A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,644
Currently Running With Scissors:
207 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dirty dancing havana nights dress  (Read 25444 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

mechainsanity
« on: December 18, 2007 06:47:36 PM »

hey everybody, i'm a newbie (to both sewing and the forums).

i'm trying to replicate this dress: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2296/2121958346_89a1c238cf_o.jpg

after analyzing a ton of pictures, i came up with six main pieces: top bust + straps, center panel (back and front), 2 side panels, and the lower skirt. i think i can grab most of the pieces from different patterns, but my main problem is with the bust.

it seems that the bra is built in-and i have no idea how to do that-pattern suggestions? and i don't know what fabric to choose. i want something stretchy, something really lovely looking.

any suggestions and help would be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momokins
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007 08:41:50 PM »

For the built in bra, personally I would just get a well-fitting bra that I wouldn't mind cutting up and attach it at the side seams while constructing the garment. Then I'd chop off the back hooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi, you can call me Momo. I'm a spoiled-brat-turned-DIYer and a recovering shopaholic Smiley.

I love OOAK items.
mechainsanity
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007 04:35:23 PM »

well, that was simple enough! thanks for the tip.

if anybody knows about fabric to use, i was wondering about jersey material-someone brought it up and i was wondering where i could get a nice fashion fabrics like that in east bay, california
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RosemaryAnn
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008 09:44:12 AM »

Awesome dresss!!!!

Okay heres what I'm thinking.

The fabric of the one in the picture is satin or something, which is a **** to make fit you when your starting out. Maybe you should think about getting something with a little stretch so that it will cling to you nicely.

Other thing, Simplicity has ballroom patterns that look just like that.

If you dont want to use a pattern, ( I hate them) Take a slip, tank top...any thing that fits you the way you like it, and lay it on paper, and copy it! Then add here and there to make it what you want.

The flounces are circles with a hole in the middle.

Tell me how it goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mechainsanity
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008 03:52:39 PM »

yeah, definitely something with stretch. i'm looking for a stretch cotton and/or a stretch satin. if i can't find either, i'm going to go for taffeta. the joann's nearby has a limited selection of fabric-so i guess i'm going to have to end into SF.

thank god in heaven though, i found the perfect pattern that closely resembles what i want: Simplicity 4626, it's out of print-but i bet a couple of stores have some in reserve, and i can always go online and buy it on simplicity or ebay. yay!

i'm on my way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mechainsanity
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008 04:26:09 PM »

oh! i almost forgot to mention that i found bra cups in that joann store, so i don't have to cut up a bra. other than the awesome cotton skull print, it was the only productive thing i found acquired there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elle the crafter teen
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008 06:22:48 PM »

I'm not much of a seamstress, so I won't give advice (sorry.  If you were to use my advice, you would undoubtedly mess up a most amazing design.)

In the meantime, I LOVE that dress. And that movie.  She's in Atonement too- have you seen it? Not as nice of a wardrobe for her though. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know me! I'm that musical loving, Wicked obsessed, knitting, aspiring crafter girl with that weird user name!
intangibliana
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008 10:31:35 PM »

I'd check out a couple of the Sari shops on University for fabric. Gorgeous stuff, and it's not always as expensive as you may think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You are SO on fire.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Cozy Sweater Quilt
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...