A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 313,996
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Totally the same color... or not...  (Read 694 times)
Tags for this thread: perler_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Smeddley
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 14, 2016 02:02:29 PM »

I hate perler beads.  There, I said it.  I know they're a kid-level craft, and many adults are super-masters, and their stuff looks great, but I cannot work with them.  I'm normally a very patient crafter, but these little things just drive me up the wall.  And I'm horrible at getting them to fuse properly.  But this time...

(Full disclosure: these are borrowed supplies, and the bead were all in a mixed tub, and they may - well, apparently were - from different sets/batches?)

So I start sorting, and I need a dark pink, light pink, white, and black.  Not tough.  I'm using a paint tray to sort because it's what I had on hand.

These all look the same, right?  Okay, a few seemed a little more... transparent?  But not hugely obvious or anything, I figured it was just a little color variation, it would blend... it would be fine...

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  Not even close, once ironed.

Once I saw the color difference I just went on ironing to see how flat/melted I could get it, to see if I could get it smooth (the answer is no, I could not, it just started to look over-melted and weird).

I know there are all these methods with tape and fancy things and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure I'm just hanging up my perler bead apron forever.  It's just too time-intensive and far, far, far too easy to mess up after you've put all that time into it.  I don't mind spending time on things, but I prefer it when I have a little more control over it... and/or am better at it... D:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwality570
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016 11:16:11 AM »

I've tried several projects with Perler beads too, but nothing really made me love them. I do know that there are several different sets and brands and I've accidentally mixed up my stash and that's a nightmare too. Some are shorter than others and melted faster! I didn't realize it until I went to press them. I also don't like the fiddliness of it. I'd rather cross stitch. You have to pay as much attention and it takes forever too, but at least with that you can take some stitches out if there is a mistake.
Honestly, I like your care bear being multiple shades of pink. it makes it look furry to me. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016 10:08:52 AM »

I thought you mixed the pinks on purpose to give it a more real look. It looks OK to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016 08:31:34 AM »

I think it would be kind of boring all one color.  I notice the beads around the edge are nearly all darker; did you choose to do that, or did it happen in heating?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Updated Yardbird
Tute Tuesday: Apple Cozy
What The World Needs Now...

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...