A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
158 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Modern Quilt Quiltalong 2008  (Read 13187 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SewHelpMe
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008 01:43:43 PM »

I made a big purchase recently in the remnant bin at Hancocks of Paducah.

Ahhhh....  IamSusie...  I have a total fabric fetish.  Your fabrics are totally delicious!  Lucky you for rescuing it from the remnant bin!  I can't wait to see what you make!

Quiltmaking always results in lots of leftover fabric.  That's why there are so many scrap quilt patterns out there. 
The reason I'm so disappointed in how much green I have leftover is because it's already been sewn into layers and cut into chunks.  If I had leftover yardage, I probably wouldn't be as disappointed.  I'm kicking myself for spending all that time cutting and sewing those layers when I KNEW the book was wrong.  Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it?!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008 08:07:48 AM by SewHelpMe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008 04:19:47 PM »

IamSusie - oh my! those fabrics are so amazing i might cry out of joy! the colors are so brilliant and bright. it's like being in heaven! ahh anyways great fabric choices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
Rose1234
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008 04:27:53 PM »

Wow, those blocks look fab! I don't blame you for wanting to make another quilt top, lol. Plenty of fabric and the colors are to die for.

Am jellus of the fabric purchase. I'm on a fabric diet. My stash is so big, I could probably make 30 quilts without buying another yard.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OnlySiamese
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008 02:19:34 PM »

IamSusie - Your fabrics are awesome!!  I love Hancocks of Paducah!  I have the beach ball fabric too!  Smiley

SewHelpMe - Your blocks really turned out great!  My book finally came in and I have only had time to read the front section.  I also thought that the pattern called for too much fabric. What do you think?  Would 4 or 5 yards of the green assortment have been enough?  What about the red?  Did you use the entire 7 yards of red?

By the way, I REALLY like the book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewHelpMe
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008 03:29:07 PM »

Would 4 or 5 yards of the green assortment have been enough?  What about the red?  Did you use the entire 7 yards of red?

Yep.  I think 4-5 yards of greens would definitely be enough, but I can't say for sure exactly HOW much you'll need?  Let me know how much you buy (and if it's enough) so I can write it in my book!  And, yes, 7 yards of red is pretty accurate.  I have about 1/2 a yard left over, but I laser-cut all of my red so I'm not sure how that compares to rotary cutting.

I've decided I'm definitely making another queen-sized quilt with all of my extra green.  Only I'm going to use a dark green for the center and "field" blocks.

**UPDATE**
Wait a minute!  I forgot I have about 21" of red fabric in the garage (I cut too much for the laser).  So, I really have a little less than a yard left over of red
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008 03:37:33 PM by SewHelpMe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisyprincess98
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008 07:20:39 PM »

Here is my update Smiley

Here is the plan:

Here is what I have done:

I have ALL the pieces cut for the center.  I do not have the binding cut yet, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

I have all the pinwheel pieces cut, and separated by fours into baggies

And tonight I started assembling the pinwheel units (I only did 12, it's late!)

So far, so good!  I tried to find patterns that were "busy" enough that it would still show when they were cut so small, and I wanted BRIGHT, not the pastel that the pattern calls for.  I have more fabrics than what is shown, but I didn't get them all photographed.  One day...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008 07:22:19 PM by daisyprincess98 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~April~

Mama to a teen, a princess, a super hero and a noise maker!
Jinkies
Creatalicious!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008 07:45:20 PM »

Well, I probably shouldnt, but I wanna....  I have been saying that after Christmas I was going to start on my first ever quilting project so this is a good thing!!

I am going to try the Amy Butler Lotus Brick Path quilt... it looks simple for a first quilt.  My second one (see how optimistic I am??) will probably be a Ginger Bliss quilt.

My biggest hurdle is fabric selection - I have this anal retentive thing going on so finding more than 3 fabrics that match is impossible for me.  How do you put so many fabrics together?  I know I love seeing other quilts with multiple fabrics...

Oh, and I would love some tips and tricks - maybe a beginning quilters site?  Things like - do you backstitch the beginning and end of a block?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008 07:51:30 PM by Jinkies » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen/Jinkies

Currently swapping:

Once You Pop Halloween - SOD  9/27
SewHelpMe
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008 08:42:56 AM »

Way to go, DaisyPrincess!  The blocks look great.  I really like the bright colors.  Can't wait to see the whole thing put together.  How big is it going to be?

Yeeeeaaaa Jinkies!  I'm glad you joined in!

My biggest hurdle is fabric selection...  How do you put so many fabrics together?
Hee hee!  Fabric selection is the hardest thing for me to do, too!  The easiest way to match everything for the patterns you've selected is to buy a bundled set of fat quarters from a collection.  Fat Quarter Shop will have a set of 38 Amy Butler fat quarters in April.  Or check out Hancock's of Paducah's fat quarters.  If fat quarters are too small for your pattern, at least check out the entire collection and buy yardage from that collection. 

Oh, and I would love some tips and tricks - maybe a beginning quilters site?  Things like - do you backstitch the beginning and end of a block?
Have you checked out the quilting forum here on Craftster?  The archives are great for checking out beginner quilting questions.  But, to answer your question about back stitching--No, you don't have to.  I guess you could, but it's not necessary since all of the seams eventually get "enclosed" when you join the blocks together.  Also, when you chain piece, you don't want to have to back stitch each block.

There are lots of quilting books out there, but the All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool or Piecing Tips and Tricks are good ones to check out.

Keep us posted of your progress!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008 10:41:17 AM by SewHelpMe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisyprincess98
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008 08:28:04 PM »

I don't know what size it will be.  Is "normal" a size? Smiley

All 42 pinwheels are finished!

Also, Jinkies, don't be afraid to ask for help!  JoAnns on a weekend might not be the easiest to get help from, but the ladies that run the quilt shops are usually quilters themselves and would love to help a newbie!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008 08:31:42 PM by daisyprincess98 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~April~

Mama to a teen, a princess, a super hero and a noise maker!
Jinkies
Creatalicious!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008 08:00:38 AM »

Daisyprincess - that is GORGEOUS!!!!!

My first quilt will be for my DD who has requested "pink, purple, blue and green... polka dots and some flowers".

I can't wait to start!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen/Jinkies

Currently swapping:

Once You Pop Halloween - SOD  9/27
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...