A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 320,816
Currently Running With Scissors:
213 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poor College Student + Low-Carb Diet= Bad Combo  (Read 3841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2007 09:52:30 PM »

so i'm your average poor college studet, execept this summer my doctor put me on a low-carb diet (i've dropped a ton of weight, and i want to keep lossing) and i eat in the cafe' on a regular basis.  my problem is that there are often times stuff in the cafe' that i can't eat, because there's too many carbs and too much sugar in it.  i don't have access to a stove or oven, and i'm on a super tight budget.  i do have a microwave and a small fridge.  does anyone have suggestions for what i can do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
ica171
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007 11:02:12 PM »

Did your doctor give you a menu?  If you have that, try and take some suggestions from it, maybe modify.  It's been a long time since I've done anything vaguely low-carb, so I'm kind of guessing here, but you could do salads, maybe soup in the microwave, or those lettuce leaf wrap things.  Could you use a George Foreman grill?  Get one of the little personal ones to cook meat on?  I use mine seriously every day. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

montyfull
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007 09:17:20 AM »

Yeah! A george forman grill will save your butt!  That and a toaster oven. I mean, seriously, even if you don't get the grill, get the toaster oven. Its an oven, just tiny. Great for one person sized food. You can bake in it like a regular oven, even broil a steak up!

There is carb free pasta out there, though I don't know how you could boil it without a stove. Hm. has anyone ever tried putting a pot on the george forman grill? I wonder if it'll boil water. I know its slanted and all... MacGuyver (sp?) where are you!? Wink

You could add some chicken to a salad. They sell canned, cooked, white meat chicken. I know it sounds gross, but it isn't!

Marinades are also great... well, the ones that don't have carbs. I believe wishbone or kraft makes their italian dressing with 0 carbs, or a version of it. Marinate some chicken breast in that and stick it in the toaster oven to bake!

There is a lot you could do. Smiley I would recommend you find something to cook meat outside of a microwave, though. Meat just comes out spongy and eeew from a microwave.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Everything in moderation...even moderation. ~

my wists: http://www.wists.com/montyfull
I'm open for personal swaps!!
ica171
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007 10:40:33 AM »

There is carb free pasta out there, though I don't know how you could boil it without a stove. Hm. has anyone ever tried putting a pot on the george forman grill? I wonder if it'll boil water. I know its slanted and all... MacGuyver (sp?) where are you!? Wink

I've cooked pasta in the microwave before.  Heat the water up in a glass bowl--you can use plastic, but the cheap, thin plastics might start leaking eventually.  If you want, put a skewer in it so it doesn't explode, but I've never had trouble with that.  Once the water is super hot and probably boiling, add your pasta and return it to the microwave for a few minutes.  This is kind of just a "do it and see" step, but I'm guessing 4 or 5 minutes to start.  It takes eight minutes on the stove.  Or you could get one of those pasta cooker tubes they sell on TV where you add boiling water to pasta in a plastic tube, let it sit for eight minutes, then drain it.  If you don't feel comfortable using the microwave to boil water you can use an electric kettle. 

I forgot one other thing--spaghetti squash!  I always did mine in the microwave, just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, cover it with plastic wrap and cook til soft.  (I can't remember the cooking time now, of course Smiley)  You can serve it with any sauce you'd put on pasta.  Alfredo might be good, I'm pretty sure that's low carb if you make it and it's only three ingredients--cream, Parmesan, and butter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007 10:51:11 AM »

another great thing is a folding griddle, you can cook burgers, etc. on it...do they make low-carb bread or pancake mix? cause, pancakes and french toast are the bestest breakfasts ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
BeltwaySpinner

Living the Dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007 11:10:29 AM »

I feel for you girl.  You think it is tough being low carb? Try being vegan.

I assume you are in a dorm, and that limits your cooking options drastically.  Also, you probably don't have a lot of extra money for food.
Tuna is a life saver.  Get the kind packed in water, not oil.  Instead of mixing with mayo, stir in spicy mustard or mix with low carb salad dressing (Vinaigrettes are especially tasty).  Keep lots of deli turkey slices on hand, cheese sticks, and carrot sticks as well.  Munch on them for snacks.

Probably the best thing you could do is talk to your college's dietician or school nutritionist.  If your school has a cafeteria, trust me - they have a nutritionist on staff.  Explain your doctor's orders to them, and if you are on the school's meal plan, maybe they can work something out for you.  You are under a physician's orders, this isn't just a whim.  If you were diabetic or a celiac, I am confident they would accommodate your dietary requirements, this is not that different.

Good luck and don't give up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Disdain
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007 12:00:13 PM »

Get yourself one of those single electric burners.  They have them on sale right now for the holidays.  I think I saw one for $7 in this weekends ads.

Then get yourself a skillet and take your favorite meat and veggies and make stir fry without the rice (unless you can find some low-carb rice).  You can vary your meals by changing your meats and your veggies.  Season the stir fry with ginger, curry and chili powder, spring for some sesame oil. Quick, easy, delicious and pretty much carb free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo_roses
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007 06:09:23 PM »

Make sure you read the rules for what you are allowed to have in your dorm (preparation-wise) before you go out and buy something, however. I know in my dorm, we aren't allowed to have a griddle, George Foreman type grill, or a toaster/ toaster-oven. Technically we aren't allowed to have coffeepots either, but that's one thing that they let slide. My fridge is usually stocked with carrot sticks, grapes, and string cheese for snacks. Celery would be a good thing to get too, and you can eat it with a little bit of peanut butter, depending on how low-carb you actually are. Canned tuna is good, because it's shelf-stable, and you can just eat it right out of the can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007 06:38:07 PM »

Check with housing, too.  There may be another dorm that has a kitchen, or suites with kitchenettes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007 10:52:49 PM »

Make sure you read the rules for what you are allowed to have in your dorm (preparation-wise) before you go out and buy something, however. I know in my dorm, we aren't allowed to have a griddle, George Foreman type grill, or a toaster/ toaster-oven. Technically we aren't allowed to have coffeepots either, but that's one thing that they let slide. My fridge is usually stocked with carrot sticks, grapes, and string cheese for snacks. Celery would be a good thing to get too, and you can eat it with a little bit of peanut butter, depending on how low-carb you actually are. Canned tuna is good, because it's shelf-stable, and you can just eat it right out of the can.
i know we can have anything that doesn't have an open coil.  we can have toster ovens, but not tosters.  figure that one out.

thanks guys.  i'll look into some of the suggestions. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: The Red, White, and Blue
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...