for squash that is about 6'x3' not much but I am thinking if it vines onto the lattice then maybe that will work.

I cannot wait for them to get here. I also bought some bell pepper seeds but have also heard that they are pretty hard to grow. I do have a HUGE plant pot that is outside and has nive potting soil in it that I might put them in that and see what happens.

Thanks so much!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008 12:38:11 PM »

Just remember that your growing season ends in the early summer, then restarts in late summer. I used to live in New Orleans and we always had to have our tomatoes and peppers grown by June Tongue  Mirliton squash grew well for us, also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Happy*Hedgehog
Check me out at Etsy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008 05:56:23 AM »

Just remember that your growing season ends in the early summer, then restarts in late summer. I used to live in New Orleans and we always had to have our tomatoes and peppers grown by June Tongue  Mirliton squash grew well for us, also.

Thanks, I did not know that and it explains why my tomatoes did not do very well last year.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008 12:12:05 PM »

In Louisiana there's a tomato called the creole-it fruits early.
http://www.creoletomato.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
tomico
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008 12:45:42 PM »

There are things called obelisks that look cool and are used to grow plants vertically. Another thing you could try is some of those portable clothes drying racks. Things that vine could climb up and you could plant things underneath such as lettuce. 
  Two books I would recommend for the person with little space and poor soil is the The Postage Stamp Garden and Lasagna Gardening. The best thing to do about your area is research to see what grows well for your climate and what is available in the local garden centers. try things that are easy and try to vary your growing season. I don't know about your area but nasturtiums are pretty, really easy to grow, and you can eat the entire plant; flowers, leaves, seeds and all. They are a yummy spicy surprise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...