A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
197 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 1/4/08 (Happy New Year!!!)  (Read 7144 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Star217
« on: January 04, 2008 07:13:32 AM »

How-do all my fiber addicts, its the first fiber Friday of '08. I have three to share this week
280 yards mohair worsted weight singles spun using a modified long draw
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2316/2152317160_4b3d0d4fff.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2388/2152317506_5446532214.jpg

I love the way it looks but hate the feel of mohair any ideas on what to do with it?

300 yards of Merino/Tussah Silk 50/50 spun short draw and 2 ply.
"Tactile" - Named for the feel, not the look
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/2151525889_28a4e065a0.jpg

I love merino/tussah and would sleep and snuggle up so warm in tons and tons of it.

160 yards 2 ply Merino X from batts from Mandalinn pulled into roving and spun with a modified long draw
"Mermaid Dreads"

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2255/2151528245_d7d9cedd41.jpg

And finally a FO crocheted from this alpaca that I spun cleaned and prepped myself awhile back
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2311/2165341355_74162fb8cc.jpg

Even with the holes its super warm cause its alpaca!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 01:08:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Gomerriffic
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008 07:39:43 AM »

I was so excited last night finishing this up because I knew I could participate in Fiber Friday!  Grin I got this roving in the 12 days of christmas swap. It's superwash, silk, a bit of mohair and sparkle. I love it! Plied back on itself 475 yards, sport weight.

I call it  I love the 80s. These were some of the colors I was obsessed with in the 80s, that and checkerboard. You can't see the sparkle so much but it's super sparkly.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 07:40:55 AM by Gomerriffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just trying to find me...
Lufah
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008 08:06:27 AM »

One of my new year's resolutions is to spin at least one skein of yarn a week - I've got to work through my stash somehow!  So far I've done pretty well.  Here's this week's goodies:

High Plains Drifter - mainly BFL roving I got from my friend Katie (Etsy shop here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=111769 ), with a little Lincoln wool and berry colored mohair mixed in for shits and giggles.  140 yards, 8 3/8 oz.

Bertie Bott's Everyflavor yarn - I have no clue what is in this yarn.  I must have combined a bunch of rovings together and then lapsed into amnesia, because I have no memory of combing these roving balls at all.  I know it was done recently though, so that's a little disturbing.  All of the Christmas Chaos must have gotten to me.  Anyway, this is 4 3/8 oz and 156 yards.

Big Pink and Emergency Back-Up Pink - I wound up with 2 skeins of this because it wouldn't all fit on one bobbin.  I combined some wool, mohair, tencel, and tussah silk and spun the big fat ply, and then decided to ply it with some of the tussah silk spun thin by itself.  Because of all the silk and tencel in this, it's really shiny, and it's cloud soft.  Total of 170 yards and 8 5/8 oz. (Gomerriffic, my Big Pink yarn wants to come play with your 80s yarn!  Smiley )

Also made a little owl out of some woven handspun:

Currently working on a pair of socks out of Lufahsman's handspun:

And Lufahsman and I got our nifty handspun yarn display unit mounted to the wall in our hallway!

Woo!  That's it for right now.  Yay productivity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.yarnzombie.net - http://twitter.com/Yarnzombie
Flickr fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarnzombie/
Photographyblog - http://www.craftbangboom.com/
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5363840
Will swap yarn/fiber/fabric for Polaroid/slide/120/weird film!  PM me
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008 08:32:11 AM »

I got a wheel for christmas and spent the days off between christmas and new year's simply churning out yarn!

First, some bulky plan ol' wool to get used to the thing:

Then, some bamboo roving. It's navajo plied out of necessity because the fricka fracking single wouldn't stop breaking:

Also, I spun up some lovely Fleece Artist 65% merino/35% silk roving into a two-ply worsted to bulky weight.

I have one more, but the pics aren't uploaded. Oops. Smiley I'll post it later on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gomerriffic
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008 09:43:26 AM »

I think Big Pink and 80's yarn would be great friends Lufah. The silk is so thin I thought it was thread! I envy your yarn display.  Oh and everyone's yarns are so beautiful & I love seeing stuff knit from it.  It still makes me giddy to be able to post with all the people I've admired for the last couple years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008 09:48:29 AM »

Everyone's yarns look great, as always.  I especially love the colors in "Mermaid Dreads" and the "Bertie Bott's Everyflavor Yarn".  I also love seeing what people have made with their handspun.  I have yet to make anything with any of mine, but perhaps that will be one of my goals for 2008.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
phantomssiren

Life's Too Short To Follow Patterns

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008 10:33:34 AM »

oh great start to the new year everyone! I love Mermaid Dreads and Big Pink especially Smiley

This is my only offering this week and my first vaguely successful attempt at plying a yarn with anything.

