A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
325 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Medical help (possibly TMI)  (Read 3630 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2007 05:13:26 PM »

Hello all,

I'm hoping that this post doesn't fall under TMI.  I've got a bit of an issue.  I have a rash on my hands (no idea what's causing it, and it's been around for a couple of years now, moving around my hands)... anyhow, lately it's been on my left hand on the lower part of my pinky and down my hand a bit.  This is where I wrap my yarn while crocheting to get good tension!

I'm going through withdrawal not being able to crochet, and I was hoping someone here might have an idea of how I could cover it. 

I was thinking of wrapping a regular bandaid around the base of my pinky and putting an elbow bandaid over the rest of it, but that could get expensive...

Any ideas?

(or maybe the number of a good doctor in Toronto...^_-)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

everkutz
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007 05:26:58 PM »

How about wearing a soft cotton glove on that hand? 

That's about all I can think of.  Hope you find a way to heal so you can get back to crocheting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
h0p31355

How *hard* could it be?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007 05:31:14 PM »

i have really rough calluses on my index finger and when i crochet i hate how it rubs.

i just bought some medical gauze and tape and wrapped the gauze up, and held it in place with the tape, it slips on and off pretty good and it was cheap

maybe this will work for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~h0p31355~
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007 08:33:01 PM »

well if its the bottom part of your pinky and the side of your hand, i would suggest kind of like everkutz but instead of just a regular glove, i would suggest fingerless gloves. Or, take a soft cotton glove like everkuts suggested and cut off the tips of the fingers, that way the yarn doesnt rub your hand but your fingers are still free to do things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007 03:54:50 AM »

Thank you all for  your replies!

I hadn't thought of those gloves... I never wear them because I have really long fingers and they just don't seem to fit.  But if I cut the fingers off... hmm.

I'm going to have to give that a try!

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007 04:10:00 AM »

i would see a Dr. if its a persistant rash, you could have an allergy...

its not deadly, but why put your body through that?

and ^^ what they said lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007 04:18:35 AM »

I've seen a doctor about it a few times.  He gives me a different cream every time.  Each of them made the rash go away, but then it would pop up somewhere else.

I need to find a good allergist.  I've gone through everything that I use and I can't figure out what could be causing it.

Though, my Dad went and got some allergy tests done (the kind where they poke your arm a bunch of times through some kind of allergy samples...) and he seemed to fall asleep at random intervals each time.  It turns out that he was allergic to the preservative they used in each of the samples!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

colorlessblue
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007 07:28:05 AM »

i hate allergy tests.. i've done them a few times and each time i was positive for different things. it seems really random to me.
besides, if your rash appears in different body parts when you treat your hand, maybe it's not an allergy to something you're touching. have you or your doctors considered psoriasis or other skin problems like that? i have psoriasis and it took me almost a year and about 6 different doctors to discover what it was, because the doctors kept treating it with creams that only made it go away temporarily. depending on which body part the rash was at the time, they treated it as contact allergy, infection, food allergy, and so on. one of them even suspected i had some kidney disturbance. and they had a know-it-all attitude that didn't help, as they didn't even ask for exams most of the time. it was a friend of mine who was still on med school who told me what i had and, after that, i argued with a doctor till he made a biopsy to confirm.
ahem. sorry. i'll stop ranting now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather be a climbing ape than a falling angel."
Terry Pratchett
http://colorlessblue.blogspot.com/
OGiRl
Outstanding in my field (mind the carrots!)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007 07:42:34 AM »

If the glove doesn't work (and you don't think it will bother your skin), get a roll of bowler's skin protection tape (not the grip tape).  It's pretty much the same stretchy stuff as a fabric bandage without the wound pad and you can cut off as much as you need.  The Mr uses it on his thumb when he bowls.  I think he paid $10 for a roll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007 12:33:51 PM »

Thank you all for  your replies!

I hadn't thought of those gloves... I never wear them because I have really long fingers and they just don't seem to fit.  But if I cut the fingers off... hmm.

I'm going to have to give that a try!

Thanks again!

Yay! I had a good idea for once lol I'm not really fond of full gloves in general, my fingers are tiny but i hate having to take gloves off when i want to do something. I feel so...fumbly trying to do something with gloves on which is why i suggested cutting the tips off. But if it helps with the fit because of your long fingers, that's an added bonus! and personally, I think that would be the cheapest way to go because its reusable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stained Chairs
Tute Tuesday: Box of Chocolates Wreath
Sweet Hearts

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...