A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,822
Currently Running With Scissors:
259 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Creative ideas for re-gifting an ugly doll *My Brothers Response on pg 9*  (Read 17243 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Cortney!
« on: November 20, 2007 07:35:48 PM »

About 10 years ago around Christmas time my brother and I found the ugliest doll we had ever seen at a toy store at the mall. We laughed about it and continued our shopping. A few days later I was surprised when I received that same ugly doll as a gag gift from my brother. Since then we've been passing it back and forth every year in new and creative ways. I've sent it to him from a different address, and made a shirt for him (which I found in the trash earlier this year Angry )

I even made a photo album of the doll with all the animals I used to work with at the zoo school I attended.
Last year he really blew me away, though. He bought me the whole family! I now own 16 of the ugliest dolls I have ever seen and have no idea how to re-gift them this year.
I'd really appreciate any ideas you might have. I have a sewing machine and a 1-inch button press at my disposal. I also have the t-shirt I made him a few years back (yes, I rescued it from the trash).

-Update-
Sorry to keep everyone waiting for so long. My friend Victoria and I decided the multi-headed monster would be fun to make, so we got to work on it a few weeks ago. After a full day of crafting we were nowhere near being done with the beast, so Victoria kindly took on the rest of the project (she is much better at sewing than I am). We just met up yesterday and I got to see the final results:

This six-headed beast is about 2 1/2 feet long and made from fleece and felt. The dolls' bodies are still attached to the heads - they were just shoved into the body. And If you look closely at the legs you may find one thats a little phallic.
My fiance and I are currently working on painting a wooden box to put it in. It's going to be in the style of an early freak show carnival poster. I'll post pictures of that as soon as we're done.
As for the other dolls, you guys gave me so many great ideas that I wanted to save some dolls for his birthday in April.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007 12:30:41 PM by Cortney! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

more intensity!
sugar-magnolia
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007 07:37:48 PM »

Wow, that is indeed an atrocious doll.  Hmmmm... You could make them into trolls, maybe... or Mandrakes, if you're into Harry Potter, they're described as being really ugly babies.  Just some ideas  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A wist at last!  www.wists.com/sugar-magnolia

www.thehungersite.com 

www.freerice.com   <-- this is a really fun vocabulary game that gives rice to the hungry for every question you answer correctly
Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007 07:46:53 PM »

you could make them little elf costumes and hide them all over the house on Christmas Morning. Attack of the ugly elves! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
hippieguts123
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007 07:55:51 PM »

one huge doll body and sixteen ugly heads creeping up on him.. definitely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zoomba rhumba
cassiemarie
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007 08:11:05 PM »

Hahaha, my sister and I had those dolls!
eeek!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Syringe_Tide
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007 08:11:39 PM »

Melt them all together naked and give them back to him. LOL, then he'll really know what ugly is. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Red Paint

I think it's broken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007 08:17:24 PM »

Wow, that's um, ugly.    Cheesy

(Love the pics of the ugly doll with the animals!)

But SIXTEEN of them?  Holy hell!  I think your only option is to become a horror film director.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007 08:37:36 PM »

OMG!! My best friend in high school had that doll! We called him the ugly baby and he went with us on a road trip! How crazy! I think I even have a pic somewhere...

As for the regift...I like the idea of hiding them all over. Put them in places he would randomly come across them...like in the shower, in his car (if he has one) in the fridge when he goes to get his milk for cereal, etc. so he just keeps finding them all day. Then end with one in his bed at night. That would kind of creep me out...especially if you have the time to dress them all alike, so it would be like the same ugly doll was following him around or something...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007 03:34:47 AM »

Yes - that is one (oops no, 16) UGLY doll.  It looks like the monkey (?) also thinks so (I am soooo not with her!)

I am really posting to say I am amazed at the creativity of this group.  I love the elf/hiding idea.  I also really love the troll dolls idea since that is kindof what they look like, but the standup hair would be difficult since it is all so short.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007 04:03:13 AM »

How funny!
I don't really have a good idea of my own, but I liked all the proposals so far...
Definitely something ghoulish...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...