"Vintage Post-Apocalypse" spun from Earth Goddess by [email protected] then plyed with dustygrey thread and various beads. Theres a LOT more sparkle in there than the photos show.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lyme
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008 11:17:25 AM »

I have a few this go-round:

I think I already posted the stuff on the left, but I'm not sure. Anyway, more superwash merino. Intended for socks, but I think I ended up spinning it thicker than usual the past 2 weeks since I'm getting less yardage.

The one on the left here is all 'scrap' superwash. Basically, I had one colorway I dyed up that only had about 2 1/2 ounces, so I ripped off chunks from other colors I'd dyed to get it up around 4-5 ounces.

And some sheepshed mill-ends dyed light yellow with hints of maroon, although the maroon does not want to show up well in pictures. It kinda looks like a bruised banana. This came out thick-and-thin overall bulky.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaceromantic.etsy.com
SPACE!Romantic hand-dyed rovings and hand-dyed & hand-spun yarns
babyfatchance
Brattiness Extraordinaire

Sugar never tasted so good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008 11:24:16 AM »

I love the "scrap" yarn- it looks like it would knit up really funky.  And I really like the name "bruised banana" for the yarn color- so perfectly descriptive!  I bet the maroon looks lovely in person, though.  Very cool!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is having a scratch for every itch.
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008 12:09:46 PM »

Phantom- I love that yarn! I spun Wonkaville this week.

It's 65 yards of Super Bulky Merino in Brown, Burgundy, Pink and Purple. I'm saving this one for a DS cozy for my new Nintendo DS. Grin
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008 07:43:21 PM by ivycircle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixiefarts
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008 01:05:41 PM »

Hi!!
I haven't done a fiber friday is a long time!!!
I have a few things to show.

Left to Right

ALGAE Batt (Targhee)
217 yards

Atomic melon (Wool Blend) From Spunky Electic
2ply
120 yards

Delphinium (Corriedale) From SPunky Electic
2ply
112 yards

Plied Algae Batt (Targhee)
2ply
70 yards

I'm very excited. I got alot of Pretties over the holiday break. I Plus my grandma bought me a Baynes DT for Xmas!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananasplit
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008 01:22:00 PM »

I haven't posted in a while.  I've get so excited spinning something that I go and knit with it before the next Friday, so can't show any skeins.  But I've been so busy, I haven't knit anything with my yarn lately.  This is Corriedale spun into singles; I named Polar Nights; I think only about 80 yards, but I really like it.

Star217 - Do you have any tips on spinning mohair?  I just bought some and am not sure what to do with that tangled, clumpy mess.

As usual, I love everyone's yarns.  How can I not?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 01:26:18 PM by bananasplit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008 02:19:03 PM »

Star217 - Do you have any tips on spinning mohair?  I just bought some and am not sure what to do with that tangled, clumpy mess.

As usual, I love everyone's yarns.  How can I not?

Mohair locks or roving. If its roving I have three words for you pre-draft, pre-draft, predraft. If you have locks I give them a good washing then comb them (due to long staple length) if they feel full of static I spray them lightly with a 3/1 solution of water and conditioner or fabric softener to avoid the electric shocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008 03:12:00 PM »

Lovely yarns, as usual!
I think my favorite this week is actually Star217's finished object.  That hat is just to die for, chica.  So wish I could knit worth a whit. 

Anyway, I only have two yarns for the week:

Paintbox Merino/Targhee/Rambouillet wool mix.  Nice 'n' lofty.  210 yards, 3.2 oz, 9 wpi.  Kinda bright and orangey, but I think I like it!

How Now Brown Cow  Reminds me of a cow chewing its cud under a blue sky.  100% 80s merino, 133 yards, 4.0 oz., 7 wpi. 

