A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
226 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's wrong with my frog?!  (Read 638 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

doing it all, doing it badly

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2007 06:57:56 PM »

hokay, so.
i knit myself a knitty Calorimetry, and i followed the suggestion to knit less than 120 stitches, as per the pattern.  my first problem is that the whole thing turned out waaaaay too big--22 inches long, 7 inches wide, even though i only cast on 92 stitches.  my second, and bigger, problem is that when i try to frog the Calorimetry, the yarn will not pull properly.  i have to take my needle and unweave the yarn from the piece.  normally, when frogging, you can just grab the yarn, remove the needle, and pull, right?  if anyone needs a picture, i can try to put one up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.
iridescent
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007 11:07:26 PM »

I'm trying to frog a scarf I made a while ago, and I was only able to find one end. Turns out that was the beginning of the scarf, so I can't just pull it and unravel the whole thing--I have to kinda go in and out some stitches  Undecided Maybe you started frogging from the beginning instead of the end?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caclark4
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007 06:39:11 AM »

What kind of yarn did you use?  That can make a big difference.  Some yarns get mingled as you knit them and do not frog well...usually really fuzzy yarns.  A tip I've heard but haven't had a chance to try: put your project in a bag in the freezer for 2 hours.  Remove and frog until the project warms back up.  Freeze again and repeat. 

One other thing when it comes to the size being off-did you knit a gauge swatch?  That will give you a very good indicator of hw long its going to be and all that.  When you start knitting, double check that your gauge is still going.  I know it can be a pain in the rear but in situations like this, it can be helpful.   Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That which does not kill you makes you funnier-Joseph Fiennes
radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

doing it all, doing it badly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007 09:39:28 AM »

iridescent---don't worry, i checked; my yarn is variegated and the Calorimetry started orange, ended green.
Caclark4---it's not particularly fuzzy yarn.  i used Lion Brand Homespun, which is basically a chunky yarn.  as for the swatch..yeah, i probably should've done one.  at least now i have practical experience as to why.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Crochet Knotted Head Wrap
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...