A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 314,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
154 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making paperweights  (Read 1160 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

lreidlinger

If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2007 10:19:14 PM »

Hello craftsters-

so, I found these paperweights that I really really want. They are dandelion puffs encased in resin. I've only ever used resin ondce when I made a HUGE coffee table out of leftover brick and mortar and wood to cover all the brick and mortar to give it a nice smooth top. That was super easy, I just mixed and poured. Can anyone tell me how I could go about making these awesome awesome paperweights? THANX!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The way I see it... If you need both of your hands for whatever it is you're doing, then your brain should probably be in on it too." - Ellen DeGeneres
andy8715
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007 12:17:19 AM »

I don't know but I want that first one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest.com/andy8715
Cherry_Chickentoes
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007 01:58:35 AM »

I don't know, either, but I want to know, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will trade my ephemera scans for your ephemera scans - please PM me if you are interested!
Mucha
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007 05:57:46 AM »

Thats a toughy,with something as light as that dandylion,as Id think it will buckle under the weight of the resin.
Is there a way of making it rigid, like freezing it, then encasing it in resin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lreidlinger

If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007 09:52:01 AM »

Thats a good idea. Funny story, I actually just happen to have a frozen dandelion puff in my freezer. LOL. I was out walking my dog one morning and there it was. I thought it was cool, so I picked it and brought it home to my honey. He's suggested dipping it in liquid nitrogen. Thats what were going to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The way I see it... If you need both of your hands for whatever it is you're doing, then your brain should probably be in on it too." - Ellen DeGeneres
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007 10:37:23 AM »

Casting Craft (or Castin Crafts/Cast N Craft - it comes in a blue metal container) makes a resin that is easy to use.  It smells though (in a way that rubber cement smells... kinda good. ha ha).

You just have to find some kind of destructible mold to use.  Maybe you could make a silicone mold that can pull away and leave a sphere??  Not sure.  But the resin part works great - you just measure it out, mix it with catalyst and pour.

As for the dandelion, the freezing part seems like a good idea, but I'm sure you can buy something that preserves it and keeps its form to pour resin over.

Did that make any sense?  I just drank a peach bellini.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...