A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,897
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Final Fantasy Needlepoint  (Read 4530 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
OneChordWonder
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007 11:34:59 PM »

That's awesome ^^ I looked all three stitches up as soon as you posted their names the first time hehe.. I've never really done mosaic stitch myself, but I believe I'd agree that it looks and covers better (though good cross stitchers can make those cover just as well)
I really adore your embroideries. My boyfriend has a shirt made of aida (I found out, very amusing) and I might just have to steal it and embroider pixel art on it... Though on aida, I believe cross stitch may cover better than mosaic if I don't wish to use really thick floss.
What fabric are you working on?

It's 14 count plastic canvas.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grammarofskin
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007 01:35:38 PM »

precious! little mages...awww

and is that a moogle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[taylor]
ahpets00
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007 01:51:18 PM »

Gorgeous, amazing, thank you sooooo much for sharing!!!  I'm very inspired.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kujikiri
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007 07:19:01 PM »

How did you join the diagonal pixels?  I tried that on a test piece of 7 count canvas, and there was a bit of a gap between them. 

I'm also assuming that with mosaic stitch, you're not concerned about the back of the model; the rear stitches look much different than the front.

Way to go, though.  I love the whole sprite thing.  And the moogle background looked almost like it was another fabric surrounding it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OneChordWonder
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007 08:33:39 PM »

How did you join the diagonal pixels?  I tried that on a test piece of 7 count canvas, and there was a bit of a gap between them. 

I'm also assuming that with mosaic stitch, you're not concerned about the back of the model; the rear stitches look much different than the front.

Way to go, though.  I love the whole sprite thing.  And the moogle background looked almost like it was another fabric surrounding it.

I'm not sure what you mean - I'm guessing you're just not reusing the same holes?   Here's a diagram of multiple mosaic stitches:

http://www.threadneedlestreet.com/images/Stitches/mosaic8.JPG

And yes, since I just frame them, I'm not concerned about the back.   It'd probably be a good idea to use a different stitch for loose items like bookmarks and such.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 06:48:54 PM by kategirl - Reason: Please do not hotlink to an image that you do not own » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kujikiri
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007 09:29:09 PM »

No, this is what I meant:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/kujikiri/mosaic8.jpg

When showing a rounded/slanted edge, 8-bit images will often have a single pixel fixated diagonally.  When you stitch them, especially if you do one colour at a time, there is a bit of a gap.  At least, there was in mine.  There didn't seem to be any gap with yours, though.

I think, however, that when you stitch the remaining colours and fill it in, it closes it a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pigi
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007 02:37:10 PM »

Beautiful work here, your sprites are awesome  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
benjibot
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008 09:16:14 PM »

Well, that's just real damned elegant! So far I only know how to cross stitch, but I'm seriously going to have to add this plastic canvas stuff to my list of things to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy
feelix

I love Crazy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008 08:57:58 PM »

I'm sorry I wasn't on craftster when this was posted. My Husband would love these for his office. Can you point me in the right direction? How do I get started?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm back from a long break. WOOT!
OneChordWonder
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008 03:26:46 PM »

I'm sorry I wasn't on craftster when this was posted. My Husband would love these for his office. Can you point me in the right direction? How do I get started?

It's easy.     First, I'd just go down to a bookstore and get an encyclopedia of needlepoint stitches (I work at a Half Price Books and we get them in all the time).      Then find a sprite online of whichever character you want to translate (look for "The Shyguy Kingdom" on google - that's probably the best video game sprite archive there is).     Then you can either open it up in photoshop or paintshop pro or run it through pcstitch (you can download it for free) to get the grid. 

I personally just prefer using a mosaic stitch for the character + filling stitch for the background, but you can use a tent or cross stitch as well.

*If you get the sprite from The Shyguy Kingdom, you'll have to do some cutting since you'll wind up downloading an entire sheet of sprites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
November 20, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...