A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 314,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
211 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plying on a Jensen Tina  (Read 636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

froggyfibers

Ribbit Ribbit!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2007 07:19:50 PM »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help a friend of mine with a problem.
She just recently got a Jensen Tina and has filled all her bobbins with tons of singles. Now she wants to go back and ply her singles. (Spun clockwise, trying to ply counterclockwise) Unfortunately she is not having a lot of success. From her description of the process she is doing all the steps right but apparently she is getting no pull. When she spins clockwise it will pull in the yarn and spins fine, nothing when she goes counterclockwise.
In addition to all this, She said that the whorl comes unscrewed too. I think this may be a set up problem with the type of wheel she has. I should say, I'm sure she put it together well but I seem to remember reading somewhere that this particular wheel (or maybe a different one) had this problem with the whorl and plying until it was adjusted. I just can't find that information. So far I have done several google searches, a knitters review and a spinningfiber livejournal community search and cant find much on the Jensen Tina.
Could some dear craftster out there please assist us! Grin
Thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meowy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007 01:55:49 PM »

Thanks Froggy! Smiley

I'm still having trouble, sorry for the late reply.  I've been swamped with stuff ugh. 

Here's what I do..

I spin clock wise for the singles.
Then I'm trying to spin two singles together, counter clockwise to ply them.

My problem is that if I spin clockwise, the bobbin will take the plies and it goes well.  However if I spin counter clockwise, I can't seem to get the leader (or even the plies without a leader) to go onto the bobbin.  Instead it just seems to spin and spin until the plied stuff starts to twist up on itself there at the orifice opening.

I have explained the problem to several and I keep being told that's impossible, but I can get a photo if maybe that'll help?

My other major problem is that the whorl is coming undone because of how it screws on, when I spin counter-clockwise with the band tight it slowly unscrews the whorl and the flyer pops out of place.

I just don't see how this can be so hard, it's really upsetting!  I just assumed it'd spin counter clockwise, add a bit of twist like the book (and internet sites) said and then I'd sort of release the light tension and bam.. onto the bobbin it goes.

It's not going onto the bobbin.

Where I live I don't know anyone who spins, nor do I know where any classes would be offered in a reasonable distance.  I don't drive and there's no bus system here so I'm relying on books and internet to learn crafty things Smiley

Any tips, suggestions, anything?  I can't spin any more yarn because my bobbins are full.  I'd love to ply this stuff up so I can spin the roving that I've just bought!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowy
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007 08:49:14 AM »

I managed to get some plied!

I think the problem is maybe it is stalling because the bobbin and flyer are moving at the same exact speed.  I don't know how to fix that, I poke around, tighten or loosen the band and for a bit longer I can ply.  Not sure which is fixing it.

Still having whorl troubles, but it's getting less often that it unscrews.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Plastic Bottle Lanterns
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Magic Wands

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...