A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: denim?  (Read 671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 13, 2007 09:20:03 AM »

I know you can spin sari silk with a yarn or by itself. Is it possible to do the same thing with denim?
I purchased 53 pairs of jeans (varying sizes) at our church yard-sale and paid only a 1.00 (stuff it in a box for 1.00 yes please!)
I was thinking about the many ways to use the jeans: sewing, recons, aprons, purses, and then Spinning!
Any ideas? I have plenty to experiment with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007 09:44:56 AM »

it seems like very thick strips of denim would not hold their twist as well as say, spun newspaper or some equally adventurous thing.

I would suggest shredding it and carding/blending with wool.....not so shredded you can't tell what it is, but maybe pieces that start out very thin  and have one large chunk in the middle of a long, thin strip...i think it'd be easier to spin that way...
make sure to post what you do!

[I think I remember pluckyfluff selling some batts with denim in them once.]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
froggyfibers

Ribbit Ribbit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007 10:35:36 AM »

Why not experiment with it. Like you said you've got plenty to work with.
If I was in your place I would probably cut varying widths of jeans and play around with it. Add some wool or add some lace or spin really tight and ply with a thick thread.
I dunno, seems like you could have a lot of fun with it.
I have 3 or 4 pants legs that I cut off and i keep thinking it would be great to weave them into a funky scarf or something. The again, I don't know how to weave and don't have the equipment..... Maybe I'll play around with spinning jeans too.  Wink

(Of course, there is denim fiber sold commercially. Thats basically just jeans that have been shredded back down to threads. You can card with it or just add it occasionally for slubby numbby effects. You could probably do some work on the old jeans and end up with a similar fiber product. Seems like a lot of work though.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007 10:57:42 AM »

I like both of your ideas. I can use a few legs to try things with and see what happens. I was thinking of strips or cutting it up into really thin pieces and trying to "brush" it with my cards (aka dog brushes).
I could always try distressing the denim a bit first with a brick or rock or something and see how that goes. Smiley
I"d welcome more ideas! I can't wait to try it.
What do you guys think a light or heavy spindle? I have both so I can try both...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...