A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,615
Currently Running With Scissors:
155 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cutting felt  (Read 533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
nosnin
wayward victorian

Glitter and gloom...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2008 06:29:58 PM »

I looked everywhere and I couldn't find anything to help me out. I love to work with felt. I make A LOT of felt mascots, little ones. Does anyone know that best way to cut little tiny pieces and shapes out of the felt without wanting to throw it across the room?!? Scissors don't cut it (pun intended).
i.e. a 4 inch bear with tiny eyes or buttons, or a flower
I can't cut anything that little without wanting to throw in a fire. Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AGFH
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008 09:23:49 PM »

A good sharp rotary cutter should do the trick. Just make sure you use a mat under it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
ollieorange
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008 07:13:22 PM »

I use REALLY sharp shears to cut my felt details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008 08:09:29 PM »

yup- you need better scissors Smiley

If you are using Crap uh, Craft scissors, it's time to get some good ones! Melita are very good but still affordable, personally I'm a nut & have splurged on Henkles not once but 3 times. Fiskars are fair, thier springy save-your-hands-from-getting-tired ones are quite nice. I like using little scissors for cutting little things, I have an all purpose 4" pair and 2 pair of embroidery scissors (the little tiny ones). I never use an exacto on fabric or paper because these scissors are so sharp and so precise I don't feel the need. My exactos get used on cardboard & foam.

Good scissors hold a sharp edge longer and are worth getting sharpened. Good sharpenable scissors have a screw or bolt at the junction which allows for adjustment when being sharpened, cheap craft scissors don't have this & can only be sharpened once, maybe twice. I could shave my legs with my embroidery scissors, they are that sharp!

Wal-mart & equivalents don't have any good scissors, go to a real fabric store or the knife place in the mall.That chain of knife stores have very good scissors but they aren't always up front on display, go ahead & ask:)

The last time I went in to get all my scissors sharpened I freaked out the other customers, some guys. I pulled my huge Henkles out of my bag for sharpening along with 3 other pairs & laughing said "I'm armed & dangerous!". They all looked at me in true embarrassment because they were drooling over the silly non-functional swords.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ollieorange
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008 02:11:45 PM »

I got my henckles for only $12 (half price at Hancock)!!! And they've been great for over 5 years. Good scissors can be sharpened too.  Fiskar's are great too. They'll replace them if they break too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008 03:39:06 PM »

My mom still uses the pair of Henkles she bought in college- 40 years ago!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza
@Home This Weekend: Dish Soap Apron
Tute Tuesday: Daisy Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...