A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 315,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
257 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Learn to Knit books?  (Read 1907 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

SugarySweet
« on: December 12, 2007 07:54:16 AM »

Has anyone ever used the Learn to Knit books that you can find at the craft store?

I have thought about buying one, but I'm not sure if the intructions will be clear.

Do you know of any other book that was easy to learn from?

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007 08:48:56 AM »

Teach Yourself Visually Knitting if good.  The written directions are helpful & I like that there is a stitch dictionary, tips, and a variety of projects to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HomekeepingGran
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007 09:03:17 AM »

My personal favorite is Knitting for Dummies by Pam Allen.  I picked it up used at a bookstore for $4.00.  Since then I also acquired a copy of Vogue Knitting Vogue Knitting which is excellent.

P.S.  How do I fix the links so that it just says "Vogue Knitting" instead of all the code?  I keep playing around with the buttons and not quite catching it on this forum.

Thank you to Aneesah who showed me yet another way to remove all the URL code!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007 01:00:21 PM by HomekeepingGran » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessings,
Carla

"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands."  Proverbs 31:13
mooshie
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007 01:01:33 PM »

I have the learn to knit book that I found at a craft store for about $15 8 years ago (I also used a 40% off coupon), it came with 2 sizes of needles, a tapestry needle, stitch holder, bobbins, needle tip protectors, and a cable needle.  the instructions in the book are good, and it has pictures. I like it because it gives instructions for left and right handed knitting.  this was great for me since I'm left handed!  it teaches english style knitting, and I've since decided that I prefer continental style knitting, but it was still a good book to learn from since it helped me understand a lot of what I was doing b-4 I learned continental. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueeyes1084
~Amber~

My husbands favorite color is blond..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007 02:02:47 PM »

Has anyone ever used the Learn to Knit books that you can find at the craft store?

I have thought about buying one, but I'm not sure if the intructions will be clear.

Do you know of any other book that was easy to learn from?

Thanks

I learned from a book  and websites! It worked for me!! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you~

There's one good thing about making mistakes..... you learn great lessons from them!
princesspepper
Limitlessness is an addictive fix...

coffee, coffee, save my life...

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007 02:41:44 PM »

I really like stitch'n'bitch, the knitters handbook
http://knithappens.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slmoses
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007 03:09:21 PM »

I learned how to knit from one of those little booklets that you can find at any craft store. I don't have it anymore (I gave it to a friend so she could learn too) but I think I just got it at WalMart. It had good pictures and clear instructions. I also used (and still do!) knittinghelp.com a lot. The videos are great when you can't quite figure out what to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blueeyes1084
~Amber~

My husbands favorite color is blond..

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007 07:49:23 PM »

i bought a book tonight called MARAN ILLUSTRATED Knitting & Crocheting - it had great pictures for patterns and such!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you~

There's one good thing about making mistakes..... you learn great lessons from them!
kell
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007 08:34:17 PM »

I really like Teen Knitting Club, which is odd, because I'm not a teenager, nor was I when I bought the book  Roll Eyeshttp://www.amazon.com/Teen-Knitting-Club-Chill-Knit/dp/1579652441/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197520169&sr=8-2

Kids Knitting  is also a very good beginning to knit book.  It was even featured on Martha Stewart when it first came out.  http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Knitting-Projects-all-Ages/dp/1579652417/ref=cm_lmf_tit_9_rdssss0

Note to self:  must find age appropriate books. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007 08:39:04 PM by kell » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007 09:06:40 PM »

I second "Teach Yourself Visually Knitting" I love that book. I bought it though after I knew how to knit and purl.

The book that helped me to do more than just the knit stitch was a book aimed at younger knitters but works for anyone learning I think: "Cool Stuff. Teach Me To Knit" That is the book that taught me to purl, increase, decrease. I got it at Micheals Crafts. Green cover.

Also www.knittinghelp.com has videos. I like this site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Welcome Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...