A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
282 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The 2007 "What do I make for..." thread!  (Read 38626 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ultimate_sacrifice
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2007 01:34:49 PM »

Thanks, I really like the apron idea and the bible quote!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2007 08:18:25 PM »

Ok I need help once again, you guys have come thru so far! This one is WAY out there! its for my mom, if I had to describe her in 2 words it would be pot head. I myself am not a smoker but thats basically what her life revolves around. I guess it could be worse right? She is the WORST to buy for. She doesn't collect anything, but likes maps (already made her a picture frame with a map on it) shes not a girly lady, no make up, no purse. She lives in jeans and t's. Shes works as a mechanic. I know she sounds like a dad and not a mom!! HELP PLEASE!!

I was just following the links back from the How to Make a Ribbon Star post, and found something that may work for your mom - they demonstrated how to make a secret compartment out of an ordinary lighter - a great stash spot for a small hit of weed perhaps?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/786803/how_to_make_a_secret_container_out_of_a_lighter/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
raspberryred615
« Reply #242 on: December 23, 2007 08:41:14 AM »

okay, so i think im suppose to post this right  here. i have this guy friend who is 18 and loves zelda. um he's wicked funny, like always quoting things. so im giving him a belated xmas gift (all my friends are basically doing that...) so my question is, what do i make this guy? (i can sew, knit, crochet a little....) like i was thinking something zelda or nintendo themed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #243 on: December 23, 2007 08:53:15 AM »

Ok I need help once again, you guys have come thru so far! This one is WAY out there! its for my mom, if I had to describe her in 2 words it would be pot head. I myself am not a smoker but thats basically what her life revolves around. I guess it could be worse right? She is the WORST to buy for. She doesn't collect anything, but likes maps (already made her a picture frame with a map on it) shes not a girly lady, no make up, no purse. She lives in jeans and t's. Shes works as a mechanic. I know she sounds like a dad and not a mom!! HELP PLEASE!!

I was just following the links back from the How to Make a Ribbon Star post, and found something that may work for your mom - they demonstrated how to make a secret compartment out of an ordinary lighter - a great stash spot for a small hit of weed perhaps?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/786803/how_to_make_a_secret_container_out_of_a_lighter/

that is genius!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FishyD
« Reply #244 on: December 24, 2007 06:38:39 AM »

MY FATHER!!!  he is ex-Marines (wait, what does he say, once a marine always a Marine? hehe)...he is active in the Marine Corps League currently, very proud ex-marine.  He also happens to LOVE hand made gifts!!  I bought some black cotton type material (no label and I'm not that familiar with it) last year that has the Marine Corps emblem on it in small 2 inch diameter circles all over, but I don't know how to use a sewing machine and so I'm not sure, I was considering a pillow, but I'm wanting some other ideas....I can do a basic hand stitch, but I admittedly am NOT great.  So far the only thing I have made for him for Christmas is a scarf and of course I want something more.  Any ideas?Huh Can you decoupage with material on a glass ball ornament?  Ihave about 3-1/4" glass ball ornaments as well....otherwise, I have no idea what to do....

thanks for suggestions!!

There are some very cool decopaged glass plates on this forum, using both paper and fabric!  You could do a plate and then fill it with cookies or steak or whatever he likes to eat!

MY FATHER!!!  he is 57, an ex-Marine (wait, what does he say, once a marine always a Marine? hehe)...he is active in the Marine Corps League currently, very proud ex-marine.  He also happens to LOVE hand made gifts!!  I bought some black cotton type material (no label and I'm not that familiar with it) last year that has the Marine Corps emblem on it in small 2 inch diameter circles all over, but I don't know how to use a sewing machine and so I'm not sure, I was considering a pillow, but I'm wanting some other ideas....I can do a basic hand stitch, but I admittedly am NOT great and can't run a sewing machine to save my life (SOMEDAY!!).  So far the only thing I have made for him for Christmas is a scarf and of course I want something more.  Any ideas?Huh Can you decoupage with material on a glass ball ornament?  Ihave about 3-1/4" glass ball ornaments as well....otherwise, I have no idea what to do....

thanks for suggestions!!

**UPDATED**  As I was looking through the "recent with pics" section, came across this thread, the lining of the purse is the same material I have for my dad, pretty much a 1 yard remnant....  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=214575.msg2307212#msg2307212

Why not take the Marine corp logo and make him some stuff with it.  First, you can take the fabric and make some ornaments for the tree for him - like the vintagy one someone here made with a styrofoam ball and strips of fabric pushed into it.  What about a BBQ apron for the summers - very very simple one?  How are you at painting?  Get some 4 inch by 4 inch tiles from the hardware store and paint the logo on them with permanent bakeable paints (you could use acrylics and put a clear varnish over too, but I prefer the permanent stuff), and when painted and baked, put some felt or cork on the bottom.  They make great coasters (I like the tumbled stone).  You can do the same with a larger tile and have a trivet.  You can paint glasses to match - just make sure that the paint is below where his lips would touch - it may be permanent, but better safe than sorry.  Or, etch some glasses or a nice beer stein for him.

Also, what getting a photo frame and either decoupaging the logo on the frame, painting the frame, or the matte, or painting or etching the glass with the logo, and putting an old service photo of him in it?

THANKS TO THE BOTH OF YOU, I had some ideas!  woohoo!  Unfortunately I was on such an extremely tight budget I really couldn't afford to purchase anything more, and should've listed what items I did have...BUT, I had these coasters that weren't regular tile, they were like $2 from Family Dollar with a cheap sticker on the top, but it came in its own holder, 4 coasters and already had cork on the bottom, SO, I took off the cheap sticker top, painted it white and cut out a circle of the marine corps emblem from the material I had, and decoupaged it to the top of the coaster.  I probably could've done more, but I had limited time and supplies.  I also had these glass jars with lids, and so I took another circle of the emblem and decoupaged it to the top of the lid, and I glass etched dad's name on the side of the jar using painters tape, then wrote with a sharpie his name, then used my exact-o to cut it out, then used Armor glass etch cream.  I really really hope he likes it!! Thanks you two for the ideas, here's what I ended up making:  The mod podge was still wet so its not clear, but they turned out nice enough I hope, of course I didn't take a pic of the completed project before I wrapped it, haha...

Thanks again!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...