A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
192 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beginner... would this project be a little *too* adventurous for me?  (Read 1224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
hawtmamah
« on: October 31, 2007 07:19:11 AM »

I just started crocheting and thanks to nexstitch.com i've been able to really get the hang of alot of the stitches out there... my only issue is reading patterns. So i've kind of been winging alot of the stuff im doing instead of following the pattern to a T...

anyway. I want to make a table cloth for my table. A big project, but i'm  getting antsy to work on something other than hats and wrist warmers and scarves...

So i was thinking of doing a shell stitch in the round, but would that work laying flat? i was hoping to find some really nice lacey yarn with metallic accent to compliment the hardware in our kitchen.. but i haven't found a pattern for it and really have no idea how it would turn out.... Ami trying ot bite off more than i can chew at this point? yikes! i don't know where to start to research it, really... any advice would be welcomed....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

samistrange
Being surly is my superpower.

Yeah yeah, blah-dey blah blah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007 07:24:05 AM »

It would lay flat in the round if you make sure to increase enough as you go. That'll probably take some trial and error, but you can do it. Just keep in mind that it's okay to stop once in a while and work on something else. A project that large can make you crazy if you try to do it all at once!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://gaugebeforebeauty.blogster.com/

Of course tattoos hurt...they're applied with needles, not kitten whiskers and bunny tails.
OGiRl
Outstanding in my field (mind the carrots!)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007 09:22:40 AM »

I don't think it would be too much to have a go with.  My only thoughts are that it might get monotonous, and shell stitch by itself can be thick and heavy.  (think storage) I guess it depends on the effect you want and the size of the table.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawtmamah
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007 09:42:39 AM »

I don't think it would be too much to have a go with.  My only thoughts are that it might get monotonous, and shell stitch by itself can be thick and heavy.  (think storage) I guess it depends on the effect you want and the size of the table.   

it's not a big table... just a small circular big enough for 4 people (and that's getting crowded)

Would using a light (is it called a 'fingering'??) yarn work better? I'm wanting more of a lace-y drape-y cover, not a thick heavy stiff thing...

i thought using something like lionbrand cotton (i guess the kind you would use for making kitchen cloths, etc) would be best, and i can possibly dye it before hand.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007 10:37:40 AM »

fingering yarn would be thinner but a lot of the time is only found in baby colors...i reccomend crochet thread. thats typically what crocheted tablecloths are made out of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawtmamah
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007 02:47:19 PM »

fingering yarn would be thinner but a lot of the time is only found in baby colors...i reccomend crochet thread. thats typically what crocheted tablecloths are made out of.

awesome, thanks for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rheatheylia

...I think I could make one of those...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007 07:13:20 PM »

Maybe you could find a nifty doily pattern and use a heavier weight yarn (like sport or laceweight) to make it table sized, that way it wouldn't take forever to make a table cloth out of crochet thread (my mom has been working on a tablecloth since before I was born, heh).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rheatheylia.com/index.php?page=patterns
Crochet Patterns, hats and amigurumi
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007 10:14:21 AM »

Nothing is too adventurous! If you want to do it you can. One thing when you are making something up as you go is don't be afraid to rip it out and go back. Stitch markers will be your friend and when you are happy with a section place a stitch marker there so you know you can rip back to that point but don't rip out the part you like.
I do like the idea of finding a pattern in a doily that you like and making it bigger that's the easiest thing to do.
The other thing to try is I believe crochet pattern central also has stitch directions so pick a few shells you like and experiment to see which you like. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
SilentMynerva
Crafty Goddess!

The Silent Roman Goddess of Wisdom!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007 04:33:00 PM »

be careful tho.... when you deal with shells you might have to either iron it in the end or block it..... they like to squeeze together and not always like to lay flat.... I figured that out the hard way.. hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...