A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
159 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I've got one lonely dropped stitch!  (Read 1433 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
lymabeans

I do the best imitation of myself.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2007 11:13:52 AM »

So, I've been working on a clapotis for an old lady friend of mine in hopes of finishing it for Christmas.  Well, somehow I managed to drop a stitch a while back, and, since it was tangled up in the ends of where I tied my yarn together, I didn't notice it until waaaaay later. Doh!  Embarrassed

I have no idea how to pick this stitch back up. Suggestions anyone? I was thinking about dropping the stitches on either side of this one and re-doing the all of the way up with a crochet hook... will that work?  Normally I would just pull apart my knitting until I get to my mistake, but I don't think I can for this project because of the way the pattern drops stitches.

So yeah. Help! I'm too far along to scrap this project:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When all else fails, blame it on the Great English Vowel Shift."
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007 11:42:17 AM »

You idea of dropping other stitches might work, but it may be easier to rip back to where the stitch is. You wouldn't have to start over completely, just unravel to the row above where the stitch, then put your needle in (a smaller one works better) and unknit st by stitch back to where the dropped one is and go on from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
redwitch
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007 02:25:50 PM »

Why does dropping stitches in some parts make you unable to frog some of it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007 02:33:36 PM »

Personally, if I were that far into the clapotis, I'd probably tack it down as invisibly as possible so it wouldn't drop any further and continue on.

Either that, or get really mad, rip out the entire thing and start over from the beginning, but I'm an all-or-nothing person like that.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007 04:28:18 PM »

I tacked mine down Cheesy

I wasn't about to try and fix the blasted thing... I'd had enough with that fuzzy yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007 05:51:17 PM »

Why does dropping stitches in some parts make you unable to frog some of it?

What makes the stripes in the pattern is dropping stitches.  Since those stitches are intentionally dropped, you can't really rip out a few rows....

That might sound confusing, but I'm not sure how else to explain it.  Basically, since a stitch has to be intentionally dropped, it's hard to rip out rows because of the missing stitch.  That being said, does anyone know if I would be able to somehow frog back to the accidentally dropped stitch?

I just don't know what to do with this. I've been staring at it all night!  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007 07:05:25 PM »

I know about the stripes in Clapotis from dropping. But at the ladder point (where there is a drop) there is no knot or anything done to create problems later if you rip, yeah?

If I were a beginner and I said I were on row 20 and had dropped a stitch that kept dropping for 6 rows, I could frog back to row 14 or 13, no problem. I would rip back to the stitch before the dropped stitch (before the ladder), then I would keep pulling and the top rung of the ladder would be lifted away, then the next stitch on the other side of the ladder. Same thing every row.

Why does the ladder/missing stitch stop you from ripping? I just don't understand what you've been doing at the dropped stitches that prevents you unravelling rows.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007 08:09:35 PM »

You actually can rip back over a part where you've done drop sts. You loop the yarn over the needle just like a stitch, and knit it again. When you drop above it again, you can't tell the difference. I've don't it many times...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007 11:38:18 AM »

Hurrah! So you're telling me if I just pick up the "bar" and drop it at the appropriate time later on, it should work out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007 12:51:09 PM »

Yepper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...