A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
245 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to do these pleats? help  (Read 1943 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
JaneSays13

the todd appreciates hotness regardless of gender

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2007 10:18:02 PM »

ok, i love this skirt, but its so damn expensive! i know how to make the basic skirt but how to i do the pleats? do you think its a seperate piece thats tacked on or something else?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007 06:18:38 AM »

Hmmm...look at the "cheek" on the left side of the back view. See those wrinkles going out horizontally? I think that shows that the back of the skirt has a center panel like the front obviously does. The zipper is set into the center piece, and that piece is shorter than the other two. Then the little pleated/button kick pleat is added at the bottom end of the shortend center piece and set into the other two so it is sewn all the way down the sides of the cute little pleated piece. Edited to add sketch which may or may not help:

I forgot to add a waistband, but you'd just add it on top.

I don't think the pleated part is just sewn on top because a kick pleat is there to make a skirt like this actually useful if you need to move in it, not stand decorously still like a mannequin or totter like a drunken moll. So, if I were you (and if I still wore clothes like this that just cry out for heels and stockings!), I think I'd do one of these things:

1. Actually make a back center panel with the pleat sewn in at the bottom (I think it would fit the design best, and have the pleats anchored on both sides this way) OR

2. Make the back of the skirt in TWO pieces with the zipper sewn in the middle. Then, at the bottom of the seam that the zipper is sewn into to, make a REAL functional but plain kickpleat (really just a split in the seam up at least 5 or 6 inches so you can scissor your legs above your knees some) and cover it up with the lovely one just tacked on top. The problems with this plan is that you won't get the same curvy fit as with the three pieces, and the kick pleat should be tacked down on the sides (but you could do that by hand or something).

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007 06:45:14 AM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
bookgrrl42

cutest little quilt dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007 08:09:52 AM »

I think it's a separate piece that is tacked onto the middle section of the back (make back side in 3 pieces like the front and add pleated panel to the bottom of the middle section).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't even get me started about the cheddar fabric
girlndocs
God knows I'm all about funny little niches

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007 09:31:47 AM »

Those are some cute pleats and I just might have to include them in my next skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://herebirdiebirdie.etsy.com vintage and vintage-inspired aprons, skirts and accessories
JaneSays13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007 11:10:55 AM »

omg graced you rock! that makes so much sense. i'll post pictures when i'm done later!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007 02:19:32 PM »

I hope it helped! I can't wait to see! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Elphelba
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007 04:17:34 PM »

Hmmm...look at the "cheek" on the left side of the back view. See those wrinkles going out horizontally? I think that shows that the back of the skirt has a center panel like the front obviously does. The zipper is set into the center piece, and that piece is shorter than the other two. Then the little pleated/button kick pleat is added at the bottom end of the shortend center piece and set into the other two so it is sewn all the way down the sides of the cute little pleated piece. Edited to add sketch which may or may not help:

I forgot to add a waistband, but you'd just add it on top.

I don't think the pleated part is just sewn on top because a kick pleat is there to make a skirt like this actually useful if you need to move in it, not stand decorously still like a mannequin or totter like a drunken moll. So, if I were you (and if I still wore clothes like this that just cry out for heels and stockings!), I think I'd do one of these things:

1. Actually make a back center panel with the pleat sewn in at the bottom (I think it would fit the design best, and have the pleats anchored on both sides this way) OR

2. Make the back of the skirt in TWO pieces with the zipper sewn in the middle. Then, at the bottom of the seam that the zipper is sewn into to, make a REAL functional but plain kickpleat (really just a split in the seam up at least 5 or 6 inches so you can scissor your legs above your knees some) and cover it up with the lovely one just tacked on top. The problems with this plan is that you won't get the same curvy fit as with the three pieces, and the kick pleat should be tacked down on the sides (but you could do that by hand or something).

Good luck!
i've made a skirt very much like this, and that's exactly how I did it. I would like to add that it might be a good idea to hand tack down the pleats at the top before attaching the pieces because I had a helluva time keeping them straight and tidy without bunching up when i attached them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Elphelba
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007 04:18:49 PM »

In addendum, I'm almost 100% sure that the center panel is really two panels attached to and below the zipper. Splittig one panel would make for one funky looking zipper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
JaneSays13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007 04:53:18 PM »

ok so i finished the first one out of cheap broadcloth earlier, it turned out really well just exactly like you were talking about that the pleats need to be tacked down, i'm like halfway through my twill one and am already in love with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroraskye

i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007 04:59:55 PM »

ok so i finished the first one out of cheap broadcloth earlier, it turned out really well just exactly like you were talking about that the pleats need to be tacked down, i'm like halfway through my twill one and am already in love with it.

Pictures!! I love this skirt, it is so cute. I want to make one too.. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...