A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 314,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
205 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Afghans! phew  (Read 3200 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

subloke
« on: January 06, 2005 08:20:24 PM »

Okay, I will now attempt my first picture post!  (please cross your fingers!)

I wasn't working for a few months, so I decided that I could make afghans for my nieces and nephews for Christmas.  Cheaper, give me something to do, no problem.  Hmm...  I felt like I was in "afghan hell" after a while there.  I ended up starting a bunch of different projects while I was "supposed" to be working on these!  I got them finally done about 1 week before Christmas.  So, here they are.  4 crocheted afghans in 2 months. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
subloke
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005 09:47:40 AM »

Sorry bout that!  i think they are there now.

Individual shots (sorry if this is too much.  i'm just excited about posting pics!!)

This was for my very VERY girly 5 year old niece.  The flowers and the background were really quick to do, but then sewing the flowers on took FOREVER!!!  I had pictured exactly what I wanted to do and then stumbled across a free pattern on the Bernat website that was very similar to what I had started.  I got the flower pattern from there.

Green afghan for my 10 year old almost-tomboy niece.  Very crafty/creative girl, all she cares about is that it's not too girly and that it's green.  Originally the stripes were going across the width, but with 1 1/2 weeks to go before Christmas, I realized that I was making it too wide and it would take forever.  SO, vertical stripes!

The afghan that inspired my crazed Christmas crocheting ... er...  nightmare?  This was for my 11 year old nephew.  I had made one almost exactly like this for my dad just before he passed away and my nephew, who was very close with my dad, asked me everytime we've been at my mom's if i would make him one. 

Very boy-ish afghan for 8 year old nephew.  I actually frogged a couple of unfinished (like by 2 years) projects and discovered that the yarn was the same colors as that of the Bernat camoflage yarn I had picked up.  hence, the big granny squares (plus that was much faster).

Nephew #3, the 3 year old, received a fleece throw with a printed scene of a farm (he is completely crazy about the farm.) so I didn't crochet one for him.

Phew
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005 10:02:55 AM by subloke » THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogsrock
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005 11:38:40 AM »

omg i wanna make that flower one!

link please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005 11:47:41 AM »

Here it is:  http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=1043

I made the background in the same stitch as the pattern I linked to, but I ran out of green so I did borders in the flower colors to make it bigger.  I didn't make as many flowers as the pattern called for (it's actually a bed spread and I wanted a throw).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JodyBoBodie

God Bless Us Everyone!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005 01:13:52 PM »

Love the flower afghan!  That is too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005 01:27:50 PM »

Thanks! 

I almost wanted to keep it for myself, but then i realized that as much as i was busting with pride (which goes before a fall) I really am not very girly and it would eventually drive me crazy!  Better that it go to live with someone who will love love love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monstergirl
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005 12:41:14 AM »

subloke:

Those blankets are fantastic! Since I handmade 90% of my gifts this year (crazy, but true), I was throwing around the idea of crocheting afghans for, well, *every*one this year (that's about 10 people/gifts, not counting the boy who I am already in the process of making one for), and I think I will make the flowery one for my friend's girly-girl 5 year old...so I expect crochet madness to ensue! At least I can start on it now...!

Thanks for posting the pics, true inspiration!
peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marnewein
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005 04:11:22 AM »

Wow, those are great.  I am sure your nieces and nephews loved them! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005 08:57:19 AM »

Thank you ALL for all of your comments!  These are some of the very first pics I've posted here (being digital camera deprived) and the encouragement has been, well, encouraging.  My close friends tell me they like what I've made, but, well, they love me and always say nice things, even when I know it's not so nice! 

Thanks again! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005 12:16:03 PM »

I just love the flower afghan.  It looks fun and just a little girly.  I've only made 2 afghans in my life and they took forever.  Especially the baby afghan using baby yarn is not fun I got it done in 18 months and my daughter was 1.  So I feel your pain. 4 aghans in 2 months.  Crazy!!! You did a great job, almost, makes me want to make one. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...