A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 313,326
Currently Running With Scissors:
259 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin Spoon Pendant  (Read 5146 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mansonette
« on: January 03, 2008 07:38:17 PM »

Inspired by www.spoonfedart.com and motivated by http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=211720.0.

This picture is of me wearing it.  I really like how it turned out and will probably make more.  I am excited to try out one like the star pendant too!  ...and yes I realize I used a grapefruit spoon.  Oh well.  Whatcha gonna do.

Here you can see what is inside a little better...with no flash.

Here is the back so you can see how I bent the handle.  I couldn't really find any help online on how to easily bend it, so I used good ol elbow grease and pliers.  It ended up bending pretty much in half so I had to use a grinding bit I have for reaming out my lampwork beads to grind myself a hole big enough for the cord.  I still can't fit a chain through it.  Maybe I'll grind a little more to make the hole bigger.  I kinda like it the way it is too though.

Comments welcome.  I always love to hear what you guys have to think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008 07:47:22 PM »

Oh wow! that's really cool... in a kind of disturbing way  Tongue I like the conjoined skeleton picture. question though... dont the teeth of the spoon poke you when you wear it?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008 07:54:26 PM »

That's an awesome pendant!!
Very cool idea Cheesy love the skeletons!
The 'teeth' suit the necklace nicely. If they do scratch you, (the teeth) just try filing them down a bit to dull them. I'm sure you already thought of that though Tongue
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008 07:55:09 PM by BonEsInspired » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soteralu
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008 08:00:44 PM »

Love.  This.

I want to go play with resin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkDaisy
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008 08:24:38 PM »

That is super awesome. I've been thinking about doing this for a while. I even bought the spoons and the resin... but I just haven't gotten around to it.

I hope mine turns out as great as yours.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Jewelry/Plus Size Clothing Etsy:  http://etsy.com/shop/alibuttonsdesigns

My fatshion blog: http://alibuttons.blogspot.com/
schtickl
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008 08:30:03 PM »

awesome job! ive seen a few of these on deviantart.com and have been thinking of doing it but have no idea what kind of spoon to use (type of metal) what type did you use? i dont want it to be such a cheap spoon that it'll break in half but i dont want it to be so tough that it will not bend haha. :Pdid you embed in layers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am going to an incredibly inexpensive jewelry street with about 5 miles of stores - will go shopping for anyone who wants stuff - PM me for details please Smiley

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5488961
zen-art-gallery.deviantart.com

SoRo Jewelry Design
Ladycakes
night owlish

fire my spirit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008 09:38:06 PM »

Oooh that's awesome. I love how it's creepy and pretty at the same time.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008 07:31:22 AM »

I friking want that a ton.  That is amazing!  What exactly are the skulls made out of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008 11:11:55 AM »

This is SUCH a cool idea! :-o I wonder if I could do this with translucent liquid polyclay. I'm scared of resin as it's meant to be really toxic...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mansonette
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008 06:31:56 PM »

Thanks everyone.  It was really cool to make, but I am so damn impatient and the resin takes FOREVER to completely harden.  I used Easy Cast Clear Casting Resin from Castin' Craft.  It comes with the two bottles that you mix in even parts.  I just picked up some Castin' Craft Clear liquid plastic Casting Resin tonight that I am excited to play with.  It is different because you have to follow the bottle and add just the right amount of drops of the catalyst.  It scares me just a bit, so I think I may like the Easy Cast better.  Oh yeah...the Easy Cast is low odor and the others isn't.  I might have to crack the window in this cold Wisconsin weather.  Brrrrrrr.

I used stainless steel spoons I got from Goodwill.  This one was a grapefruit spoon and the handle isn't that incredibly thick, so it was easy to cut through and ok to bend.  I think I would stick with stainless steel, even though it can be a pain to bend, because it won't turn my skin colors and other growdy stuff.

The skeleton picture is one I found online and just sized down to fit inside the spoon with some room around for the glitter.  I coated it with 3 coats of Mod Podge because I had read somewhere that unsealed paper turns clear in resin.  I don't know if that is true, but I didn't want to take a chance on something that was taking me a long time to make.  I put Mod Podge on the spoon then and kind of stuck the edges down so it was smooth.  I know there was air under the picture because I didn't push it all the way down, but it was ok with the edges sealed to the spoon.  Then I painted the spoon in sections with black paint and coated it with black glitter.  I then carefully tapped on the colored glitter with a small dry paint brush.  I curled up a stick pin and put that in there too.  I took the dry paint brush to move the glitter off of the picture (which was a pain) and then carefully poured the resin on in the middle of the picture.  I let it flatten out a little on its own and then helped it out.  Since all of the glitter wasn't 'fastened' down, I had to take a toothpick and pick off all of the pieces of glitter that floated to the surface.  I also used an embossing heat gun to get all of the bubbles out of the resin.  You just make it nice and hot and QUICKLY blow it over the resin a few times.  Make sure you are a foot or more away otherwise you will spill the resin right out of the spoon. 

Oh well.  I hope I answered all of your questions.  I feel like I am writing a novel.  Don't hesitate to ask anything else though.

Thanks again!!!
Oh yeah.  I am going to a Marilyn Manson concert here in February for my birthday and wanted to make one to wear there.  What kind of picture do you think I should put in it?? or what should I carve in one (kinda like the star pendant)??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: WELCOME!
April 19, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Double Looped Dog Tug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...