A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
196 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 12/14/2007  (Read 4860 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 14, 2007 09:21:20 AM »

I can't believe I'm first!

This is Corazon is 95 yards of soft merino wool. It's the first time I have ever spun a bulky. It was pretty fun! I think I'll make another. I bought 1/2 pound of this colorway. I love it! I'd probably knit Corazon on size 9-11 needles.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007 09:56:57 AM »

Corazon is very pretty.  Love the color. 

I have one finished yarn this week.  I call it "Sherwood".

There are actually 2 skeins of this, for a total of 6 oz and around 300 yards.
It's romney, and although it softened up a bit after washing, it's still a bit scratchy.  I'd probably use it for a felted project.

And then, my pride and joy:

This is from the first fiber I ever got, a gift from the friend who sold me the spinning wheel.  It's about half of the 8 oz of Merino Superwash from Crown Mountain Farms in the Heat Wave colorway, which appears to be called "Light My Fire" now.
I am trying very hard to turn this into a 2-ply, sock weight yarn.  I think it is going pretty well so far, but still have half of the fiber left to spin.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007 09:57:21 AM by inle_rah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007 10:18:46 AM »

The new Crown Mountain colorways are different, even if they look similar. I had the pleasure of seeing some of the first of Klaus' new colorways at Oregon Flock and Fiber, and they aren't dyed the same way as the old colorways, dyed by Teyani. </crown mountain fiber lover nerdness>

Great yarns you two! My wheel has been neglected for quite a while now, I've been spending a lot more time knitting, since it's more portable for me and I've had to spend a lot of time on the road.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
inle_rah
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007 10:59:41 AM »

The new Crown Mountain colorways are different, even if they look similar. I had the pleasure of seeing some of the first of Klaus' new colorways at Oregon Flock and Fiber, and they aren't dyed the same way as the old colorways, dyed by Teyani. </crown mountain fiber lover nerdness>

Great yarns you two! My wheel has been neglected for quite a while now, I've been spending a lot more time knitting, since it's more portable for me and I've had to spend a lot of time on the road.

Good to know.  I hadn't bought the fiber myself, when I bought the wheel, I got the fiber as a birthday present, but it was so pretty, I didn't feel like my spinning could do it justice, so I put off working with it.  It spins up so nicely though.  I definitely want to order more fiber from them; I'm in love with the Atlantis colorway.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
feralfeminine
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007 12:38:13 PM »

Corazon is beautiful!! It looks so plush and vibrant. And the crown mountain farms colorway looks lovely too.

I've been spinning so much lately, but I think I'm going to have to take a few days off because my apartment really needs to be cleaned. There are little tufts and bits of wool everywhere - kind of like a rainbow sheep exploded in here.

Cloudwatching - omg. I kind of want to keep this one around just to snuggle. It can be my pet. It's so plush and squishy-soft! There are also a ton of slubby tufts of angora bunny fluff and kid mohair.

All That Remains - Post-apocalptic handspun. This one is my new favorite! I spun it from a complex batt that I carded on my drum carder from a ton of different fibers - soft naturally colored wool in pale grey-brown and chocolate brown that I bought from a woman who raises her own sheep, mill end wool in black, greys and browns, raw rambouillet locks (from another small local farm) in blood red, lime, brown, and mossy green, kid mohair locks (small local farm!) in pale blue & white, orange & brown soysilk naturally dyed with onion skins and walnut hulls, angora bunny fluff in brown & grey (from my own rabbit), various sparkles, ecospun (a fiber made from recycled plastic bottles) in white, brown, and mossy green, AND various scrap bits leftover from other projects. I plied it all together with a metallic silver thread for an amazing, textural, beastly skein of post-apocalyptic/steampunk/zombie killing yarn. (Whew.)

Candy Mountain - spun from a batt carded from random multicolored bits of merino-cross wool, plied with invisible thread strung with 30 felty baubles.

First Snowfall - We had the first snowfall of the year here last Tuesday, and this yarn was inspired by my morning walk to the post office that day - the dark contrast of the street & tree branches against the snowy whiteness, the red headlights glimmering in the distance, the misty clouds of breath, the grey skies, the last stubborn bits of green grass & weeds poking up through the blanket of snow, and the sense of stillness and wonder everywhere. I blended the fiber for this on my drum carder. I started with white and natural (undyed) brown falkland wool and added in gray falkland wool, natural chocolate brown wool and pale grey-brown wool from a small local farm, black mill end wool, shiny silvery-white tencel (a fiber made from wood pulp)/linen blend, white and red sparkle, red and brown raw rambouillet locks from a small local farm, white and brown mohair, white angora bunny fluff, shiny white bamboo, and green ecospun (a fiber made from recycled plastic bottles). I spun in big coccoons of fuzzy white mohair as I went. I also spun a little mini skein to compliment this yarn - it's spun from white falkland wool blended with the scraps from the first skein.

Sorry I got so talky! I actually spun more than this, but I'm too lazy to post it all. You can see the rest by clicking on any of my pictures to go to my flickr account.

I can't wait to see everyone else's yarns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

manicmaiden
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007 02:14:55 PM »

I'm so very excited.. my first fiber friday post.. i've been oggling for weeks at the lovely yarn thats been produced. i recently picked up my spinning wheel from home( ashford traveler that i got back in 6th grade while in 4-H)
here is my first round. i got the ball winder last night...and had a little fun. *cough* maybe too much fun.   

i'm not exactly sure what type of sheepie the to wools are, i got them in Bodega, CA (you know where curch from 'the birds' is located) they were having some Christmas fair the day after thanksgiving and i grabbed a paper shopping bag full of the brown stuff(batting, all sorts of fiber length.. not the best to spin.. but very cheap and perfect for a beginner run) and the white roving.. for $20.i've barely made a dent in each. *squee* plying is a crazy amount of fun. but i think i'm going to have to get another flyer so i can do a bit more chunky stuff..

and for added fun.. i made plastic yarn.. actually i was just going ot do the loop method and then crochet it.. but after a few chains.. i decided to spin it.. why not eh?

it has been nice to spin a bobbin after a 12 hour day...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thenutmeg2000
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007 02:46:41 PM »

OMG Cloudwatching is divine yummy yarn to covet! I don't think I'd part with that either. Man that is beautiful Shocked I also like the All that remains yarn. I have a clean trash can in my craft room I use to collect remnants and stuff I clean off the carder that I hope to one day make into neat stuff like that. The crown mountain farms fiber is hotness too! Super job gang!! All of it fibery goodness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phantomssiren

Life's Too Short To Follow Patterns

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007 04:02:19 PM »

feralfeminine- Speakpunk yarn! Genius! oh if only it hadn't gone already Sad

The cloudwatching is gorgeous but I could never bear to knit it its perfect as it is Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whisp3rd
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007 05:10:09 PM »

I am totally feeling the fall weather. Especially with the fact that it is the middle of december and it's 78 degrees here in Texas :[

Not sure of the yardage, definetly beyond 250. 2-ply thin yarn spun from roving from http://www.mainewoodsyarn.etsy.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007 08:24:28 PM »

inle- I really like heatwave, it's so pretty on the bobbin. What are you going to make with it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...