A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,631
Currently Running With Scissors:
258 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's PINK...Can I give it to a baby BOY?  (Read 20056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

pinkanddinky
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust

Sociologist with scissors

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2007 02:10:12 PM »

I recently made this for my shop the swap shop thinking if I didn't sell it I would give it to some aquaintances/budding friends that were pregnant at the time. Now they've had their baby and it is a boy. I was planning to get some nice baby bath products like Burt's Bees and put with to make a cute little bathtime gift but when I told my mom about it she didn't think I should give it to them because it is pink. I know pink is supposed to be for girls but I am WAY over that and don't believe in making kids fit society's gender expectations, and nurturing boys and girls differently and all that. So now I have a dilema because I have this really cute bath mit I wanted to give them (and I don't know anyone else expecting that I could give it to, BTW) but my mom has made me second guess the idea. For those of you who have taken time to read this novella, I would really appreciate your opinions!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GatsbyGirl
Not a Knitter

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007 02:14:21 PM »

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because I think it's ridiculous that there are "girl" colors and "boy" colors. Nobody would freak out if the bear was blue and you gave it to a girl, so why should the reverse be true?

A couple of years ago I embroidered a onesie for a friend's baby boy with a poodle on it. My husband (who wears pink frequently and well) told me it was "too girlie," even though I did it in shades of purple and they have a poodle. I ended up not giving it to the baby and when I asked the mom later on she agreed that a poodle wasn't masculine enough.

WTF?

Long story short, I say go ahead and use it, but be prepared for the blowback.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Twitter | Facebook | Wists
Jellybean313

Menchi says Moo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007 02:18:02 PM »

My vote is Yes
who cares if they have a boy, pink is okay (and it's a bath mit, it's not like you are giving the kid a pink dress and bonnet.)  I am sure it will be appriciated, but you could find some 'boy' accessories for it, like a blue rubber ducky or boy shampoo (like bob the builder or something) if you think that will make it less girly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007 02:19:16 PM »

i say yes, my brother was raised around three girls and often had pink towels and bath accesories, he even had a ken doll
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrAzYhOuSe
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007 02:36:35 PM »

My son had pink receiving or(barf) blankies...I don't think it scarred him for life. I say put it with other "boy" stuff. It's a bath accessory, it's not like he will be toting it around, and so what if he did. My son carried my cabbage patch around till he was almost 4. BTW it's so adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caclark4
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007 02:43:19 PM »

Go for it.  The most important thing is not the color-its the thought, care, and time you put behind it.  Even if the parents do prescribe to old-school gender roles, be passive aggressive and go for it anyway...lol.  My niece's father is that way and as a result, she is getting a dump truck for Christmas!  Same man was in shock last Christmas when I said that I built a desk using a drill and screwdriver all by myself-that's right! No man!  Tee hee hee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That which does not kill you makes you funnier-Joseph Fiennes
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007 03:06:08 PM »

I say go for it.  It does have what appears to be a blue ribbon embroidered around it's neck, giving it some "boy" colors.  Besides, since it's for the bath, it's unlikely it'll retain those colors for long anyway.

I agree with Jellybean313, that some stereotypical boy accessories with it will make it more acceptable, if they are hardcore gender specific.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
!b
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007 03:15:27 PM »

GO FOR IT!
The idea of pink being for girls makes me want to scream. Even as an adult I run across way too many women's specific things that are really just the same thing for men but PINK. I could go on for days about how wrong I think that is!

That is way too cute not to give away anyhow.

If you don't you can always pass it to me. I take lots of baths too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007 03:32:55 PM »

It's cute!

I read somewhere that not so very long ago, red was for men and therefore pink was for boys, while blue was for women/girls in similar shade differentiation.  So there!

Edited to add: found a reference: http://www.colormatters.com/colors_pink.html 4th paragraph!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007 03:39:07 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
GirlyGirlTomBoy
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007 04:45:45 PM »

I read somewhere that not so very long ago, red was for men and therefore pink was for boys, while blue was for women/girls in similar shade differentiation.

I totally agree.   Pink/red for men is completely acceptable.  It's just a color.   

The mitt is cute and doesn't have flowers and super girlie stuff on it, which would make it for a girl only. (that is how my brothers describe things)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!
Meatless Monday: Black Bean, Butternut and Spinach Skillet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...