A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 314,015
Currently Running With Scissors:
192 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: (A year late) My Formal Dress  (Read 33107 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress , formal , formal_dress , dress , prom , prom_dress , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2007 12:19:21 PM »

Congrats on being a Featured Project!  Thanks for sharing... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2007 04:51:09 PM »

Wow!!  I sooo want this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
sewingcybermom

What are you sewing today?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2007 10:52:19 PM »

Beautiful job!! I teach sewing to students after school ages 11-14.  What patience.  I made this dress for a fromal for one of my daughter's friends. We did the buttonholes with the ribbon lacing and it was beautiful. Here's my question. If you just sewed the ribbons down, how did you get in and out of the dress? We had a zipper under the lacings, and I assume you did, but I can't figure out, if you actually tacked the ribbons down, how'd you open the zip?  Just curious. Your teacher, friend and you should be proud!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - where my camera meets my work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18784537@N04/

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.net
Tsuya
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2007 01:16:58 PM »

Beautiful! and I don't know if anyone said anything but I believe the mock up is called Twaling (or something like that). I call it a muslin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
varandra
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2007 01:25:31 PM »

Wow, very nice! I actually like that you didn't make holes for the ribbon lace up, it looks a lot neater your way.
I love the straight lines and the width of the skirt. Did you wear a tulle underskirt, or does the dress just fall that way?
It fits you like a glove!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly. Friendly in general.

LOOKING FOR COFFEE PACKAGES ( the "heavy-plastic-bag-type") FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. CONTACT ME FOR PERSONAL SWAP. Smiley

Blog

Inspiration for swap partners:  wists
MurderInPaint
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2007 04:47:44 PM »

I want it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tivaclare
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2007 07:47:10 PM »

So beautiful and elegant, especially for a younger gal (that's a good thing). So many gowns for girls are just poofy and obnoxious. That dress makes you look like a star.

I adore the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluro_blue
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2007 07:58:25 PM »

I have a question: does the ribbon can be tightened or loosened in the corset look on the back to fit the body if somehow you gain or lose weight?
The pattern actually calls for button holes on the back, so you can tighten and loosen them slightly but they don't really do much except look pretty. Mine were sewed down so I couldn't adjust them at all.

If you just sewed the ribbons down, how did you get in and out of the dress? We had a zipper under the lacings, and I assume you did, but I can't figure out, if you actually tacked the ribbons down, how'd you open the zip?

The zip was actually on the right hand side of the dress Tongue Which was great because I don't know what I would have done with the lacing and everything otherwise lol.

Wow, very nice! I actually like that you didn't make holes for the ribbon lace up, it looks a lot neater your way.
I love the straight lines and the width of the skirt. Did you wear a tulle underskirt, or does the dress just fall that way?
It fits you like a glove!
I did have a layer of tulle underneath. I tried to get it as close to the blue on the back as possible. I thought it looked great when I stepped or pulled the skirt up slightly and you could see this flash of blue Wink

Thanks Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GothicFeverDream
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2007 03:40:50 PM »

that is quite lovely
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"..I can dim the lights and sing you songs filled with sad things, we can do the tango just for two, I can serenade and gently play upon your heart strings, be your Valentino just for you.."

http://www.myspace.com/sneauxwhyte627
montyfull
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2007 05:55:07 PM »

I'm sure someone's posted it already, but I'm too sleepy to run through 9 pages of replies!  The mockup can be called a toile, a mockup, or a muslin...depending on where you're from and who you learned from. Smiley

You did a great job on that dress, too. It looks professional, and it fits you SO well!! Congrats Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Everything in moderation...even moderation. ~

my wists: http://www.wists.com/montyfull
I'm open for personal swaps!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Earth-Friendly Gift Wraps
Meatless Monday: Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes
@Home This Weekend: No-Kill Cactus

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...