A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 314,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
169 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: potential new spinner  (Read 688 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Harsamina86

Kent State: famous for May 4th AND black squirrels

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2007 08:06:43 PM »

hello!

if the stars align properly this winter, i'll be getting my hands on a spinning wheel. I'm thinking that the Ashford Kiwi would be the wheel for me. I've looked at the review that's in a Livejournal community. But I'd guess I'd like somemore opinions.

I've never spun before, so I'd like something that 1) I can learn to start on, as well as improve and experiment on. and 2) I'd like to keep it under $400.

So, given those two parameters:
1) could the Kiwi fit need #1?
if not, which wheels out there do you lovely experienced spinners feel that would fit both of those needs?

OH! also...I'm left handed. And pretty dominantly so. Dunno if that matters so much with all of the wheels...but...thought i'd throw that in there....

thank you all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007 09:55:36 AM »

I LOVE my Kiwi.

And yes, it is great for beginning spinners.  It is not very "finicky" and is an easy wheel to learn on.  There are also attachments that you can eventually purchase, such as the jumbo flyer and the hi-speed attachment, so that the wheel can keep up with you as your skill improves. 

The orifice is smack in the middle of the wheel, so being left-handed shouldn't be a factor in performance.  It's a nice-sized orifice, and accomodates bulky yarns relatively well.  I imagine that the jumbo flyer would have an even bigger orifice. 

I really have no complaints about my Kiwi.  I took a spinning class during the fall and was able to try out some other wheels.  I liked the Lendrum, but the Louet drove me batty...the treadles caused my feet to overextend downward, and the hole in the flywheel (which is a balance that ideally is supposed to aid beginners in treadling clockwise) became really problematic when I was trying to ply.  Eventually I started bringing my Kiwi to class, because...well...I just liked it best of all!  Just a matter of personal preference, I s'pose.  I do know some people who really love their Louets. 

Granted, the Kiwi isn't as pretty as many wheels, and it isn't solid wood.  The good part about that is that it doesn't weigh a ton, so it's relatively easy to transport, in the front seat of your car, say.  It doesn't fold up like some wheels, but I really haven't found that to be a problem yet.  The main complaint with Ashford wheels is that the bobbins are smaller than many wheels, but the jumbo flyer would take care of that problem as well. 

And really...you just can't beat the price!  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007 10:03:35 AM by nicolassa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007 06:37:19 PM »

Hi Harsmina,
  I only spin on Kromskis, so I can't tell you anything about the Kiwi. Do you have a spinning guild nearby? Maybe you could try one out, or even buy a used one from someone. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LUBEE
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007 05:00:42 AM »

i also have a kiwi and i love love love it.
i have had it for a year and i got to the point where i wanted to do more so i added a jumbo flyer to it and now i love it even more.
i think a kiwi would be a great wheel to start you off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Black Bean & Caramelized Onion Tacos
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...