A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
186 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HALO cake? is this the right place?  (Read 2343 times)
Tags for this thread: halo  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

tied-in-knots
teh 0celot

machine gun baby

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2007 12:23:29 PM »

Okay, so, my fiance and I have already purchased half of our "cake topper" couple: http://www.amazon.com/Spartan-Sniper-Needler-Assault-Halo/dp/B000BI7XII

He will be posed without weapons (so as not to offend his family) and I'm making a coordinating (inasmuch as a chick in a dress can be coordinated with a Spartan) bride from polymer clay.

We decided to do cupcakes for our guests instead of cake, but we're having a quasi-traditional "wedding cake" display on an offset three-tier cake stand. The bottom tier will hold a cake for the cake cutting ceremony, which we will serve to our parents/wedding party. The top tier will hold the "cake top" that we're supposed to freeze and eat in a year, and the middle tier will display the figurines.

So, can anyone think of HALO-related cake decorating ideas, or any other ideas that might look cool with a guy in red Mjolnir?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It looks like some kind of cat."
"What, you mean like a puma?"
"Yeah man, there ya go."
ahpets00
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007 12:07:28 AM »

I'm a fan of having a Cortana figure as the bride...if they weren't so expensive and hard to find...  Plus maybe you'd prefer to not be represented as naked and purple on your wedding day.  Still, her "romance" with the Chief is quite a beautiful hero/heroine archetype that geeksmyself love...  I don't know what your "theme colors" are, but you could decorate the cupcakes to look like very pretty plasma grenades...sort of glowing blue with gold centers...?

Maybe I'm not helping, but I love your ideas so far.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ahpets00
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007 12:55:14 AM »

Oh! And maybe you could do your official couple-cake-cutting with one of these:

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Energy_Sword

http://cgi.ebay.com/Halo-Energy-Plasma-Sword-prop_W0QQitemZ290167057319QQihZ019QQcategoryZ43337QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tied-in-knots
teh 0celot

machine gun baby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007 01:46:02 AM »

Yeah, my main opposition to using Cortana is that purple clashes with our black and red Sad Also the naked thing - especially with how over-sexualized she is in Halo 3...wait, this is not the place for my video game rants.  Lips sealed
Talked to my darling boy today and we're strongly considering using the Marathon logo on one of the tiers...which we can do in any color and I think it'll look nice. The other tier is still a total mystery. As for the cupcakes, they'll probably be fairly simple - his family is rather old fashioned and VERY non-video game-friendly.
Energy sword = cake cutter? LOVE. Also your cookies. Want to be my new best friend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah man, there ya go."
ahpets00
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007 02:56:49 PM »

Red and black are GREAT colors!!  I love the idea of using the marathon logo.  There is a lot of good design in the game, so using the more abtract shapes (ie energy sword, logo), especially with your color theme, i think will come out beautifully.  which i guess means that using the other tier to create a bloody battlefield is out...

glad you liked my cookies.  Smiley  -your nbf

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tied-in-knots
teh 0celot

machine gun baby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007 07:32:45 PM »

Since it was YOUR idea ;P ... any idea how I could go about making an energy sword? I found nothing online, and no way could we shell out $190 for that one on ebay, awesome though it may be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah man, there ya go."
ahpets00
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007 02:13:22 PM »

I once saw one that someone had simply cut straight out of Plexiglas...  It was really simple and kind of pretty, I tried to find that image, actually, to post originally, but couldn't find it again.  Sad  I don't know if you or anyone you know have some handyman tools and skills, or if you could coerce a home-depot/OSH employee into throwing in some extra cuts on the piece you buy...  Those are my FIRST thoughts...  Smiley  I'm waaay into this whole concept, so I'll keep thinking. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tied-in-knots
teh 0celot

machine gun baby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007 02:38:22 AM »

I know nothing about glass crafting - I just want to make sure no one ends up eating shards of glass in their cake >.< Otherwise, I am also thinking plexi could look awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah man, there ya go."
BeowulfsBride
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007 08:31:58 PM »

My husband's a huge HALO fan, and the minute I mentioned this to him, he started making suggestions so fast that I couldn't keep up.

"If you wanted the bride to really co-ordinate with the spartan, but didn't want to use Cortana, you could try watching some of the screen shots from the Earth City level of Halo 2, When Sgt. Johnson delivers the scorpion tank. The level title is "Ladies like armor plating" There are female Marines ! you could try doing their jumpsuits in black, with red helmet and body plating, It would lend itself well to the spartan, and since the Spartan's armor is more red than black, the Marine's armor would be more black than red so they would coordinate each other. " (I told you he was a fan, lol)

he also suggested using the covenant and forerunner glyphs to decorate the cakes or cupcakes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around
Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...