A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,880
Currently Running With Scissors:
297 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The 2007 "What do I make for..." thread!  (Read 38571 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
dancedupapillon
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2007 06:47:38 PM »

I'm making a magic yarn ball for a friend of mine, complete with handmade needles and a pattern.  The problem, though, is that I'm not sure what kind of pattern/yarn/size of needles to give.
a little about her:
~she has really curly hair and a personality to match (really bubbly)
~She used to tapdance competitively and rock at it, but she has lots of problems with one of her feet
~She's a ski instructor/coach
~She's really outgoing and a bit of a glamourpus
~she can cast on/bind off, knit, and purl. I'm hoping to introduce her to double points with this gift
I made her mittens last year in her favorite colours (red and black) and I'm not sure she'd be the type to wear wool socks like I do.  Help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
ryepie
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2007 08:18:23 PM »

What to do for Dear Ol' Pops?!?

So, my father had a mid-life crisis a while ago, i.e. his sports car.  It's black and fast and that's about all I know about it.  Pops spent the first twenty-five years of his married existence providing for Mummers, Sisser, and I, so even though I'm not really in favor of fast cars that get poor fuel economy or conspicuous consumption or the fetishization of conspicuously-consumed consumer goods (whew), I think it's sweet and sort of dorky that Pops's car makes him so damn happy.

About Pops:
He's a simple guy, i.e. he won't wear a nice scarf (prefers things with "utility")
Likes the Allman Brothers
Drives Mummers, Sisser, and I crazy when we try to find gifts for him.
Uh...  did I mention that he's "simple"?  Not in a stupid way, just a lifestyle way.

What I can do:
knit, crochet, sew, paint, sculpt, jewelry-making/ beading, book binding, glass etching, etc.

I'd like to do something involving his car.  Ideas for something that is practical?

Thanks for reading!!

if this is a bad idea, just disregard it!  Grin my ex-boyfriend used to keep a little notebook in his car where he recorded the mileage his car got to a litre (dorky, i know Roll Eyes what if you made him a book for this exact purpose? the point of it is to make sure your car is in good condition, i think, because if you start getting less mileage per litre than you know that you have to take it in for a tune up...or something? i don't really know.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissap824
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2007 10:11:53 PM »

Ok so I got my boyfriend a pair of puma shoes...Ended up giving them to him early..He didnt even like them..So now..The stress is on to get an amazing x-mas gift..I am buying him a game but i want to make something really meaningful too..But i made him so much already...

What I can do.
Sew(by hand)
Scrapbook(already made him one)
Lame stuff.

About him.
Hes really into games (guitar hero,Gears of war)
Comic books(made him a spider man pillow he has blankets)
Tv shows (hes really into angel right now)
Music(but only in the car and stuff like that)
Sleeps....TO MUCH..
Lives at home but is barely ever there(always working or by me)
We have a thing about Those bug cars..We always look for them and play that game slug bug..So i would like to do something cute like that...

I was thinking maybe putting a little bug car on his stocking cuz we are also giving each other those(any ideas on things to put in that would be lovely too)

Lol i'm just totally at a loss here...Help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
circus

BIKES BABIES AND BEER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2007 02:28:04 AM »

I have no idea what to make my dad!
My mom is easy- she's a quilt artist so she's getting some pincushions, a scarf I've been promising for years, jewelry and some soaps- but dad is well.. slightly boring! He's very much into kayaking (like every other white man over 50 in the suburbs) and uh... book club? I have no idea! Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

halblingefrau

Skillz. I has dem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2007 06:31:36 AM »

Can you knit?  A kayaker might appreciate a wooly, warm pair of socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog | Wists

PM me for personal swaps.
Wildfyre
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2007 08:14:53 AM »

Wildfyre, that's an amazing idea!!  I did a quick search, and it looks like a custom knob to fit his car would be pretty expensive (~$100).   Undecided  I might have to skip that idea for this Christmas, but save it for another occasion (it would be perfect for his retirement, I think).

Other ideas?
Oh I meant to make one.. and maybe use a generic cheapo from a parts store as a guide.. all you'd really need to know is how big of a hole in needs to have on the bottom and if it screws on or not.. and you could make a customer shifter out of almost anything roundish
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danadanger
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2007 09:18:36 AM »

Can any of you wonderful craftsters help me out with figuring out a gift for a friend? I didn't think we were exchanging, but she recently asked for my address so I guess we are!  She's really into biking (bicycling), I was hoping I could craft something around that, but she also has a dog that she loves a lot.  My main skill is sewing, and I have tons of fabric around.  Also, it should be light-ish, as I'll have to mail it.  Thanks for any ideas!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007 09:20:04 AM by danadanger » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2007 09:26:11 AM »

Danadanger, I realize you're probably looking for something to craft, but I can't help but think the very PERFECT gift for your friend (based on the info you gave) would be one of those leash attachments for bikes that allows your dog to run along side without any danger of getting running over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frix220

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2007 11:47:16 AM »

Can any of you wonderful craftsters help me out with figuring out a gift for a friend? I didn't think we were exchanging, but she recently asked for my address so I guess we are!  She's really into biking (bicycling), I was hoping I could craft something around that, but she also has a dog that she loves a lot.  My main skill is sewing, and I have tons of fabric around.  Also, it should be light-ish, as I'll have to mail it.  Thanks for any ideas!

How about one of those little bags that attaches to the dog leash and holds baggies for cleanup after Spot does his business. Go to etsy & search for 'dog bag'. I didn't want to link anyone's item Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com
ShimmeringFae
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2007 12:52:12 PM »

My dad is the hardest person to get gifts for, he's hard to BUY for. you're so brave for crafting for your's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...