A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 313,338
Currently Running With Scissors:
313 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Building Safe Wooden Toys  (Read 648 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kidschlocko
« on: November 26, 2007 07:50:49 AM »

With the lead scare going around I've been thinking of making a few wooden toys for my daughter.  But I was wondering about the craft paint that is available, such Americana and Apple Barrel, can anyone point me to a book or a site which includes tutorials on making safe toys?

Besides paint I need info on primer and gloss overcoating as to whether or not they are safe or should I just stick to craft paints and nothing else?  Also what about wood glue from Elmers?  Is that safe as well?

I apologize for number of questions I have, but this is for my 4-yr old daughter and I just want to make sure everything is safe for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megmoira
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007 02:35:05 PM »

I don't know about paints, and safety, and would hate to steer you the wrong way on that.

However, food dyes will stain untreated wood. (At least, kool-aid did, so I'd imagine food colorings and easter egg dyes would too).  As far as sealing the wood goes, try giving it a good polish with bees wax or food-grade mineral OIL. (Its what you're supposed to rub down wooden cutting boards and butcher blocks with, because vegetable oil goes rancid (and STINKY). You can probably get it at a drugstore or hardware store.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Assisted by my kitty, Isabella the Destroyer.~*~
kidschlocko
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007 08:24:47 AM »

Thank you for the reply.  I never used Kool-Aid before.  When dying it are the colors as bright as it would be if I used paint versus natural dyes?

I did email Plaid who make Apple Barrel paints and was told by them that I could use any paint that uses the AP symbol.  I just want to make sure I use safe materials when I paint a wooden toy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happycrafter23
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007 08:34:23 PM »

What are you thinking of making? Is it something that you need to paint, or can you leave it a natural wood finish? I have heard that Kool-aid can be used to stain but it will give it more of a color-washed look not a strong color comparable to paint. You can use milk paint and as far as finish goes, you can purchase beeswax-based finishes for wood toys. Or make one with beeswax and linseed oil or beeswax and jojoba oil. I personally don't like to use mineral oil because it's a petroleum product just like plastic is. Kudos to you for making wood toys for your kidlet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gwydion
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007 12:13:20 AM »

Milk paint is extremely safe and dries to a very durable finish that usually does not need additional sealing.  It also has a rather charming "vintage" look, and the colors can be quite deep and attractive.

http://www.milkpaint.com

Or you can make your own:  http://www.realmilkpaint.com/recipe_print.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Bamboo Project Bag
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Meatless Monday: Spicy Tempeh Salad on Toast

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...