A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
273 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photographer gloves?  (Read 1215 times)
Tags for this thread: convertable_mittens  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sunnydays914
« on: December 07, 2007 09:59:00 AM »

My fiance is a photog and I think I know what he would appreciate for a Christmas git... gloves! The gloves he has been envying are almost standard hobo gloves but have the pinkie and ring finger fully covered under the flap part.

They should look something like this:

The problem is, I don't want to spend $40+ on a pair of gloves (who would!) and my sewing skills are not that advanced.

Can anyone recommend an easy pattern that I could use and adapt to this style as well as which type of fabric would be best?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007 10:39:32 AM »

In your case I'd buy a cheap pair of fleece gloves (already made) and then buy some matching fleece. Cut the fingertips off, sew simple U shaped pockets out of fleece and handstich them onto the backside of the gloves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
Muria
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007 10:46:37 AM »

There's a pattern very similar to this for knitters on knitty: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTcigar.html

Any chance you're a quick knitter? The only difference is that they don't have the flaps.

Still, AnnaReilly's suggestion is probably the fastest, easiest way to achieve what you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
Cthulu
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007 10:53:12 AM »

If you are looking for a pattern, search for glittens, as that is what those are called.  I used to have fingerless leather gloves that had a waterproof mitten shroud for riding my motorcycle during the winter.  I got them from a motorcycle officer that gets them from a store that makes gear for CHiPs.

Nevertheless, if I were to make some general purpose glittens, I would just pick up a standard glove pattern, cut the fingers off and make a shroud with matching fleece.

Make sure to put a button on the back of the hand so that you the shroud isn't dangling when the fingers are revealed.

http://www.figandplum.com/archives/000253.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clovergrace
The Positive Pessimest

Sometimes when you fall, you fly.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007 04:54:12 PM »

I think it would be cute and kinda trekkie if you did a mitten pattern..make the ring and pinkie finger go in a place together, one for them thumb, then make the part removable for the middle and pointer finger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007 08:04:24 PM »

sewing pattern for gloves
http://sew-ing.com/make/gloves.html

I would reccomend making them out of fleece if you aren't a great sewer that way you dont have to do any heming. You can just make the gloves & snip off the 2 fingers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...