Happy New Year, everyone! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
tristitia
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008 04:16:28 PM »

I'm not sure I've ever posted in a Fiber Friday  Huh  But I'm always stalking them!
I got a drum carder for Christmas, and immediately carded together the few solid colored wools that I could find:

I made 5 batts, about 2 ounces each.  I've spun three of them so far:

Heavy worsted weight.
I thought the yarn would be scratchy, because the green and the red are both just kinda low-grade wool blends that I was experimenting with dyeing and felted a little - but it's quite soft and very very squishy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
.:dollface:.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008 04:43:50 PM »

i just wanted to say.. that .. i look forward to fiber friday every week.. even though i don't spin.. i would love to.. (especially if i had half the talent of you guys..)  everyone makes such beautiful yarn .. it's exciting to see what you're going to make next!

keep up the great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
feralfeminine
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008 05:04:19 PM »

Pretty amazing stuff this week! Some yarns that really jumped out at me were Lufah's Big Pink, Miss Violaceous' bamboo, the Vintage Post-Apocalypse (great name!), and the bruised banana yarn is GORGEOUS. I also like Algae, Polar Nights, and Brown Cow. Whew.

My yarns this week:

Greenery - really bulky organic cotton with sections of  shiny lime green bamboo. I'm so glad I tried this, because bulky cotton is awesome!

Nestling - Spun from chemical-free falkland (merino-cross) wool, farm wool, kid mohair locks, tencel/linen, mohair, and bits of sparkle plies with tan thread strung with about 5 felted "eggs" in white, pale blue, grey, and pale grey-brown.

Panama Jack - crazy patchwork yarn. Yay!

Dollbaby - this is actually two separate but sort of matching skeins. Super chunky 2-ply spun from handpainted merino-cross wool and my own handcarded batts, with lots of bamboo and sparkle and big shredded muslin bows. I'm going to spin more for myself, because I thought up a good pattern for it!

Clara - self-striping yarn spun from soft chemical-free merino-cross wool. The colors stripe once and don't repeat, but there are two matching skeins.

Castle of Ice - spun from pale seafoam bamboo with hints of blush pink, grey and purple sparkle, and white ingeo puffs that I got at JoAnns - it was being sold as eco-friendly fake snow. I don't know if I recommend it for spinning, but I was intrigued by the texture, which is very fuzzy and almost wool-like.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008 06:44:25 PM »

feral feminine:

aah. Dollbaby and Ice were my favorites this week. looovely.
 I pretty much love everyone's yarns this week. so much gorgeousness.

here are mine, finally!
didn't get the wheel up and running yet [last part is on it's way, I think, though! yay!] but I couldn't wait any more, so I spun up what I had. I honestly don't know how anyone has a fiber stash..must have more money than I do. I run out of fiber far too often.

this week's three are all natural, yay [I'm in love with natural colors at the moment]:

first we have chocolate baby:

a bit blurry, sorry about that. I was eager to share and missed the sunlight, so these pictures will have to do.
chocolate baby is dark brown llama from a baby llama's first shearing. it's wicked soft and so light! it's a very airy yarn, about sock weight though it varies a bit more than I'd like. haven't set the twist yet, and I'll probably try to get it to felt up just a bit so it's a little stronger...the roving was so airy I'm kind of afraid it will break. Undecided

next we have hay and snow:

that's what the colors made me think of, anyway. hay bales covered in snow.
this is light brown baby llama roving plied with some of my natural white that's been laying around begging for something to be done with it. so I used part of it to attempt cabling for the first time, and the rest to ply with this. it's very squishy. Smiley

and the last one is mystery grey:

so named because I ordered a wheel part [one of a couple necessary to fix my baby!] and this was thrown in as a freebie. I've no idea what it is but it's lusciously soft and spun up really really evenly and smoothly. I adore it and want more, so I'm going to email and ask!
I would imagine it is merino, but I'm still limited in my fiber experience, so who knows? it feels a bit lighter than merino. ah well, we shall see.
love all the yarns this week and hopefully by next fiber friday I'll have wheel spins to show you guys! I love my little spindle but I'm ready to upgrade. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 06:47:29 PM by Tinkerbellforever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
chibilightangel
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008 08:45:20 PM »

This is my first time joining fiber friday with my first completed yarn. I initially decided to start spinning from looking at the weekly postings so I'm happy I finally get to join in.

This is 50g of coopworth roving spun and plied on my grandmother's spinning wheel. A rough estimate of 72 yards total but I really should take a better measure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008 09:04:01 PM »

My first Fiber Friday, woo!!!

In short, I found a beautiful antique wheel on vacation over the summer, bought her, shipped her home, and had to wait until Christmas to use her.

Estelle is very proud to be in tip-top shape again.

This weekend I gave her a good cleaning, rubbed her down with mineral oil (so lusterous now!), and got this whole double drive thing figured out.  She threw the drive band a couple of times, but she seems to have warmed up to me now.

