A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
268 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need recipes for gift baskets for Diabetics please.  (Read 1673 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MolokovCocktail
« on: December 10, 2007 11:32:37 AM »

Hi all,

My boyfriend has a huge family and every year to try to save some money I try to craft or bake for everyone. This year I have planned the following to be made and put into gifts baskets:

- Chocolate covored pretzel rods (white, dark, milk)
- Banana Bread
- Turtles (pretzels with pecans, caramel, and chocolate melted onto them)
- Sugar cookies
- Peanut butter kiss cookies. (the ones with hershey kisses)
- Brownies
- White chocolate peppermint bark
- Peanut brittle / bark
- mugs with hot chocolate and marshmellow mixes in them.

Only problem is, I have 4 diabetics to include in this mix. What do I do for them? Does anyone have any good gift basket-able products recipes?

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007 02:27:11 PM »

i would replace the sugar with Xylitol.  it's exactly like sugar, except it's much healtier for you.  my dad is a big promoter of it because it helps prevent cavities.  and i've been using it because i can't have sugar anymore because i'm a low-carb diet.  if you can't find it in your local grocery store check your local health food store, if you can't find it, use splenda.  and you can use it for your non-diabetic friends and family.  i swear it tastes just like sugar and you'll never be able to tell the difference.  you'll be able to make all the stuff you have on your list with xylitol.  it's a little on the expensive side, more than splenda, but it works just like sugar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
helenabucket
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007 07:21:58 PM »

Could you give dried fruit and dates/prunes? Seems it would pack a sweet punch without the sugar. Also, good hard cheeses like Parmesan would be very good. Even fresh goat cheese would be lovely paired with fresh fruit. Or brie. Wow, brie, apples, apricots and pine nuts. MMMMMM.

On second thought, I'm going to give this to myself for xmas. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007 01:02:06 PM »

You might want to skip food gifts for the diabetics and replace them with soaps, bath salts, candles, slippers, notebooks or stationary, and such to avoid interrupting their diets at all. If it has to be food, maybe teas, spice mixes or nuts? I've seen seasonings that you can mix with reduced fat cream cheese or sour cream to make veggie dips, or maybe soup in a jar kits?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
SumariaJane
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007 08:54:21 AM »

so being a newly diagnosed diabetic i have been having issues with this myself but ALAS! i have found cookies and a TON of stuff that can be altered for diabetics. 
Personally i am in love with sugar cokkkies and since i cannot havbe them anymore i have been rather sad  Sad BUT i found a recpie for diabetic sugar cookies they have the low fat/low sugar bisquik in them ans sour cream... they taste so good.  my friends that aren't diabetic want them cause they are all fluffy.

but i just searched for a few sites with cook and other recipes for you and i will give you links... YAY!

http://www.informationaboutdiabetes.com/Cookie.htm     <- good cookie recipes but not much else

http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/cat_cookies.htm

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/diabetic/

i hope these help!
Sumariajane
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glittergirl94
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007 11:04:06 AM »

I haven't poked around much here, but I've always had excellent luck with the rest of the recipes they have...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Living/Diabetic/Main.aspx

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007 03:49:28 PM »

there is a recipe on here for banana oatmeal cookies...they are yummy and I love them because I can eat as many as I want. (Hypoglycemic)

My dad has a recipe around here somewhere for diabetic cake with sugar free jam and sugar free cool whip...it is yummy.
You could like include the recipe. If I find it I will post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...