A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
164 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am clueless! Please help!  (Read 463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
TrashedClothing

You only wish you had a Yeti hat like me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 02, 2008 06:32:31 PM »

Hi everyone. I never knit anything before...EVER. When we got the issue of Craft with the Crime Scene Scarf, my boyfriend proclaimed that he must have it. I decided that I would learn to knit just to make him this scarf.

Thankfully, my Mom's neighbor grew up in France knitting all her clothes so she was super kind and showed me the ropes. Stupid me though....I crochet!! When I got to the end of the scarf, not thinking, I just tied it off and pulled it off the needle. YOU CAN'T DO THAT WITH KNITTING.

Now I have all these loops and I already cut the yarn and don't know what to do. Can someone PLEASE help this beginner? (if it would help, I can take a photo and post it)  Sad

THANK YOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008 06:44:13 PM »

First - congratulations on your first knit item! That is really great that you were able to do that scarf!

Now, for your problem (and as a crocheter and knitter, I can SO see how it happened!)

You're all set for a crochet bind off!
Do you have an afghan stitch hook? If so, thread it through all those loops, making sure you haven't dropped any, then crochet just like the afghan stitch to finish up your scarf. That will make for a very pretty and even ending for your scarf - even better than knitted, often.

If you want to do a knit bind off, you need to take your needle and carefully thread it through all those loops. Then start binding off. (begin with slip 1, knit one, then pass the first stitch over the second. Then knit one and again pass the back stitch over the front stitch and do that across the row. When you get to the end you can finish off the loop like you do for crochet.)

Now - Did you notice how each stitch usually is presenting its side when you knit? When you pick up the stitches, they may not be in that same position, so you turn them by putting it on the right needle, then slip it back off to the left needle. Don't worry about picking them up correctly - the main thing is to get them all back on your needle! It isn't a vital thing for the cast off row, but it will help it look a teensy bit better!

Oh - and since you have cut your yarn, you'll just have to *gulp* tie it back on and then hide the knots when all is finished.

Hope this helps! all is NOT lost! Oh - and if one of the stitches came unravelled - just get out your crochet hook and bring it back up to where it is supposed to be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TrashedClothing

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008 06:50:44 PM »

Oh my gosh! You are my savior! I don't know what the heck I was thinking. I am going to dig out my crochet hooks and go for it that way. I was planning on backing it with black fleece so I will carefully stitch that all together after.  Huh Huh

I really don't want it to look bad. I know it is my first knit, but the boy HATES scarves so this is a big step in him keeping warm.

I can not thank you enough. Now keep your fingers crossed that I don't mess up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superchloe
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008 06:54:46 PM »

I loved making that scarf!
If you used the longer method ("for a more finished look") then I reccomend the mattress stitch for the seam, if you haven't seamed it already:
http://knitty.com/issuespring04/mattress.html
For binding off, knittinghelp.com has some great videos explaining what you'll need to do: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/casting-off
you can do a basic knit bind off if you want: transfer the stitches to the other needle, so that your yarn end is farthest from the tip of the needle. after binding off, just pull the yarn through your last loop (just as in crocheting) then weave in your ends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrashedClothing

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008 06:56:42 PM »

Awesome! I will definitely watch that too. I did the shorter version so that I could back it with fleece. I hope that wasn't a stupid idea. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...