A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
202 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raggidy new purse, pseudo directions now included.  (Read 1691 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
moecantsew

I am a scientist who crafts or is it the other way

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2007 01:14:59 PM »

My aunt had the neatest little purse that she had learned how to make when she bought her super cool new sewing machine and took a class to learn how to use it.  Well, she showed me how to make it the other day and these are the results after a lot of laughing and cussing.  I am eager to make another!

http://picasaweb.google.com/aliciamjacobs/PursePics

The straps can be pulled so it is a yellow bag, a different look:  Straps pulled so it is a green bag, and it has bonus inside pockets!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2007 06:00:14 AM by moecantsew » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dottcomm1
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007 06:39:15 PM »

this is awesome!! and you did a great job. love the way you made the strap.

any chance for a tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cwo3112
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007 06:40:41 PM »

That's a really nice purse.  Love the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cutek94
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007 10:47:10 AM »

this is awsome!
& no posting pics, is not hard at all =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting = my love <3
Michelyne

Careful, that's a load-bearing thread!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007 05:47:52 PM »

Really cute and unique! Thumbs up!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moecantsew

I am a scientist who crafts or is it the other way

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007 06:50:40 PM »

Thanks for all the compliments!  I am a sewing disaster (hence the moecantsew--its totally true!), so I can give you a basic description of the method.  It is really a messy look so great for messy sewers such as myself. 

I used 3 flat quarters cut into quarters to make the sides and the bottom.  In order to do this you just put them wrong sides together with a piece of batting about a 1/2 in smaller than the squares in the middle and sew a big X through the sides.  On the bottom I put in a piece of plastic canvas to make it sturdier, again cut the same as the batting. 

For inside pockets use a piece of fabric twice the depth that you would like the pocket to be - fold in half and stitch onto the bottom half of the purse - you can stitch these only in the middle to make 2 pockets, or stitch smaller sections to make pen pockets, cell phone pockets, etc.  The sides do not need to be hemmed onto the bag at all. 

On the edge that will be the top of the purse you need to fold down the layers of fabric and stitch a hem to the outside.  It doesn't need to be double folded because you just chop up the edges to make the fringy look. 

Stitch all of the sides together to make a cube - the unfinished edges all out so you can make fringes.  Make sure you get the pockets stitched on the side in this step. 

Likewise with the bottom - stitch to make the bottom of the cube.  I don't know if there is any good method to do this, I just stitched one side on at a time, making sure the short ends went with their respective sides.  It is a bit tricky, but if I can do it anyone can. 

For the handle I used 2 pieces that were 36 in long and 8 inches wide, sewed them together to make a long strip, then placed batting in the middle, folded in half to hide the edges and stitched down each long side with a zigzag.

The handle is strung through button holes stitched at the top corners of each side of the purse, then finished (the ends are sewn together).

Lastly clip all of the edges into neato fringe and throw in the washer to even it out.  I really don't think anyone can screw this one up, it is so simple.  It took me about 4-5 hours to do learn how to do it. 

whew - that was a long post.  PM me if you have any questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007 10:06:14 AM »

Really cool purse, thanks for the directions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
irasema

I'm creative - you can't expect me to be neat too!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007 08:12:28 AM »

i love all the inside pockets! i am thinking about taking one of those sewing classes so i can learn how to read a pattern  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST | BLOG | pintrest
dont mind me.... i'm rather random
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...