A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 315,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
279 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Labels???  (Read 1429 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

sugar
« on: December 20, 2007 10:33:08 AM »

I bought a yard of fabric quilt labels to use on my quilts. But I don't know the best method to writing on them and attaching them to my quilt. I think I remember the lady saying something about using freezer paper. Does anyone have any input on how I should make these labels???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KyTriplets
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007 06:54:03 PM »

Freezer paper would be used as a stabilizer on the back so that you can write on the front more easily.  I use my ruler and a sharpie to draw as many straight lines on the freezer paper as I need to use for reference.  Once you iron it on the back of the label, the lines can be seen through the fabric so that you can keep your handwriting from flowing downhill.

I use pigma pens to write on my labels and then turn the edges under with my iron.  Then I slipstitch it on the back.  I've also used some leftover binding to finish off the edges of the label and then used some wonder under to iron that sucker down to the back.

HTH
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007 10:48:58 AM »

I also use Pigma pens - just remember to heat set the ink (by ironing it) or it may wash out when the quilt gets cleaned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007 03:06:20 PM »

I use a variety of fabric paints/pens for my labels ... Pigma are wonderful and don't bleed. Some pens need heat-setting, some don't, but press everything before I attach the label. just in case. I also use ribbons, rick-rack, buttons, you name it.  I've even used bleach pens to stencil designs. You're only limited by your imagination.

But when I make a muslin/light coloured fabric label, I use a double thickness of fabric so the quilts' backing fabric doesn't show through the label. I usually attach the label using tiny applique whip stitches, but have also used decorative running stitches, blanket stitching and once even snaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
bookgrrl42

cutest little quilt dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007 07:24:43 PM »

I've read that if you iron freezer paper to the back of the fabric and cut it (accurately - what am I saying, I'm talking to a quilter - you know accurate) 8.5" x 11" you can print on it (just like the expensive printer fabric they sell for more $$$).  I haven't tried it myself only because I've had jamming issues with my printer when I use the $$$ printer fabric).  Also, there are ink setting / bleeding issues depending on the printer and the ink.  I would suggest lightly starching the fabric if you decide to make your own printer fabric as well as wetting it after printing and ironing to test color fastness before sewing it to your finished quilt.  Might be worth futzing with if you prefer typed fonts vs. handwriting.  You can also design labels w/photos and clip art if you can print it.  I was able to avoid the printer issue by (don't tell on me) going to Kinkos with my printer fabric and using their color copiers and placing my fabric in the paper tray - don't tell them you're doing this.   I just pre-printed my color label on paper, then took it to Kinkos w/my printer fabric and copied it on the color printer to my fabric.  I would still recommend wetting / ironing it to test before adding to your quilt.  Otherwise - it worked like magic. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't even get me started about the cheddar fabric
marcsews
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016 09:14:53 PM »

I remember my grandmother talking about a website she used that made quilt labels super cheap, wonderlabel? I think they used to be called labels and ribbon. Might want to try them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad
@Home This Weekend: St. Patrick's Day Wreath
March 13, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...