A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
207 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone paint vinyl siding?  (Read 1560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
jen53207
« on: November 05, 2007 09:30:59 AM »

I've looked online and apparently it is possible to paint vinyl siding but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done it that would like to tell me the pros and cons. I'm specifically worried about how many coats it would take to go over white siding to get a nice finish and if there is a problem with peeling or chipping.

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TVgrrl
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008 10:05:42 AM »

I know you posted this several months ago but maybe you will see this.

YES you CAN paint vinyl siding! Thank the heavens because our house was a two-tone nightmare. The best (and really only) siding paint is made by Sherwin Williams. You have to select from the Vinyl Safe color pallete which isn't huge but still has about 100 colors.

The pigments they use in Vinyl Safe keep the siding from buckling and warping from heat absoprtion. Once you pick a color, you have to go with either SuperPaint or Duration. Neither are cheap, but Duration is like 50$ a gallon(!) and Super Paint is about 20$ a gallon. They have sales around alll the major holidays. So you can do really well if you buy all the paint you need at once in 5 gallon containers.

We rented a sprayer from them and it was totally worth it. You can do your whole house in a day -- maybe 2 if you have a big house. One thorough coat is fine and then you can come back around and hit any spots you missed. Just make sure you tape and tarp over your landscaping and windows/doors and it goes really fast.

For kicks, we tried a lower grade paint, same color, on the alley side of our garage. The siding totally warped and buckled after a month.  So don't stray from those two high end paints they sell with the Vinyl Safe color. It really does hold up well. Our neighbors were amazed at the tranformation. Please PM me if you have any questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jen53207
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008 03:16:34 PM »

wow - thanks so much for replying. this project is definitely on my 'to do' list in the next couple of years. Our siding is in fine shape but the is stained and just looks run down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moxie574
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008 08:56:02 PM »

Great to know, I am really wanting to paint my house as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All Vintage, All the time.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...