A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 315,057
Currently Running With Scissors:
182 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you work with 'irregular' yarns?  (Read 2554 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

cabanird
Her Majesty...

View Profile WWW
« on: December 28, 2004 08:10:23 PM »

hey there....

all these sales! i bought some bamboo hooks! and some funky yarn.

but, i'm afraid the yarn is a little too funky for me. it's all bumpy and then really thin in some spots... i'm finding it difficult to work with, even i'm using a large hook for it too....

i'm having trouble discerning where each chain is, where the top loop is in the single crochet, etc.... i just stopped cuz i'm so frustrated. Tongue

any tips, hints, suggestions, comments?

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.geocities.com/cabanird<br />Henna Rocks! Smiley
rainbowmeow
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004 09:12:26 PM »

I'm having the same problem.  I have some black yarn thats all bumpy, then thin in other spots and I can't make anything out of it since I can't tell what part is which.  I did manage to do a scarf by using another yarn along with it.  I used regular yarn that doesn't have anything weird about it and crocheted with the 2 strands together.  I think that if you used a similar, but visibly different color, it would look good, and it would be easy to tell where to put your hook because the other yarn would look normal.  I hope that works, since that's what I did.  I can't really think of any other way to use the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dcnc91
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004 11:17:29 PM »

The thing that I've noticed with working with the eyelash yarn and the boa yarn is that it just takes time and patience.  What I do is feel for the next loop with the tips of my index finger and thumb.  Also the best advice I got at a store was to use the largest hook that you can, a big plastic 10mm crochet hook is what I've been using.
Hope that helps.
Modified to add:
With the eyelash yarn you have to use big crochet loops and leave it very loose, that way you'll be able to find the loops easier and it ends up very fluffy. And it takes LOTS of patience.
Wish I had taken pictures of the scarves I made before giving them as Christmas presents.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004 08:49:54 PM by dcnc91 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

No matter how high a bird flies, you can always break a window with a hammer.
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004 03:14:40 AM »

I find it easy to FEEL my way to the next stitch.

With the eyelash yarn, double up the yarn with another yarn you are familiar with.  It won't be so hard to use that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flamethrower

Breath deeply/Exhale/Let go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004 07:34:57 AM »

I'm with Amie.  You might also try working under some really bright light and if all else fails and its not a stitch pattern you are working with, then crochet between the stitches instead of in them.  It works a lot easier with those funky yarns.

~DAWN
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Mary Oliver "wild geese"

http://wildyarn.blogspot.com
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004 11:12:10 AM »

yanno what...with those novelty yarns, i suggest learning to knit. its easier.lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
princesakati
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004 12:48:14 PM »

OK, I have anovelty yarn question too.  I have tried crocheting with eyelash or funfur yarn, but it's just not worth it, the yarn gets so twisty that you can't even see the "eyelashes" so you don't even get the whole fuzzy look.  so it's pointless to use it.  has anyone come up with a brilliant solution to this, or should I just learn to knit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
woolgathered
Sp-diddly-inner

woolgathered.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004 12:55:38 PM »

I don't know about crochet, but when knitting with eyelash yarn I have to hold it with another yarn (either the same or different). It makes it muuuch easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scream-a-little
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004 01:01:55 PM »

i was just given 2 skeins of that ribbon yarn... i'm having a hell of a time knitting with it so i can't even imagine crocheting something with it.. i don't know if i would like the look of it with another yarn though.. hmm something to think on...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
itscribe
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004 01:30:59 PM »

I've made a couple of things with the eyelash using another yarn with it. It comes out thicker on the back side (items were in the round so no turning). The store had a sample using white yarn and red eyelash - YUCKY!!!!! It works up nice if the yarn color closely matches the eyelash.

Been wondering about the verigated tho' - whether it would look like the white and red or more a mixture. Even if the main yarn was verigated in like colors.

Have heard where some people use two threads of eyelash to get a fluffier look and perhaps better hide the other yarn.

One small warning, don't forget that if you use eyelash with another yarn, you are adding a little weight to the yarn and those rows/pieces may be a little thicker/wider than the pattern states if using only yarn or eyelash but not together.

scribe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Designated Cutting Boards
Tute Tuesday: Altered Journal Page
Magic and Luck

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...