A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,457
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: empty aquarium - what to do to make it creepy??  (Read 2574 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

glamourpuss
« on: October 18, 2007 01:49:49 PM »

so i'm throwing a halloween party and have been busy coming up with decorations for my apartment, but i can't figure out what to do with my aquarium.  my fish died a little while ago and i haven't gotten a new one yet... there are rocks and a few plastic plants, but thats about it.

any idea on how to make some fake dead fish? or any other thoughts on what to do with it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
maggie2187
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007 02:03:06 PM »

Floating body parts? Dyed red water?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glamourpuss
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007 02:05:42 PM »

ya was thinking that.... but planing on doing that in my bathtub, so was wondering if there was something else i could do.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
maggie2187
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007 02:21:06 PM »

Maybe now is a good time to adopt a tarantula and put it in there? Or you can get a fake crow and have it pecking at some eyeballs? Birds always freak me out
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dogwoodbonsai
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007 03:37:37 PM »

If you come across some of those toys that grow when you put them in water, not the sponges but the rubbery ones.  Maybe if you wrapped them before or during the growing stage with twine, gauze ore fishing line they will distort and mutate. 

You could go the toxic route and dye the water green/yellow and find mysterious things to float in it. (Create some creatures, blobs, aliens or pods with plastic, caulk, hot glue, toys and found objects)

Dry ice, perhaps?

I can think of some other things, but they would be a bigger clean up job.  Using different liquids that don't mix, like oil, water or alcohol.
Things look creepier when floating in thicker liquids or mucky water.  A little white paint or glue will make water look milky.

Hope this helps. Lets us know what you decide and post photos, please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eccoxile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007 03:41:22 PM »

mmm, if you could get a hold of a real fish skeleton that would be sweet.

but little tiny gravestones for your fishy friends would be appropriate! foam or sculpey or some such?
or a sunken ship, a snake/eel, black painted sticks and twigs...loch ness monster...

I really wouldn't dye the water (if you put any in there) or put -any- harmful chemicals in there for fear of future fishy friends. It would be safer to decorate dry then to have all this painted stuff and add water, unless it was well sealed.

how big is the tank? I just keep thinking of lavish scenes appropriate for my ....ill-fated 50 gal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeesaLove
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007 03:52:03 PM »

can you put a black light, light bublb where in the topper?
If you pull the centers out of higliters adn add to water let all the dye come out the water hill glow under a black light. (not sure how thaqt would effact you being able to use the tank for live fish again)

maybe some fish silhouettes cut from white fun foam (or skeletons) hagning form fishing line.

I'd fill it with a load of rubber rats & spiders.... that would freak me out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhino
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007 03:53:05 PM »

wash it out well and use jello this is a ocean one you could add a shark with body limbs it would be gory and edible. maybe even a atlantis themed tank.
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/jellodess/jello213.html

you could do a blood one with red jello (gelatin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning; my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair, that I'm living for something I can't even define. And there you are right there, in the mean time."
Out of Habit (Ani Difranco)
http://www.rhino.etsy.com
midget

craftiness out the wahzoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007 12:47:25 PM »

If you come across some of those toys that grow when you put them in water, not the sponges but the rubbery ones.  Maybe if you wrapped them before or during the growing stage with twine, gauze ore fishing line they will distort and mutate. 

haha very clever ideas. i had some of these groing animals a few weeks and i fooled a good 6 adults that my boyfriend "caught the stingy ray in our tub". haha had them going till i told them, even when they were right next to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.meloyelo.etsy.com
d.i.y = l.o.v.e
darkdaughter

Y tu mama tambien.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007 02:15:24 PM »

I like the idea of throwing a cartridge from a highliter in the water, then blacklighting it. You could make a couple mutant fish for it (or find Simpson's fishies) and add a toxic waste can. I think one of those Heineken mini kegs would make a perfect toxic barrel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears. -Edgar Allen Poe

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. -Nietzsche

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. -Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Top Hat
They Only Love You For Your Brain
Meatless Monday: Creamy Spinach and Potato Baked Eggs

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...