A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 321,510
Currently Running With Scissors:
242 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 11/28/07 - Design Changes / New Ad Sizes  (Read 19898 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

leah
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2007 10:08:14 AM »

Hello Craftster Readers!

You have probably noticed that the design of the site has changed pretty significantly. I know that generally speaking some people LOVE change and some people HATE change and believe me I can understand both points of view! Regarding the explanation of these design changes, I figured I'd try to anticipate some questions you might have about them:

1. Holy giant ads batman! Are the changes all about accommodating new ad sizes?!

I'm not gonna lie. The design changes are pretty much 90% about accommodating new banner ads sizes.

2. But, they're just sooooo big? Do they have to be so big?

The new ad sizes you will see are the industry standards for the most popular banner sizes. Craftster's expensive to run and the bigger it gets the more expensive it gets. I don't like ads either but it's part of the equation for paying for things around here and being able to afford more people and resources to make this place better and better!

3. What kinds of expenses does Craftster have?

Lots of moolah goes towards the server costs. And I have to make a lil something too since I work on Craftster an average of 14 hours a day. (No joke sadly.) And in September I hired the lovely and talented sweets4ever to work for Craftster full-time! She is a godsend and having her help makes me very excited about the possibility being able to hire more great help some day. I'm especially looking forward to being able to eventually hire some programming help. (And since I don't get to say this enough, thank you to the team of volunteer moderators who help out so much around here!)

4. Will we still only see craft-related ads?

I plan to work my butt of as always on selling ads to craft-related companies and my plan is that this be the majority of what ads are shown. But some other ads will also be thrown into the mix. For example, to start out I'll be showing some ads from an ad network called "Martha's Circle" (yep, that Martha).

4/29/08 - Ads cannot be turned off anymore. It's just not financially workable. Sorry about this!
5. Can I turn the ads off if I really hate them?

If you are (or become) a Friend of Craftster you can go to your Profile and turn the ads off. I'd just ask that you give 'em a chance before doing this because you might miss out on some really cool craft-related ads!

Also, please know that you can send me a message if you ever see an ad that you think is to blinky or bothersome and I'll try to take care of it!

Hope this helped answer some questions you may have! Feel free to respond here with more comments and questions!

-- Leah
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008 12:18:01 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007 10:33:06 AM »

I, for one, love the new layout. Grin

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
mr.sweets4ever

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007 10:38:40 AM »

Looks good!  I like the layout Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hello there!  I'm the signature, thanks for looking.
leah
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007 10:39:44 AM »

Thank you mr.sweets. Very unbiased since it helps keep your wife employed! Cheesy ha ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007 10:40:25 AM »

Cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007 10:41:50 AM »

I love the alphabetized effect. So much easier to find things! I know that's one thing that really confused some people I"d try to send here.
Great job Leah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mr.sweets4ever

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007 10:42:28 AM »

Thank you mr.sweets. Very unbiased since it helps keep your wife employed! Cheesy ha ha!

Perhaps that does partially push me in one direction or another Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hello there!  I'm the signature, thanks for looking.
puppybreath

everything we do, is just everything we've done

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007 10:56:49 AM »

I love the alphabetized effect. So much easier to find things! I know that's one thing that really confused some people I"d try to send here.
Great job Leah!

I agree. I've tried to introduce my grandma to this site and she had trouble figuring out the different forums. This is more clear. I'll try again someday  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007 10:58:50 AM »

It looks great. And I like the on off option, maybe this will encourage more people to "make friends" with craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
lelvsdgs
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007 11:01:08 AM »

These are reasonable changes. It's expensive to run a free site and I for one am willing to support Craftster sponsors.
The  heart of Craftster has not changed and that is what is important to me. Thanks for the hard work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Magic Wands
Halloween Houses (Haunted, of course!)
Meatless Monday: Golden Apple Cornbread

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...