A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 315,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
230 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Massive Head Is Cold  (Read 982 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

dawnsierra
« on: November 15, 2007 07:05:36 AM »

I'm looking for a crochet pattern for a hat to fit my head. Granted I could always try simply adding a row or a stitch or two but I'm terrible at adjusting patterns being I'm still pretty new to crochet...

I'd really like to be able to find maybe even, dare I say, a small collection of different hats that work well for large craniums or can EASILY be made large by adding a row or two. Wink

Help?

(Every hat I've tried so far is much too small. My last attempt was bythehook's bobble beauty http://bythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/91.html; wayyyy too small for my head. Now I must find a tiny headed friend to give it to..)  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My very empty etsy shop...
http://dawnsierra.etsy.com

My deviant art account...
http://dawnsierra.deviantart.com
angeldream1179
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007 07:12:17 AM »

try http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=e05768&categoryid=29
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007 09:49:04 AM »

Ok there's a few things that you can try.
First get a balloon and blow it up so the widest part is as wide as your head is around. This is your test model.

Now the hat you picked is actually a great choice and I think it can be easily modified.
Try using a bigger hook and try the hat on the balloon as you go. Mainly when you get to the rows that are just single crochet. That's the part that hugs your head.
If it's to small take out 2 decreases and just single crochet in those two stitches instead. Still too small? Take out two more.

You have to not be afraid to rip the stitches back out. The wonderful thing about crochet is you can always go back to where the project was working correctly and then start from there on.

Mark the row once you get it the way you want it and that way you know where to rip back to. Smiley

If the entire hat is to small try this for something simple that will fit:
Make a circle big enough to fit on the top of your head. Then start just crocheting in each stitch around to make it grow in to your hat shape. Need it bigger? Make a few increases. I typically increase by 2's.

Another option is to use a bigger hook and yarn. Follow the pattern the same way and see if that makes it bigger.

those are the easiest ways I know of since I don't know of any patterns labeled for larger heads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
dawnsierra
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007 10:03:10 AM »

Thanks very much the replies!

I like the thick % quick pattern, its nice and simple and I think I should be able to handle it well enough. Wink
Though I'd love to find some more girly type hats too. I think that would be a good one for my Dad for this Christmas though. (Hes the one who apparently gave me this massive head. lol)

All the advice is really helpful too. I've been worried about straying from patterns perhaps a bit too much. I also have some very large hooks but being their not numbered/lettered I have no idea what size they are. lo l:D

I do worry though that using my own head as a gauge for hats may be bad being I have a larger than average size head; at the same time, though, I think perhaps it might be better to have a hat a little big rather than a little too small.

Thanks again for the help I think might have to go back and give bythehook's hat pattern another go.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My very empty etsy shop...
http://dawnsierra.etsy.com

My deviant art account...
http://dawnsierra.deviantart.com
itscribe
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007 11:53:37 AM »

I can completely relate to the huge cranium issue. My family teases me that my head had to be bigger to hold my huge brain that so often goes into overdrive - some days that's a compliment.  Roll Eyes

If you have trouble buying store bought hats as I do, I would suggest you find someone else to be your model if you make hats for family members. Hats that fit me, droop down and cover other people's eyes and make them look like a toddler would wearing an adult hat. Better to ruin the surprise element of a gift than to give a totally useless one.  Wink

You could do like I've been known to do, I make my victim (errr, I mean my gift recipient) close their eyes while I position, stretch and otherwise fit a hat to their head. They aren't allowed to touch it either. So while they know they are getting a hat, and perhaps if it is warm or not; they have no idea as to the color, shape, or texture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purpleone
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007 12:16:46 PM »

My mom's teaching me to crochet a hat, and I'm using a balloon -Eliea's right, it works Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007 01:39:29 PM »

My mom's teaching me to crochet a hat, and I'm using a balloon -Eliea's right, it works Smiley
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
I love your avatar btw. Smiley
I can completely relate to the huge cranium issue. My family teases me that my head had to be bigger to hold my huge brain that so often goes into overdrive - some days that's a compliment.  Roll Eyes

If you have trouble buying store bought hats as I do, I would suggest you find someone else to be your model if you make hats for family members. Hats that fit me, droop down and cover other people's eyes and make them look like a toddler would wearing an adult hat. Better to ruin the surprise element of a gift than to give a totally useless one.  Wink

You could do like I've been known to do, I make my victim (errr, I mean my gift recipient) close their eyes while I position, stretch and otherwise fit a hat to their head. They aren't allowed to touch it either. So while they know they are getting a hat, and perhaps if it is warm or not; they have no idea as to the color, shape, or texture.
I have to "reveal" my presents sometimes too becasue my brother is just so hard to pick things for. It really is better for them to have something they like. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
SomethingSweet
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007 02:52:09 PM »

Hey, here's a simple hat from crochetme with separate instructions for those of us with larger brains Wink

http://crochetme.com/cranium

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...