A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 314,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
141 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soupily challenged  (Read 1392 times)
Tags for this thread: soup  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

montyfull
« on: November 18, 2007 05:43:45 PM »

So I'm soupily challenged. I only like chicken noodle! I have been trying to find different kinds of soup to try, but so far I haven't come up with much to work with. I like warm, salty or savory soups... ya know, something that'll warm you to the core during a snowstorm. I'm allergic to cow's milk, so heavy creamy/cheesy soups are questionable.  I can substitute milk with soy milk, and can easily tolerate peccorino (sheep's milk cheese) or goat's milk cheese. So there *are* options.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd be in your debt! My devotion to chicken noodle will remain forever strong, but I've gotta spread my soupy wings!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Everything in moderation...even moderation. ~

my wists: http://www.wists.com/montyfull
I'm open for personal swaps!!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007 05:20:47 AM »

That's a mighty wide subject. There are tons of soup recipes out there. If you like chicken soup, maybe start with that basic recipe you like and add or substitute things to it to get out of your comfort zone.

Add a can of diced tomatoes; different herb/spice mixtures; sub sausage for the chicken, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keeperrox
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007 05:30:01 AM »

Here's my version of ham and bean soup.  It's modified (mostly the cooking method) from the recipe off the HamBeen's bag:

Ingredients 
2 large smoked ham hocks
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 bag 15 bean soup dried beans
1 tsp cayenne pepper
juice of 1 lemon
water to cover

Directions
Score ham hocks and place in bottom of large crock pot.

Put onion, garlic, tomatoes, beans, cayenne, and lemon on top of ham hocks.

Cover with water.

Set crockpot to HIGH for longest setting (mine is 6 hours).

Once high cycle is finished, set to LOW for longest setting (mine is 10 hours).

When finished with low cycle, remove ham hocks and check for bones that have fallen off in the soup. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Shred meat and stir back into soup.

Tip: Start before you go to bed with the crock pot set to "high" and turn to "low" before you leave for work the next morning. I serve it with garlic crostini, topped with parmesan or fresh mozzarella and a salad.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007 05:31:04 AM by keeperrox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
montyfull
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007 07:13:52 AM »

Shocked Thanks!! I'm going to try this recipe next week! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Everything in moderation...even moderation. ~

my wists: http://www.wists.com/montyfull
I'm open for personal swaps!!
keeperrox
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007 07:29:06 AM »

Oh! And if there is a seasoning packet in the bag of beans, THROW.IT.OUT!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
playinghooky
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007 10:46:35 AM »

This is a soup that I just love and goes over really well when I make it for the holidays.  I just put it up on my blog a few days ago.  It's very simple, not too many ingredients or steps, and can easily be made vegan. Hope you like it.

Carrot Leek Soup with Fresh Thyme

2 C. chopped leeks (about 1 med. leek)
4 C. chopped carrots (about 7 med. carrots)
2 C. chopped, peeled yams (about 1 large yam)
1 celery stalk, chopped
5 C. water
2 heaping Tbs. minced fresh thyme leaves (strip the leaves off the stem, then mince them)
salt and black pepper

Boil water in kettle (saves you about 5 minutes of waiting for the soup to come to temperature later).
Saut leeks and carrots about 10 minutes, until they are both a bit caramelized and the leeks are reduced in size.
Add the hot water, yams, celery, salt and pepper, and simmer about 20 minutes. About halfway through, add half of the thyme. When the carrots and yams are soft, turn off the heat and add the rest of the fresh thyme. Because I dont like transferring burning hot liquids into and out of the blender, I use a stick blender. Very convenient, and no one gets hurt in the process. Just be sure to fully immerse the stick blender, otherwise youll have an orange kitchen. Finish with some freshly ground black pepper. This recipe serves about 4-6 appetizer portions.

You can also check out my food blog at www.figswithbri.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For the love of all things scrumptious or crafty
http://figswithbri.com/
samsun
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007 11:37:37 AM »

If you like lentils you might want to give this a go. However the ingredients are not measured as it's an old recipe where we just put it into the pot . Here goes.

Onion
Carrots
Red Lentils
Rice or Potato to thicken
Tin of Tomatoes
Pured Tomato
Dried Mint
Chiken or Vegetable Stock

First chop the onion roughly, unless you do not want to blend it in which case chop finely.

Add sliced carrots, although to speed things up we usually use tinned carrots.

Add a hand full of rice or some diced potato to thicken the soup. The rice will give a thicker result.

Add the tinned tomato and a little pured tomato.

Add the stock to fill the pot about 3/4 full, you can always add more as it cooks.

Add about 2 teaspoons of mint.

Cook for for about 20 - 30 mins if using tinned carrots or until the carrots are cooked if using fresh.

When cooked blend the soup, to get a smoother soup you can add little butter, but it doesn't really need it.

We quite often add a little lemon juice and seasoning  in the bowl before eating it with bread.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JessicaH
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007 05:35:03 PM »

two words:
french onion.

yummmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Plastic Bottle Lanterns
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Magic Wands

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...