A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
246 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Favorite Carding Method?  (Read 4548 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Fiberwish

Wool Today...Yarn Tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008 01:23:15 AM »

MarionH - BTW, that wool in those batts looks D-E-V-I-N-E!  Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moilulu
I have no idea what I'm doing!

shit happens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008 04:23:35 AM »

Fiberwish
please do tell a bit(lot) more about your carding methods- how do you mean layering? I have been expermenting but just get striped .I have an ashford drum carder that hasn't been getting much use because I'm not happy with the results I just feel dumb because I don't get it!!!!
I have tons- well pounds of raw wool just sitting !!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

a day without knitting is like a month without sunshine

I will knit for you in a personal swaps !!!!
(cause that's what I do!)

http://www.wists.com/moilulu
MarionH
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008 06:36:58 AM »

Is Sari Silk easy to card?  I have never tried it cause I always wondered if it would get stuck in that carder or bend the teeth or something horrible would happen (I think I am still "babying" my new carder...or I am just a little "slow" at times, LOL).  Has it gone through the carder easily, or did you have to prep it any certain way before carding? 

I just CAN NOT STOP LOOKING AT THAT PICTURE!  Those batts are just beautiful!

thank you fiberwish for the compliment Smiley I actually used a pretreatet sari fiber which make the blending no problem at all. Here's a link to check out what the fibers look like: http://www.paradisefibers.net/Sari-Silk-Blending-Fiber-p/3819.htm

I also have the normal sari silk, but havent tried to card it yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008 07:52:50 AM »

Here's some cormo, bamboo, angelina blend I created awhile back. First I card the cormo and bamboo separately then I blend by layering and adding the angelina in between the layers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
MarionH
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008 09:38:07 AM »

Those are so beautiful Star. I would love to spin them Cheesy
I was wondering, how do you get them into that ball shape ? I always make batts, never figured out how to ball them up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008 10:31:54 AM »

I take the bats and twist the ends in opposite directions twice which causes the bat to twist on itself like a skien of yarn would. Then I grab the ends and pull them halfway through to create the ball. I'll try to draft something up to scan in to make it clearer if you need.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 11:36:23 AM by Star217 - Reason: spelling errors abound!! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
MarionH
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008 11:30:09 AM »

I take the bats and twist the ends in opposite directions twice which causes the bat to tist on itself like a skiend of yarn would. Then I grab the ends and pull them halfway through to create the ball. I'll try to draft something up to scan in to make it clearer if you need.

I had to give it a try right away and it worked like a charm. Thank you so much star for sharing this ! Made my day Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008 01:47:01 AM »

*sigh* in my dream world a spinner would live really nearby and would go halves with me on a drum carder... I should probably first get some hand carders and start somewhere, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008 10:47:14 AM »

Fiberwish- Wow! Congratulations on your big win and new drum carder. I love everyones batts! I never remember to take pictures because after I card some I sit down and start spinning them.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fiberwish

Wool Today...Yarn Tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008 02:00:04 PM »

Fiberwish
please do tell a bit(lot) more about your carding methods- how do you mean layering? I have been expermenting but just get striped .I have an ashford drum carder that hasn't been getting much use because I'm not happy with the results I just feel dumb because I don't get it!!!!
I have tons- well pounds of raw wool just sitting !!!!

I just take a small amount each of at least 3 colors, card them each separately until they are well carded, then I put them on the carder by adding one after another.  At this point you will have a "sandwichy" looking batt, it should look layered from the edges, but solid colored on the big flat sides.  Then I split it into 4 strips and card them together, then I repeat until I am happy with the batt.  Easy and fun, and the results can realllllly change the way you look at color.  Optical mixing starts happening after it gets carded 3-4 times, and it can get a little muddy, too.  I put my layered batt through 3 times to get a nice blend without losing the original colors.  Sometimes twice is plenty, you really have to eyeball it.  So fun...you'll be addicted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...