I present her first yarn in decades, and my first "real" yarn ever:

First bobbin of singles

Plied, and very full

Modeled by Estelle

Close-up

Details: approx. 40 yards, worsted to super bulky, mill ends with some pinkish shiny bits I believe are angora.  I don't know if I'll dye it or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whisp3rd
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008 09:06:14 PM »

I have so many favs this weeks its not even funny. Fantastic job guys!

I think something that really jumps out at me right now is the variety of colors everyone has. It's like, during the winter colors are a little more toned down, but this week everything is so bright. Quite lovely :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lelila
geek.

nerd love.

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008 09:55:35 PM »

feralfemenine - I am totally in love with Panama Jack!  It's such an unusual combination of colors, but they go together so beautifully!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) [email protected] [email protected] Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ [email protected] Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ [email protected] ALTSw(++)
itscute
Blimy

I live like a hermit in my own head.

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008 11:36:11 PM »

wow, the handspun is great!  I love the how now brown cow, the blue & brown goes very well together!

Greenery... I'm on a green kick.  i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008 01:15:17 AM »

I want to pet the first one lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antsy
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008 01:54:17 AM »

I've got yarn lust.

I'm now trying to convince my mom that she should buy me a spinning wheel and everything so I can make my own yarn. somehow I don't think she's going for it.

everybody's yarn is absolutly gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buffalospinner
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008 07:22:50 AM »

Your spinning wheel looks beautiful!! The yarn you spun is great too.
I use an antique wheel similar to yours and really enjoy using it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swearonthemoon
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008 12:17:34 PM »

pretty fiber friday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008 07:24:27 PM »

Ack! for some reason my picture didn't post. I'll try again.
This is Wonkaville, 65 yards of super-bulky wool that I'm knitting up for a DS Case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008 09:10:05 PM »

My favorite has to be panama jack. I managed to spin up quite a lot of yarn this week but did not take pictures in time. I will try to do so in time for next week. I think I'm about to become a spinning fool since found someone who is willing to trade web services for yarn and soap.

Great job everyone! I hope to post more often these days since I have renewed last year's resolution to spin a skein a week. Since I pulled off 2 last week, and a lot of plying, I think I am on track!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008 07:31:14 AM »

I am excited to be participating in Fiber Friday (even though it's technically Sunday)!

I recently took a spinning class and got a wheel for Christmas, so here's my first spun FO:

It's about 40 yards of roving I got from the Flying Ewe on Etsy a long, long time ago when I first thought I may take up spinning.  I'm pretty happy with it, though there are some places the plying isn't so hot and there's a lot of twist in one of the singles that didn't get worked out with plying.. BUT, I imagine those types of things will get better with time.

I feel hardly worthy to participate, but everyone's yarns are so inspirational!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008 11:04:16 AM »

I think it looks fantastic, lapoli!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
isamax
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008 05:37:33 PM »

Bravo!!! 

Well done everyone! You all are really making me miss my wheel that has recently been put away in the closet since our new puppy arrived!  I think I will have to introduce them soon..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ba Ba Booey
Thenutmeg2000

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008 06:18:38 PM »

Ok- so I know it is way past friday but I am going to include my pic for the week anyhow. I spun this up over the last week on the drop spindle and then used my wheel to ply. Long story- wheel goes only one way because I can't seem to figure out how to keep the stupid bolt  that was used in the correct place to go both ways- It tightens the opp. direction-whatever-The fiber was from a yummy swap "Can you make yarn out of this.." and my buddy was Christy_Cooper. Go Christy!! Also- I have never made a plied yarn so it's my first. I used the top of the spice jar to seperate the plies..

Here is what I started with- a neato assortment of wools and a silk cap, some tussah silk
and here is the finished product

the pics are also on the Swap Gallery but I am sorta proud of it so I wanted to share it... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raynbow
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008 10:08:49 AM »

Gomeriffic that yarn looks totally awesome! You're a spinning machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gomerriffic
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008 11:11:42 AM »

yay you're back! How were the holidays?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008 01:27:23 PM »

This is from Carol Lee's #1 wool roving.  A deeper burgandy than what shows on her page.  Paul fell in love with it immediately and asked for a toque.  There is 366 yards of double ply, about 16 wpi:

This is 481 yards, about 25 wpi. I carded about 50/50 corriedale with the blue from Carol Lee's #1 wool roving.  The pictures don't show the true color, which is more a purple than a blue.  These will be knitted into socks for me:

A bulkier weight, heavy worsted double ply, about 220 yards.  It is Carol Lee's olive green #1 roving carded with Carol's black mill ends (that she always throws in for free).  The bits of yellow, orange, red are randomly placed soy silk:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008 01:28:44 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...