A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 314,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
295 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first quilt! ok so it's a mini quilt... but it's a quilt nonetheless!  (Read 2273 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

lindseycore

cat lady till the day i die.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 19, 2007 09:40:05 PM »

ok so i just wanted to try out some quilting techniques and see if i could actually do it.  i had a great fat eighth bundle from joann and thought i should give it a go.  i don't have the patience for doing anything by hand so i did this all on my machine.  the finished product is just over 15" x 15".  not sure what i'll do with it now, it might become a cat bed, although they never lay on the things you WANT them to lay on!  lol.  anyway... i did this in just about two hours, not bad i'd say.

here is the front.  sorry it's so dark, it's the best pic i could get.  Undecided

here is the back.  much better pic.  i just used black because it's all i had handy.  had this been a real quilt i probably would have used red.

a close up of some of the fabrics.  again, sorry it's dark.

i just have one question.  is there a way to keep the fabric from pulling like that on the back?  like how you can tell i went in different directions because the fabric is slightly wrinkled in that direction.  or will this go away after it is washed/used?

any comments/feedback are very welcome!  thanks for looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what i have made: flickr
what i am making: ravelry
what i want: wist

i love personal swaps, especially for handspun yarn
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007 09:47:59 PM »

Haha I know what you mean about cats not sitting/laying where you want them to...so annoying! Ive been wanting to try out quilting too, and youve inspired me to try and make something similar, but maybe something I could fit onto the windowsill my kitty likes to sit on  Smiley I probably wont get it dont until after Christmas though unless I get really prouctive sometime soon,  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007 07:12:54 AM »

If your cat rejects the quilt, you could use it as a placemat or table topper.  My coffee table is square, so a lot of my small square quilts wind up there (I rotate them seasonally or when I get bored).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
coryjo
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007 08:44:26 AM »

The back pulling the different directions could be from the way you basted and then quilted.  Did you quilt from the center out?  Advice I have recieved in the past is to not have more than 3 inches without quilting because that can cause bunching/filler to move and other problems.  Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimbledawn
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007 09:39:46 AM »

If you aren't using a walking foot, using one will help with feeding the fabric evenly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindseycore

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007 01:13:44 PM »

Haha I know what you mean about cats not sitting/laying where you want them to...so annoying! Ive been wanting to try out quilting too, and youve inspired me to try and make something similar, but maybe something I could fit onto the windowsill my kitty likes to sit on  Smiley I probably wont get it dont until after Christmas though unless I get really prouctive sometime soon,  Cheesy

aww i'm glad i inspired someone!  honestly it only took me a couple hours.  i don't think i would have had the patience for it without my new rotary cutter and mat though.  that made it soo much easier.  so if you don't have one i highly recommend investing in one.  you can get good deals on them when joann has their big sales.  anyway, when you try, make sure you post pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindseycore

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007 01:14:53 PM »

If you aren't using a walking foot, using one will help with feeding the fabric evenly.

ok, yeah, i didn't because it was pretty thin batting and i was being lazy and just doing everything with my normal foot.  i should probably try that next time!  thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leah_Danielle
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007 06:48:57 AM »

I really like the fabric combination on this one!! And so what if it's mini, you finished a quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do what you love. Fuck everything else. -Little Miss Sunshine

We accept the love we think we deserve -The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Mondrian Inspired Tri-Shudder Card
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Fancy Cape
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Tea Wallet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...