A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
224 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vintage caplet knitting/crochet pattern  (Read 101299 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

kat_penguino

I'm a noble rabbit

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2005 06:05:49 PM »

I have an aunt who goes to a lot of estate sales, and sometimes she buys me vintage sewing and knitting books. This is a knitting pattern from 1935  that she gave me. The pattern says it is for knitting, but when I read the instructions, it actually seems to  have crochet instructions. But it's very cute, I hope somebody will be able to make it!

Directions: (as copied from book)

Canterbury Feather Cape

Materials: 7 balls Bernat Canterbury White No. 2442; 1 ball Canterbury Rose No. 2437
1 Steel Hairpin Hook 7.5 inches long, 5 inches wide
1 Crochet Hook No. 2
One darning needle

Using 2  balls at the same time. If a very light weight is desired 1 ball may be used but the heavier weight is best.
Holding the hairpin hook with point downward, tie a loop of thread around the hook, with the knot in the center of the hook. Make a single crochet stitch at the knot. Take the thread in the left hand, toward the left, and around the left side of the hairpin hook, to the back of the knot. Make a single crochet stitch with this thread. Now remove the crochet hook. This makes a loop toward the right side. Insert the crochet hook again into the single crochet stitch , and make a single crochet with the thread form the right side of the hairpin hook, and another single crochet into or around the front or top thread of the loop towards the left. Repeat this turning, always from right to left, and the two single crochet stitches, first to the right and then to the left, for the entire band. This is the old fashioned hairpin lace.

1st: Make one row 15 inches long. (this forms the collar)
2nd: Make one row 30 inches long. (this is beginning of shoulders)
3rd: Make one row 45 inches long. ( this is also the shoulder)
4th: make 4 rows 60 inches long. ( this forms rest of cape)

After making these rows crochet one edge only of each row (except first row). Then take the first row and join second row to it right in the center of the first row. This may be done with darning needle and thread to match. Then join 3rd row to second row in center of the 2nd row. Continue thus until you have attached all the rows. Each row overlaps the other and forms a ruffle or feather-like appearance. When all the rows are joined, with a crochet hook and rose wool make an edge on each overlapping ruffle and on each side of the first ruffle making a single crochet stitch in each loop of double thread, with three single crochet stitches between. Put half a yard of rose velvet ribbon on each side of edge of collar.

Color Suggestions:
Pale blue-deeper edge
Peach-white edge
Pink-rose edge
yellow-white edge

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005 06:40:46 PM »

That looks like it could be lovely.  I think it's hairpin lace, which is akin to crochet, but not, quite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
eoz
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005 11:54:19 PM »

Dude! Tasteful use of hairpin crochet! (I've only ever seen baaad 70's designs before.) I'm rather inclined to learn how to do hairpin crochet, and make this. Thanks for posting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Q. What do you do with a dead chemist?
A. Barium.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pom Pom Shades
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...